The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Just shut up Albiceleste
All I can really do here is pitch in with my own experience :smile:
I definitely disagree about GCSEs.
Mine were A*A*A*AAAABBCC.
I screwed up AS quite badly - ACCE, dropped Bio which I got the E in, kicked myself up the arse and got AAA at A2. I was predicted ABB though, so I didn't get in to my first choice Unis first time round. So had a gap year and applied again. This time, got into all the ones I applied for (Bristol, Southampton, Cardiff, Manchester).
Admittedly not Oxbridge, but they're not necessarily representative of the pinnacle of achievement. Bristol is fantastic (and without a doubt a top 10) for History, and I didn't do amazingly at GCSE or AS level. So *don't panic* :smile:
Also, I know someone who impressed Cambridge so much that he got an EE offer - at GCSE I think he got something along the lines of A*A*A*A*ABBCCD.
Excuse the cliché but follow your heart and apply where you want, for what you want. :smile: Don't panic too much about future careers - History is full of career opportunities, so is science. Don't let it worry you.
River85
Thornton's quite nice, leave it out. You're taking this even more off topic than I was!

I used to like smoking WEEEEEED behind the Londis there...****, HERE COME THE ****ING TEACHERS!
Reply 83
I think you'll be fine with a history degree OP. Obviously you won't be able to do something very specific, such as a quantum physicist or mathematician to use two bad examples.

But the research, organisational, analytical, arguing skills etc that you will learn should serve you very well in many jobs.
Reply 84
malleablegrace

Also, I know someone who impressed Cambridge so much that he got an EE offer - at GCSE I think he got something along the lines of A*A*A*A*ABBCCD.

Which is my point, you don't need exceptional GCSE grades to get into most unis, Cambridge aren't too bothered at all. If you have excellent UMS marks, predicted grades, exceptionally passionate and dedicated to study, reference...GCSEs not so much.

"Intellectually regressive" Durham are the only ones who are so strict (only because they don't interview and, in their own words, are certain of getting excellent cadidates. I think you've been taking the other thread too seriously OP.

Meanwhile I think that next year every history applicant should ignore Durham. That would be quite fun!
Reply 85
rkd
What are your GCSEs like? It's possible to get into some top 10 unis (Exeter, Royal Holloway, at least) without excellent GCSEs.

What 'definite career path' are you going to follow with a science degree?

For 'late nights and lots of words', can't you take a science degree that involves essays? I've seen some Oxford biologists/human scientists on here talking about weekly essays, though I'm not sure how far this applies to other unis. At some places (UCL, maybe St Andrews) you can do a minor in "Logic and Philosophy of Science", or something like that.

Also, in that topic, only a few of them are Cantabs. apotoftea's at Chichester, and some others are at QMUL or Sheffield - and they seem pretty stretched.

3As, 5Bs, 3Cs

The plan was Medicine. But given my grades, I was going to enter as a post graduate in a scien subject and get good A Levels to compensate for them. Pretty definite I think.

I'm attracted to History because I think it involves lots of what I think and using research as a foundation for my ideas and arguments. If I was to go for history, it would be wholeheartedly, so the diea of doing essays on the side the scien doesn't appeal to me, but I will look into it.

Quady
RKD would 25k be more or less than you earn?

History is a good degree as long as its from a proper Uni, otherwise science would be a better option.

Given my grades, that’s my fear

Johan C
Yeah 25k would really be horrible, I feel for you.

My dad earns that and my mum less. I’ve had everything I need and more from what they’ve been able to provide, but I’d like to live a more comfortable life and beable to provide more for my kids when I get older, because I’ve seen they’ve still struggled.

River85
But do you have anymore reasons why a history degree interests you? Also if you're not to sure then there are some unis you can apply to that have "free electives" where you may be able to study two modules a year outside your department. There are also combined honours/combined studies programmes that allow the student to take two - four subjects. Sometimes from just one faculty (like arts or social sciences) but usually from the whole uni.

I like history because…well I guess I kind of treat it like a science. It’s a continued record of human achievements and their downfalls and I think that’s fascinating. And, although there’s lots of recurring themes, the diversity of cultures and civilisations in history is immense. I thinking it’s amazing how the western culture you’re immersed in is only one out of thousands of completely different others that often operate in an entirely different way. And, the more you learn about it all, the more you find how it’s entirely relevant to the present. I think learning about it puts in perspective how much an individual can actual can do and our capabilites. It answers lots of question, or at least asks them, like are our attempts at perfecting our world futile. Well, that’s at least how I think of it, and I’m guessing/hoping it’ll be as fascinating or if not more at uni.....??
Reply 86
Elipsis
It's not a chip, people who go to Oxbridge who have bought their grades and been trained to do the interview have nothing to be proud of.

Are you saying they should refuse going to a good school to make the achievement "count" more?
Reply 87
KwungSun
Are you saying they should refuse going to a good school to make the achievement "count" more?

No, just that they shouldn't be smug about it over people who could have done just as well if not better given the chance.
Reply 88
allieRAWR!
3As, 5Bs, 3Cs

The plan was Medicine. But given my grades, I was going to enter as a post graduate in a scien subject and get good A Levels to compensate for them. Pretty definite I think.

I'm attracted to History because I think it involves lots of what I think and using research as a foundation for my ideas and arguments. If I was to go for history, it would be wholeheartedly, so the diea of doing essays on the side the scien doesn't appeal to me, but I will look into it.

Given my grades, that’s my fear

My dad earns that and my mum less. I’ve had everything I need and more from what they’ve been able to provide, but I’d like to live a more comfortable life and beable to provide more for my kids when I get older, because I’ve seen they’ve still struggled.

I like history because…well I guess I kind of treat it like a science. It’s a continued record of human achievements and their downfalls and I think that’s fascinating. And, although there’s lots of recurring themes, the diversity of cultures and civilisations in history is immense. I thinking it’s amazing how the western culture you’re immersed in is only one out of thousands of completely different others that often operate in an entirely different way. And, the more you learn about it all, the more you find how it’s entirely relevant to the present. I think learning about it puts in perspective how much an individual can actual can do and our capabilites. It answers lots of question, or at least asks them, like are our attempts at perfecting our world futile. Well, that’s at least how I think of it, and I’m guessing/hoping it’ll be as fascinating or if not more at uni.....??

Isn't graduate entry medicine still an amazingly competitive option? It'd also be an extra four years of education - years you could be earning if you went straight into a job.

Those aren't bad grades outside of the Oxbridge bubble, and you sound amazingly passionate about History. You could definitely get into a solid uni, maybe top ten if you excel at AS, enjoy the three years and then go into a respectable teaching/civil service/law/consultancy/whatever job that would make you more than 25k.

Didn't you say you'd done medicine work experience and found it unappealing? Personally, I'd not go for a job I disliked just for a more comfortable life (unless it was a case of ten times more salary or something ridiculous like that - which, between medicine and your other options, it isn't).
Reply 89
rkd
Isn't graduate entry medicine still an amazingly competitive option?

It's probably more competitive than the "normal route" as you are competiting against people from all different backgrounds (arts, social scienes and science degrees). For the GEP medicine programmes at some unis you don't necessarily need a science degree. Some would find arts, history in particular, appealing.

rkd
Those aren't bad grades outside of the Oxbridge bubble).

What Oxbridge bubble? It's Oxbridge that don't particularly concern themselves with GCSE grades.

OP now that I know your GCSE grades I'd say there was only one (arrogant :p: ) universitiy in the entire country that you won't get into - on the basis of grades alone. Even then for all we know Durham may suddenly decide to drop their GCSE requirements and interview candidates instead. You have a wealth of options available, have a look around.

Also, don't forget that there's more than just the top 10.
Reply 90
River85
It's probably more competitive than the "normal route" as you are competiting against people from all different backgrounds (arts, social scienes and science degrees). For the GEP medicine programmes at some unis you don't necessarily need a science degree. Some would find arts, history in particular, appealing.
What Oxbridge bubble? It's Oxbridge that don't particularly concern themselves with GCSE grades.
OP now that I know your GCSE grades I'd say there was only one (arrogant :p: ) universitiy in the entire country that you won't get into - on the basis of grades alone. Even then for all we know Durham may suddenly decide to drop their GCSE requirements and interview candidates instead. You have a wealth of options available, have a look around.

You might stand a chance of getting in to Oxbridge with 'poor' GCSEs but that doesn't mean they don't concern themselves with them. Of course it might just be that most of the students that get in there have 6-8 A*s at GCSE.
Reply 91
River85

I meant more the TSR Oxbridge bubble of "omgwtfbbq I got a B and am a failure" (not that I haven't been guilty of that attitude myself at times). LSE might be hard to get into too, especially their Economic History course (as opposed to International History), and she won't have the easiest of rides elsewhere - but it's far from impossible.
Reply 92
Elipsis
You might stand a chance of getting in to Oxbridge with 'poor' GCSEs but that doesn't mean they don't concern themselves with them. Of course it might just be that most of the students that get in there have 6-8 A*s at GCSE.

They don't really concern themselves with them, believe me. Not in history certainly (or most degrees). They have the option of interviewing and this, combined with a lack of respect for GCSEs (they don't discriminate fairly) they started to abandon their strict GCSE policy long ago (if they ever really had one).
allieRAWR!

All good reasons for studying history. Academic historians get bored of hearing about how the past relates to the future as it's what so many people put on their personal statements (awaits the bashing of "I didn't!" :rolleyes: :wink: ) .

I've just finished and have spent 3 years being immersed in a subject that I love, being made to think further and wide than ever before, wrote 11 000 words on my own subject with my own choice of research and question. I've completely changed the way I read and think about the world and everything in it.

Sounds like you'd really enjoy doing History :biggrin:

Only thing I will say and this semi-backs up what River85 said - there are fantastic history departments throughout the UK that are not based at the "top 10" universities. History is SUCH a personal subject that you have to go by the course and what areas that YOU want to study. It's pointless spending 3 years studying something you're not interested in (I avoided any courses with medieval history in for example) just because the uni is ranked 4 places higher in some rubbish, out of date league table. If you go by the subject league tables for History - don't! They're 7 years out of date because of the way the RAE works. The next one is this year so expect to see some of those unis that are lower ranked this year, rise next year due to the research they're producing etc.

Hope this helps a bit and feel free to ask anything :smile:
Reply 94
Bmoody

*Most any government analyst position is always open to history majors because we are good critical thinkers. Every gov analyst spot I looked up had history as an accepted degree.*

what jobs are government analysit jobs? i need exact careers plz to llok up on the internet. Sounds interesting!
itzme
what jobs are government analysit jobs? i need exact careers plz to llok up on the internet. Sounds interesting!

Type in political analyst and see what you get. Could also try political research, or public relations. Pretty vague terms, could mean anything from an Alistair Campbell style spin doctor to an academic researcher to an analyst for Sky News.Need to be more specific.
Elipsis
No, just that they shouldn't be smug about it over people who could have done just as well if not better given the chance.

Back to the drab, average yorkshire uni from whence you came, filthy demon! The power of Christ compels you!
Reply 97
itzme

Here is a job description for a management analyst position in the local county.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/clarkcounty/default.cfm?action=viewclassspec&ClassSpecID=65943&Agency=1282&ViewOnly=Yes

*Basically, you solve problems for the government. I met a management analyst in charge of coordinating disposing of nuclear waste between Clark County and the U.S. Federal Government. You could do that with a history degree. I know, scary huh? But hey, analyst positions are wonderful for history majors because all they require is research, intelligence, and good written communications. And seriously, what is the exact degree on coordinating hazardous nuclear waste disposal between government agencies? It surely isn't a career specific degree like physics or computer engineering. The field requires someone in the "gray" areas, and that is a history, communications, or political science degree.
Johan C
Come off it, you're at Leeds.

Albiceleste
But don't you find it a bit boring hardly having to do any work whatsoever at Leeds? I imagine its great at first, but after a while...

Only from LSE and Cambridge students. :rolleyes: Leeds was just ranked 11th for History in the UK by the Times, and after writing 22,000 words this year I'm insulted that you'd say we do no work. Piss off, like elipsis said - only Oxbridge do more.

I turned down Bristol for Leeds (which, for the OP, I got into without any A*s) and I don't regret it one bit.
Reply 99
Why is there so much competition in these forums over which institution provides a 22,000 word paper versus an 18,000? (I know you didn't begin this one Fake Plastic Love)

At my school, I did 42 credits of upper division history. At other higher ranked universities in the nation one has to do less than that. Plus I had mandatory and wonderful proseminar and historiography courses that developed my historical method greatly. My courses were difficult as well! I know, I've been to quite a few universities (Americans move often). The professors were involved, approachable, and excellent! But no one seems to know about UNLV yet. We've only been around since the 1960s. I guess since we haven't been around for 800 years, we aren't worth anything.

All of this bullying and bolstering is self-glorifying, basic, and childish. If ever I apply for a job and they say that my university wasn't "prestigious" enough, I'd tell them right where to take that opinion. Blacklisted or not, it is the principle of the matter.

Latest

Trending

Trending