The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
rkd

Debatable - RH was #10 for History in the Times last year, Exeter is #8 this year. Better unis obviously aren't out of the question, depending on the OPs GCSEs and AS-levels.

Yes, but I mean overall.
Reply 21
I dunno why people are having a go at her for not being content with earning 25k a year, it's hardly a lot. It's just enough that you end up not getting any help from the government and you end up in a worse position than those on the lower pay brackets. I wouldn't be able to live comfortably on 25k a year at all.
Reply 22
Oh,yes. It's very crude to do so but if we were to group unis together by general prestige you'll probably have

Oxford, Cambridge
(medium gap)
UCL, Durham, Warwick, Bristol, York, Edinburgh, St Andrews
(small gap)
Exeter, Bath, Manchester, Newcastle....

Then about another four or five groups after that. Let me make it clear that this is quite crude and I mean to no disrespect to those lower unis that can still offer good teaching, support and experiences. Also, employers don't care as much about rep as most think so how much many employers really care about such a rank of prestige is debatable. Either way you aren't going to be disadvantaged by going to Exeter. Not by any means.
Reply 23
rkd
Even given that, Exeter is #13 on the Times overall table.

...Therefore not top 10 ?
allieRAWR!
Basically, I'm considering applying to study history at Uni but am very unsure. So, wanted some advice.

I was seriously considering doing a science based subject at uni, but, work experience and a bit of soul searching is making me reconsider.

I never considered english based subjects mainly as they come naturally to me and I've never felt all that pushed by doing them. But, I did the Peterhouse Cambridge competition (http://www.pet.cam.ac.uk/admissions/essays.html), and even though I went through ridiculous sleep deprivation and insane amounts of Red Bull in doing it (started 4 days before deadline...) it felt awesome. I felt pushed and able to let my mind run riot and develop a writing style without restraint. I loved it.

I want this from Uni. I want lates nights and lots of words. But, I've got some serious concerns:

Taking a History degree deosn't provide a definite career path, I don't want to end up on 25K or struggling to find employment. Science seems more safe.

My GCSEs mean I won't get into a top 10 uni. I read this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=470586
and most of the comments came from cambridge students. I'm scared I won't get pushed at a Uni that isn't top 10 and if that's the case, I'll hate it probably.

Unlike subjects like medicine, I can't get W.E to get an idea if it's for me and I don't know if my experience of Peterhouse is good enough groudns to know I'll like it.

Any advice/knowledge anyone could provide would be great

Why so negative about the GCSE issue? Ignore the threads on the subject by loathsome little private school sixth formers who haven't actually heard of any university 'below' UCL. They know ******* all. I personally know people in Cambridge doing History with grades such as 1 A* and 3 As, for example. If you did 4 A-levels, aced them all, and then applied to uni afterwards, then (with the exception of intellectually regressive institutions you wouldn't want to go to anyway-ie Durham, the grave of the Oxbhridge reject) you will stand a very good chance, especially in places that interview.

During the extra year, really delve into literature on theory of History and interdisciplinary History, and a few select areas in which you're interested. You'll be at an advantage relative to the legions of St Paul's School sixth formers with straight A's but no knowledge of anything beyond Hitler and Lloyd George's Liberal Government. A good number of people I know have prospered in this way.
Reply 25
River85
Oh,yes. It's very crude to do so but if we were to group unis together by general prestige you'll probably have

Oxford, Cambridge
(medium gap)
(small gap)

Then about another four or five groups after that. Let me make it clear that this is quite crude and I mean to no disrespect to those lower unis that can still offer good teaching, support and experiences. Also, employers don't care as much about rep as most think so how much many employers really care about such a rank of prestige is debatable. Either way you aren't going to be disadvantaged by going to Exeter. Not by any means.

What happened to LSE/Imperial, consistently alternately 3rd and 4th in the rankings ?
rkd
Uh...doesn't that pay about 25k?

Well, with just an undergraduate History degree from a low ranked university, that is not too bad a pay.
River85

Oxford, Cambridge
(medium gap)
(small gap)

There is more than a 'small gap' between Warwick and UCL one one hand, and frigging Newcastle and Manchester on the other!
Reply 28
Elipsis
I dunno why people are having a go at her for not being content with earning 25k a year, it's hardly a lot. It's just enough that you end up not getting any help from the government and you end up in a worse position than those on the lower pay brackets. I wouldn't be able to live comfortably on 25k a year at all.

On an above average salary? You would need to learn to live more modestly then!

I don't think my parents have done too badly over the years on less than 40k combined. We've certainly had quite a comfortable upbringing.

Don't forget that most of us (not all for we can never predict) will have partners who have their own earnings also.
Reply 29
Elipsis

As a starting salary ? You don't really expect to live comfortably in your first year in the job do you ?
Reply 30
I have just finished my bachelor degree in history and am going to law school. My classmate/study partner these last few years is taking his and going for a master's and PhD in history. Another history student I know joined the military to be an officer and another joined the U.S. peace corps and is traveling to Africa soon. Another friend joined some large bank and runs statistics and analysis on bank placement. She made over 100k USD starting! Others I know plan on going for further education in archeology, political science, philosophy, and law too. One is going on to be an editor for a local newspaper.

Fact is, a history degree will not give you a concrete future. But, it will open up doors and, if you are crafty, you will find many job oppurtunities available.

*Most any government analyst position is always open to history majors because we are good critical thinkers. Every gov analyst spot I looked up had history as an accepted degree.*
Reply 31
Johan C
What happened to LSE/Imperial, consistently alternately 3rd and 4th in the rankings ?

Imperial's not exactly relevant to this discussion since it doesn't offer History.

I think we're derailing the thread a little by squabbling about uni prestige - let's at least wait to hear the OPs GCSEs and AS-levels.
Reply 32
Albiceleste
There is more than a 'small gap' between Warwick and UCL one one hand, and frigging Newcastle and Manchester on the other!

No there's not. Small-medium at best. What problem do you have with Manchester, Newcastle etc? They are well ranked, major, solid and respected universities. Both members of the Russell Group (the significance of this is open to debate).

I already admitted how crude it was (and am now wishing I hadn't done it). An employer is going to be more concerned with the cadidate and degree class than uni rep. Also, a lot of it is subject specific. Manchester is certainly Warwick's equal in law. Newcastle is UCL's equal in some egineering.
Reply 33
rkd
Imperial's not exactly relevant to this discussion since it doesn't offer History.

I think we're derailing the thread a little by squabbling about uni prestige - let's at least wait to hear the OPs GCSEs and AS-levels.

Yet his ranking seems like a general one, not History-specific.
Reply 34
River85
On an above average salary? You would need to learn to live more modestly then!

I don't think my parents have done too badly over the years on less than 40k combined. We've certainly had quite a comfortable upbringing.

Don't forget that most of us (not all for we can never predict) will have partners who have their own earnings also.

Regardless a combined salary of 50k gets taxed down to about 30k over night. A car each that will cost about 5-10k. Mortgage at least 10-20k for a small house - it's all gone. When you have children if one of you wants to stay at home and raise the kids 25k is jack as well. You also get absolutely no help from the government and when your children go to uni you have to pay for what other children get for free. Either way I won't be happy on less than 50k at least. I don't think it will be that hard to be honest, I got an e-mail about a job for after my degree with 45k+car+holiday+health care graduating pay.
Reply 35
River85
No there's not. Small-medium at best. What problem do you have with Manchester, Newcastle etc? They are well ranked, major, solid and respected universities. Both members of the Russell Group (the significance of this is open to debate).

I already admitted how crude it was (and am now wishing I hadn't done it). An employer is going to be more concerned with the cadidate and degree class than uni rep. Also, a lot of it is subject specific. Manchester is certainly Warwick's equal in law. Newcastle is UCL's equal in some egineering.

Sorry mate but I have to agree with the other guy, comparing UCL and Warwick with the other two is like comparing apples and oranges...
Reply 36
I'd love 25k a year! Dear me, people do not know what kind of economic struggles the whole world will be going into soon...
Reply 37
Elipsis
Regardless a combined salary of 50k gets taxed down to about 30k over night. A car each that will cost about 5-10k. Mortgage at least 10-20k for a small house - it's all gone. When you have children if one of you wants to stay at home and raise the kids 25k is jack as well. You also get absolutely no help from the government and when your children go to uni you have to pay for what other children get for free. Either way I won't be happy on less than 50k at least. I don't think it will be that hard to be honest, I got an e-mail about a job for after my degree with 45k+car+holiday+health care graduating pay.

Come off it, you're at Leeds.
Reply 38
Bmoody

*Most any government analyst position is always open to history majors because we are good critical thinkers. Every gov analyst spot I looked up had history as an accepted degree.*

I'm no expert but I think that the upper echelons of the civil service are dominated by history grads, as well as some philosophy, economics etc. grads. OP, you'll be held in high regard your your analytical and research skills.
Reply 39
River85
I'm no expert but I think that the upper echelons of the civil service are dominated by history grads, as well as some philosophy, economics etc. grads. OP, you'll be held in high regard your your analytical and research skills.

Very true this. met about 5 or 6 of my dad's friends who are history grads.

Latest

Trending

Trending