The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Economics, Science Double Award (A*s) - Didn't do particularly well (got A for reports because I sucked up to teachers), but had a natural talent for cramming these two subjects (and my talent for bull**** in Economics)

Maths (A) - Didn't do well in study and revision, will never do well, surprised I got an A

Art (B)- Besides one module which I was really involved ('Emotion', and I studied heavily on Francis Bacon) , I didn't put maximum effort onother modules.

French (A)- Didn't do particularly well (that wouldn't have happened if I stayed in the foundation class- which still did the higher paper and didn't have a fecking useless French egotisitic bitch), didn't delibertly revise much either

English Literature (B)- Coursework wasn't too good (A's, B's), could have done more revision by getting familiar with texts (but I felt I might have been that I was too reckless in answering the questions)

English Language (A*)- No prepartion required, did straight-A courseworks though

History (A) - Always did well, did revise properly (but only got an A, was a bit disappointed)

ICT Short Course (A*) - Did well (cos it was easy), probably actually revised too much

That makes 6 bad 3 goods...and I got a good GCSE record so I assume I did revise hard.
Reply 2
i m doing my gcses this academic year. trying both to revise hard and work hard. i ve got mocks coming before xmas, which will predict my final gcse grade. so i m working hard, cuz i would like to apply to other 6th forms.
i worked hard last year, in year 10, especially in science, got full marks in the final exam for year 10, which counts as 25%.
Reply 3
A*'s in eng lit, food tech and chinese
high A's in english lang, eng lit, geography, economics, maths, double science
distinction gnvq ict

:tongue: lol i did quite well 4 my skl...

i workd quite hard
Reply 4
alexmac9
Hey guys, quick poll
also please post your results and if u were doing them again, what method you would use.

Did average work, revised hard day before exams. Got 6A* 4A.
Reply 5
i remember for the mocks, i didnt do as well as i could have, and i thought to myself that i would revise really really well a few months before the exams..but that takes soooo much dedication, so like most people i revised all night before the exam day. it didnt help when there were 2 exams on one day.. but i did ok in the ned :rolleyes: :smile:
Overall I got 1 A*, 6 As and 3 Bs, which I was really pleased with because I didn't want any Cs- not that Cs are bad or anything, I just personally wanted to aim a bit higher. I worked hard for the whole 2 years and revised a bit at the end, but not as much as I'd intended to.

French- A*. I didn't really revise for this because I was so well prepared anyway- we did loads of reading and listening past papers, and for the oral, we did every B and C card that had come up in the exam for the last 5 years. So all I did just before the exams was go over vocab and grammar really.

English- A. I didn't revise for this either as I don't really see how you can, but I got an overall A for my coursework (worth 40%) and found the exams quite straightforward.

English lit- A. I was quite surprised by this because I got the feeling I was just rambling on and not even answering the question.

Science- AA. I thought the exams were quite easy.

History- A. I was a bit disappointed not to get an A* because I got one in the mock and on my coursework, but I'm happy with an A.

RS- A. That was quite good since one of the questions really didn't make sense to me.

Maths- B. That really surprised me because the exams were impossible, especially non-calculator, and I only got a B for my coursework. My friend and I didn't really work that hard in maths because we hated it and we had a rubbish teacher anyway, so we just talked and messed about a bit. Considering Bs were the highest grades in my school and loads of people I know got Ds, I was really happy with that.

Food technology- B. Not bad considering I had a completely rubbish teacher and had to teach myself the whole syllabus the night before the exam! The coursework being worth 60% and me getting a very high B on it really helped me out there!

Media studies- B. That was a real shock as it was by far my worst subject. I got an E in my mock, so to go up 3 grades before the final exams was quite an achievement. I didn't even finish the first paper as I gave up, but the second one was better and I got a B on the coursework, which was worth 50%.
Reply 7
wow, it was rele stupid of me not to select the option which lists who voted for what...

from now on please state what option what you voted for!

thanks for the feedback guys, and well done on your exams!

Izzy - I am in the same position as you, we've got mocks coming up soon as well, and I'm worried because I personally am not going to get much time to revise and I know I haven't been working as well as I might have, so I have a feeling I'm not going to do particularly well.

I guess I was just wondering what method can get the good grades in the end.
Reply 8
I got 9A's and a B after doing bugger all work for 2 years however, I did read through my Letts revision guides the night before the exams if that counts as revision lol
Reply 9
Prodigy, lol. are you serious? what kind of grades were you getting in reports and such? aslo what were your predicted grades?
Reply 10
alexmac9
Hey guys, quick poll
also please post your results and if u were doing them again, what method you would use.

i just did the best i could........well most of the time :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Reply 11
Voted "did not work hard during the year, did not revise hard before the exams"

Ended up with 3 A's, one C and the rest B's. Could be worse I guess, but its not that great.

Well, I'd obviously aim to work hard all year and revise hard if I were to do them again :smile:
Reply 12
Voted 'didnt work hard, didnt revise hard'

But thats not to say I didn't work - I worked had when I needed to and only then. I was generally quite lazy and procrastinated a lot. As for revision, the intention was always there, but I couldn't concentrate, so not much got done, but a few days before the exams U really worked hard...but I didn't really revise as hard as I should have, though I did revise.

Came out with 5 A*s (Maths, English, Music and Double Science), 3 As (History, Business Studies and English lit) and a B (Astronomy) and a GNVQ Pass in ICT. The GNVQ would have been a Merit if I'd actually put some work in after January lol - English language and History results were both flukes, and so was Maths to some extent, but then again that paper was hard, so the boundaries were low...hmmm
My tip would be to work really hard in Year 10 as that is when the majority of the work and most of the coursework gets covered. Coursework is wonderful in that it gives you a lot of leeway, but be prepared to put in the effort for it. By that, I do not mean completing it a month in advance, but at least stay up the night before to put a good 8-10 hours into each piece.

I also did a lot more work for the coursework drafts and just tweaked it for the final thing. But that is partially to do with pedancy and I can't stand anyone reading anything that I know isn't very good.

Revision. I started revising in exam leave. For most of the exams, I revised the day before the exam, using a combination of the notes I had made in class and Letts revision guides. I never make any extra revision notes (waste of time) mainly because I don't think they help me, but each to their own.

I worked hard during Year 10 (got equivelant of 7A*s in Year 10 exams), dossed in Year 11 (6A*s in mocks, hah) and did okay in summer. Had nightmares for over a month and ended with 10A*s (and a top five :wink: ).

Just believe in yourself. That's the best advice I can give.

Megsy x :smile:
Reply 14
I revised really hard for my Year 11 mocks. And I would give that advice to anyone. If you revise well over Xmas and really put the effort it, you've learnt a lot of stuff well before the actual thing. And yes, you probably do forget a bit but when you're reading over your notes in the few days/night before the exam, things do come back to you. That said, I do have a good memory, but I still think that for the majority of people, thoroughly learning stuff early, then revision later on is a lot easier and a whole lot less stressful.

Plus doing well in your mocks gives you extra confidence which as deianra said is necessary. And you can content yourself with the fact that you were revising whilst it was raining and cold, whereas its much harder to spend gorgeous summer days revising in study leave.
deianra
dossed in Year 11 (6A*s in mocks, hah)

You call dossing getting 6 A*s??? I only got 1 A* in the real thing lol. But well done :smile:
I worked quite hard for the two years and didn't revise too hard before the exams. (Got 2 A*s in Year 10, 9 A*s in Year 11) My main revision was doing past papers, especially in Maths and Science. I barely used my written notes at all. Past papers are really important - exactly the same questions come up every couple of years.
I got 7 A*s and 3 As.

I didn't work that much during the year. Handed in homeworks late, didn't revise for tests etc. In science my teachers were really stressing as they thought I'd do really badly :biggrin: Turns out I managed to get AA! I basically worked really hard towards the end of the year and before the exams.
Reply 18
I got A*, A, B, B, B, C, C, C, C

I didnt really work through the year except on coursework in which I kicked ass! :biggrin: I revised a hell of a lot though but if i did it again i would devote more time to history, geog and PE because I spent sooooooo much time on maths(B-yay!!) I kinda neglected those three and had to settle for c's. The best thing is to work really hard on your coursework and do a moderate amount of revision.
4 A*
2 A
5 B

I was sooo happy to get 4 A*s, but at the same time very disappointed at 5 Bs! If I was to take them again, I would make sure I revised the sciences more, and I wouldn't sit staring at the clock instead of writing during the Literature exam!

Latest

Trending

Trending