The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
scraceus999
NOT true. Medicine, Law, Veterinary Science and Architecture are the hardest to get into by miiiiles.

Some of my architecture courses have 3000 applicants for 100 places. Thats 50 applicants per place. craaazy, and they all ask for AAA. so actually drama isnt the easiest to get into, but it certainly isnt the hardest!!

That's nothing....3000 for 30 places at RADA, Guildhall and LAMDA.

Plus drama courses don't make as many offers as other courses do...well not the top ones....for a 100 places a uni may offer about 300, but because drama is so expensive to teach and its really important groups are kept small thus they cant go handing out offers willy nilly, and do it on a 'holding' basis, where they hold places until people firm them or decline them first... I didn't know until July last year if I'd got onto courses I'd interviewed for in the October. It's a different system.
Reply 41
xxstace123xx
I love it at GCSE, of course its a valid degree. Surely it is not too different than going to stage school.

Lots of people just think you act, but there is soooooo much more than that.

It's very different actually...dependent on what subject. Drama/Theatre Studies are Academic. Performing arts/performance studies/acting courses tend to be practical but still with an academic underpinning.

Only musical theatre degrees at places like mountview and arts ed. are like stage schools...the acting degrees at straight drama schools have a suprising amount of theory too. (ex went to RADA)
Reply 42
scraceus999
how do you know if you get negged? I dunno how it works :s

Scroll down to the bottom of your home page, you'll see a blue bar with your status on it and your rep on the right, click on the arrow next to it and it'll expand and show you your rep.
Reilly
Scroll down to the bottom of your home page, you'll see a blue bar with your status on it and your rep on the right, click on the arrow next to it and it'll expand and show you your rep.

so at the top where it says "hi[insert username]"; is that your home page? cos i see now blue bar at the bottom, and no blue bar with an arrow...?!!! :biggrin:
Reply 44
I'm 23, currently about to start my final year at RADA. I did my degree at Cambridge in Philosophy and started at RADA two years ago. I've had incredible experiences at both places and don't regret my decisions for a minute, even though I am very conscious that I'll be 24 years old before I even start trying to gain employment in a very competitive industry.

I looked into doing drama degrees at age 17/18 and found the content in them to be singularly unimpressive. I didn't feel that drama degrees covered different periods in theatre nearly as thoroughly as I would have expected and when compared to other subjects I looked into, drama seemed like an unchallenging option.

What I don't understand is why anyone doing a drama degree would not be better off doing either an english literature degree or an acting course at places like RADA, LAMDA, Bristol Old Vic, Drama Centre etc. In my experience, people on drama degrees fall into two types, those who want to work in theatre/TV/film etc as actors/directors/backstage managers and those who want to work in a different industry like journalism, media, publishing etc
The latter, in my opinion, are far better off doing an english literature degree where they will be studying theatre but also studying novels, poetry, the classics and other forms of literature that have had a huge impact on theatre. This would give them a far broader spectrum of knowledge and make them more employable. The former, I think, would be better off at drama school, where they can get hands on experience in an environment where everything they learn is geared directly towards their interests and future careers.
Drama degrees seem to be to be taking the worst of both worlds and I believe that a lot of people who couldn't get into drama school end up doing drama degrees.

The second issue I have is with the amount, or lack of, of work involved in the degree. The drama students I know spent huge amounts of time hanging about, gossiping, partying, getting involved in mediocre student productions and spending very little time doing actual productive work towards their degree. A lecture in another subject would be an intensive hour of note-taking, concentrating and trying to assimulate facts in your brain; an hour of drama would start of with a quarter of an hour of gossip, followed by a casual sit-down-on-the-floor discussion which would always be dominated by the most pretentious of the group, followed by some practical 'work'. I have friends doing drama degrees at the two 'top' places in the country, Bristol and Warwick and even they admitted that their degree was a bit of a joke. I was shocked to hear that one friend only wrote eight essays all year, was given frequent extensions, and had an assignment, supposedly the work for the week, entitled 'observe a scene and write a commentary about it'. I have a recollection of being given this same assignment in a Year 7 drama class. In contrast, I wrote 48 essays a year, (2 a week, for 3 8 week terms), frequently worked well into the night and learnt a huge amount.

As you can see from the education I have chosen, I am deeply interested in drama and theatre and will be pursuing a career in acting when I graduate. I am not trying to criticise anyone who has done a drama degree; I am merely expressing my opinions and experiences and I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has contrasting opinions.

xx hilary (but not duff!)
Reply 45
I know already I'll have hardly any essays next year, mainly cos my course is 70% practical.

There's nothing wrong with doing drama at a uni if you didn't get into a drama school. I didn't get in, got re-called for MMU and that was it. I'm only doing the course I'm doing because of the options available at the end of it. One idea is do try out for the schools again after I'm done with uni. Then go after a performing career. But I have so many different ideas of what to do after, I haven't got a clue. i used to be so set on just acting and theatre, but doing to course I'll be doing, its opened up loads more doors for me.
DoMakeSayThink
I treat it as a valid subject. However, getting a job with a drama degree is bloody hard. My sister did Drama at Birmingham, and in the 4 years after her degree the majority of her work has been in a retail environment, despite applying to jobs more related to her field.

Oh also, saying you couldn't find the anonymous check-box probably isn't going to massively improve the reputation of prospective drama students :P

lol.

true, ti is very hard to get Theatre work, however, not a problem elsewhere. I just graduated, and got a job at the London Chamber of Commerce in PR. My manager said that the skills learnt in my degree were the reason i got picked (drama covers english lit, business, pyschology, and of course, drama lol) it also promotes self confidence.

As far as i see it, its a brilliant degree to do, if you want to either go into the theatre, or just get a none degree specific job, i am the proof!

Lot of snobbery on this board, some people think if you are not doing medicine, law etc at teh top twenty, then you wont get employed.

Sadly for them, they will find out its about more than grades and prestige (unless you want to be an investment banker, in which case its ALL about grades and pretige lol)

I'll defend drama students with you!
HilaryDuff
I'm 23, currently about to start my final year at RADA. I did my degree at Cambridge in Philosophy and started at RADA two years ago. I've had incredible experiences at both places and don't regret my decisions for a minute, even though I am very conscious that I'll be 24 years old before I even start trying to gain employment in a very competitive industry.

Well done you

HilaryDuff
I looked into doing drama degrees at age 17/18 and found the content in them to be singularly unimpressive. I didn't feel that drama degrees covered different periods in theatre nearly as thoroughly as I would have expected and when compared to other subjects I looked into, drama seemed like an unchallenging option.

SOME drama degrees do, i fully agree, althogh it depends on what you want to acheive as the end result

HilaryDuff
Drama degrees seem to be to be taking the worst of both worlds and I believe that a lot of people who couldn't get into drama school end up doing drama degrees.

Not neccessarily, i got into Central, but it was a poor course in comparison to Goldsmiths

HilaryDuff
The second issue I have is with the amount, or lack of, of work involved in the degree. The drama students I know spent huge amounts of time hanging about, gossiping, partying, getting involved in mediocre student productions and spending very little time doing actual productive work towards their degree. A lecture in another subject would be an intensive hour of note-taking, concentrating and trying to assimulate facts in your brain; an hour of drama would start of with a quarter of an hour of gossip, followed by a casual sit-down-on-the-floor discussion which would always be dominated by the most pretentious of the group, followed by some practical 'work'. I have friends doing drama degrees at the two 'top' places in the country, Bristol and Warwick and even they admitted that their degree was a bit of a joke. I was shocked to hear that one friend only wrote eight essays all year, was given frequent extensions, and had an assignment, supposedly the work for the week, entitled 'observe a scene and write a commentary about it'. I have a recollection of being given this same assignment in a Year 7 drama class. In contrast, I wrote 48 essays a year, (2 a week, for 3 8 week terms), frequently worked well into the night and learnt a huge amount.

Thats your experience, granted, but i worked my socks off, had regular pratical and essay based coursework, as well as numerous exams. I definialty partied, but thats because i have a life.

I also joined societies (althouhgh why that matters im not sure) And as for mediocre productions, we went to Edinburgh Fringe, and put on a short run in The Theatre Royal Haymarket (and made a profit).

HilaryDuff
As you can see from the education I have chosen, I am deeply interested in drama and theatre and will be pursuing a career in acting when I graduate. I am not trying to criticise anyone who has done a drama degree; I am merely expressing my opinions and experiences and I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has contrasting opinions.

in which case, you will encounter people who have done a drama degree, so i would advise to keep your mind a little more open, or you will run into problems. My friends have jobs at teh National, The Royal Opera House and some are pursuing an acting career, RADA is an excellent institution, but like, Oxbridge, its not the be all and end all. It is down to the person

Hoep i havent offended you, just we differ in opinion :biggrin:

xx hilary (but not duff!)
I tell people the proper name of my course Theatre and Performance Studies, never say I do drama. Creates an image of people acting and playing silly games. I study theatre and performance as an academic and make that as explicit as possible. I don't want people to think my degree is about acting or anything like that. Some drama/theatre degrees are but mine isn't and that is why I picked it as I have no real interest in actually performing, being in plays and all of that. It makes me happy that people at uni are realising that my course is just as academic as anyone elses...history, socially, philosophy, politics etc etc they are all in my course. The last essay I wrote was about the suffragettes for example and how they used theatre and performance tools to promote the cause.

The one thing I agree with the critics on is that some drama degrees are a bit of a joke. My department annoys me sometimes. I don't agree with how lax they can be in terms of extensions etc, although it is reflected in peoples marks as those who didn't put the effort in didn't get the 2:1s they hoped for. As with most arts subjects it can be a work light subject if you don't bother to read the books recommended or put the effort in.

Actually what really annoys me is the 'we are special' attitude that lots of drama students adopt for whatever reason. It makes me want to disassociate myself from drama students. Fair enough defending your course is sometimes needed but it annoys me that so many seem to take it so far and think themselves better than others and the degree better than others.
Because most of us on here are academic freaks who need to propagate the myth that 'traditional' academic subjects reign supreme so as not to deflate our oversized egos. :p:
Reply 50
happydinosaur
The last essay I wrote was about the suffragettes for example and how they used theatre and performance tools to promote the cause.

I did Performance Studies at A Level, our exam essay was pretty much just politics.
Reply 51
I imagine the majority of people don't realise how much work goes into a single performance, let alone three years of performance!

I'm more backstage doing Stage Management, Lighting Design and Set construction, when I told a friend how much work I do on each production, they suddenly decided that I wasn't a lazy sod after all!

The amount of time spent in rehearsal and learning lines for an actor is huge, far more than writing an essay or five. I've had the same problem with people calling my choice 'easy'; that is until I tell them that I'm working solidly from three months before opening night just to get the curtain to open at 7:30pm!

MJ
Reply 52
MumboJumbo
I imagine the majority of people don't realise how much work goes into a single performance, let alone three years of performance!

I'm more backstage doing Stage Management, Lighting Design and Set construction, when I told a friend how much work I do on each production, they suddenly decided that I wasn't a lazy sod after all!

The amount of time spent in rehearsal and learning lines for an actor is huge, far more than writing an essay or five. I've had the same problem with people calling my choice 'easy'; that is until I tell them that I'm working solidly from three months before opening night just to get the curtain to open at 7:30pm!

MJ

I'm an actor so I do realise how much work goes into each production. I know from first hand experience how being in a production can absolutely take over your life. I've had experiences of being up all night the day before opening night to get a scene right or get a dance choreographed or spending five hours practising getting an entire set off the stage in exactly ten seconds.

I've worked in rep over the summer as well and I can categorically say that this was far and away the hardest experience of my life, including studying for my finals at Cambridge. We would be rehearsing one play from 9 to 5 every day, getting into costume and warming up for a different play at 6 and on stage from 7 to 10. We would have to put on a new play every week, for three months.

What I'm trying to say is that I do not underestimate the amount of work involved in theatre and putting on productions. However, this is NOT academic work and this is not the kind of work you would be doing in a drama degree. If it is the kind of work you study in a drama degree then I do not believe it should be an accredited degree course because this is practical work. However all the drama degrees I researched and know of (admittedly these are all at Russell Group universities so not from a very broad sample) are studying wishy-washy parts of history of theatre at a fairly superficial level. The fact that the drama students I know have so much time to get involved in student productions outside of their degree suggests to me that their degree is not challenging enough.
Reply 53
I've been both backstage and on stage. backstage I was part of stage management, and its suprising how much you need to know and do.

I hate learning lines. They're evil.
Reply 54
HilaryDuff

What I'm trying to say is that I do not underestimate the amount of work involved in theatre and putting on productions. However, this is NOT academic work and this is not the kind of work you would be doing in a drama degree. If it is the kind of work you study in a drama degree then I do not believe it should be an accredited degree course because this is practical work. However all the drama degrees I researched and know of (admittedly these are all at Russell Group universities so not from a very broad sample) are studying wishy-washy parts of history of theatre at a fairly superficial level. The fact that the drama students I know have so much time to get involved in student productions outside of their degree suggests to me that their degree is not challenging enough.

It depends what kind of 'drama degree' it is. Theatre Studies or Drama Studies is the study of the history of theatre, along with the work of various theorists and techniques. It isn't acting.

If it is more of an Acting drama degree then it is much more about putting the techniques into practice, actually working with the theories, rather than just studying them, full stop.

Obviously there are some courses which are a little wishy washy like you say, but from what I've seen there are a lot which are far more like I said above; learning the theories, then putting them into practice.

I think it's very much a 'you get out what you put in' kind of situation. Some people will put in the minimum effort for their degree and perform in the more unstructured environment of societies, whilst others will spend a lot more time working on degree shows which are not necessarily compulsory, but are much more structured and there for a specific 'reason' as such.

I'm not saying that drama is the hardest degree, I'm just saying that it isn't as easy as many people portray...so I think we're both stating the same point :P

MJ
Reply 55
HilaryDuff
I'm an actor so I do realise how much work goes into each production. I know from first hand experience how being in a production can absolutely take over your life. I've had experiences of being up all night the day before opening night to get a scene right or get a dance choreographed or spending five hours practising getting an entire set off the stage in exactly ten seconds.

I've worked in rep over the summer as well and I can categorically say that this was far and away the hardest experience of my life, including studying for my finals at Cambridge. We would be rehearsing one play from 9 to 5 every day, getting into costume and warming up for a different play at 6 and on stage from 7 to 10. We would have to put on a new play every week, for three months.

Firstly grats for getting into RADA.

I'm off to Bristol next year, Russell group, as you probably know. It's 5* for research and you don't get that by playing games all day, the course info on the site or prospectus (which I assume is where you 'researched' the course) has very little info to what the course actually entails. It is a research orientated course, directly linked to the research interests of the lecturers who teach there, therefore the topics studied and covered vary from year to year so your statement that the areas covered are wishy washy is quite frankly nonsense.

As you say you are an Actor...and one of the first things they tell you is that they reject an application that remotely resembles that of someone who wishes to be an actor (same for manchester and posibly warwick...not sure though), so thus you could probably not empathise with the motivations of the vast majority of people on the course. From what I can tell, people on my degree course have done pretty darn well for themselves in terms of evolving the entertainment industry as well as the academic. The whole point of the degree is to explore drama, to attempt to understand, analyse and re-interpret a medium which has been at the centre of human culture for millennia. It is not simply about sitting in a lecture room being barked at about brecht, or going over and over stavivlaski methods in an acting class. It's abut challenging your assumptions, playing with mediums and expanding on the academic aspects of the subject as well as obviously providing you with a foundation knowledge, all which (correct me if I'm wrong here) is the point of an academic arts degree?

You probably did the right thing, most directors I know, including one former RSC director, say that actors doing drama degrees prior to drama school suffer from an obnoxious attitude and usually have to unlearn everything they think they know about acting in order to develop themselves on a drama degree. So well done, you made the right choice for you.

But for some people, people for whom the experience of drama is not simply confined to the act of performance, who are curious and inquisitive about the subject area as a whole, who are hungry to learn more about it then surely an academic degree, provided by the likes of Bristol is just as valid as doing philosophy, history of art or english lit degree?

Put it this way......it's like the difference between reading The Republic and understanding the Words and reading the republic and desperately wanting to understand why it was written, what precisely it means, is it right, evaluate your opinion on it, form your own conclusion and use if positively or negatively to create your own standpoints.

:smile:
Reply 56
Ooooh and I just had another neg rep. Apparently I'm stupid.
Reply 57
Reilly
Firstly grats for getting into RADA.

I'm off to Bristol next year, Russell group, as you probably know. It's 5* for research and you don't get that by playing games all day, the course info on the site or prospectus (which I assume is where you 'researched' the course) has very little info to what the course actually entails. It is a research orientated course, directly linked to the research interests of the lecturers who teach there, therefore the topics studied and covered vary from year to year so your statement that the areas covered are wishy washy is quite frankly nonsense.

As you say you are an Actor...and one of the first things they tell you is that they reject an application that remotely resembles that of someone who wishes to be an actor (same for manchester and posibly warwick...not sure though), so thus you could probably not empathise with the motivations of the vast majority of people on the course. From what I can tell, people on my degree course have done pretty darn well for themselves in terms of evolving the entertainment industry as well as the academic. The whole point of the degree is to explore drama, to attempt to understand, analyse and re-interpret a medium which has been at the centre of human culture for millennia. It is not simply about sitting in a lecture room being barked at about brecht, or going over and over stavivlaski methods in an acting class. It's abut challenging your assumptions, playing with mediums and expanding on the academic aspects of the subject as well as obviously providing you with a foundation knowledge, all which (correct me if I'm wrong here) is the point of an academic arts degree?

You probably did the right thing, most directors I know, including one former RSC director, say that actors doing drama degrees prior to drama school suffer from an obnoxious attitude and usually have to unlearn everything they think they know about acting in order to develop themselves on a drama degree. So well done, you made the right choice for you.

But for some people, people for whom the experience of drama is not simply confined to the act of performance, who are curious and inquisitive about the subject area as a whole, who are hungry to learn more about it then surely an academic degree, provided by the likes of Bristol is just as valid as doing philosophy, history of art or english lit degree?

Put it this way......it's like the difference between reading The Republic and understanding the Words and reading the republic and desperately wanting to understand why it was written, what precisely it means, is it right, evaluate your opinion on it, form your own conclusion and use if positively or negatively to create your own standpoints.

:smile:

I understand what you are saying but just out of interest, what do you think you can get from a Drama degree that you cannot get from an English Literature degree where you would study theatre, novels, poetry, different cultures and other mediums of literature which have had a significant effect on theatre?

Secondly you are not at university yet so perhaps this is a difficult question for you to answer: in my experience, even if the content of a drama degree is indeed worthy of academic study, I have qualms about the rigour of such courses. For example, the students I know at Warwick or Bristol get frequent extensions compared to other subjects' strictly enforced deadlines, have fewer essays, and do less theoretical work. I am hardly at expert on Drama at Bristol but surely a decent proportion of the course is practical, and not academic?

Thirdly are you saying that there are NO students on your course who wish to become actors? I am surprised by this because this has not been my experience but I am 23 now (aaargh!) so perhaps my experience is a little outdated. In that case I am pleasantly surprised. As you can probably tell, my opinion is that students who wish to become actors should either go straight to drama school or study another subject at university or hold down a job before drama school, primarily in order to broaden their horizons a little.

Finally when you say 1000 people apply for 30 places I think that you can admit that the average standard of applicants is quite low. It is exactly the same for places like RADA. There are about 100 applicants for every place at RADA (more sometimes for girls) and it is very difficult to get in and I am very proud that I did and likewise, you should be extremely proud of getting into Bristol. However it is not quite as impossible as it sounds, primarily because the fact that drama and acting is generally perceived to be 'glamourous' means that you get a fair few idiots applying who generally have no clue. Arrogant as it sounds, my tutor at RADA told us that for serious applicants, applicants who have actually done their research, bothered to get as much experience as possible in theatre, learnt and practiced an extensive selection of monologues and are genuinely passionate about their subject - the competition really begins in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of auditions, when they have weeded out all the people who woke up one day and said 'I wanna be a movie star! I know - I'll go to drama school and become the next Nicole Kidman!' This is not to undermine either your achievement or my own but it annoys me when drama students try to prove the worth of their degree by citing how many applicants they beat. We all worked hard to get where we are; I don't think it matters how many applicants you beat because it's the quality of the competition that matters.

Wow, I'm becoming long winded in my old age! Anyway thank you for sharing your experiences so clearly and calmly! As you said, I think I have made the right decisions for myself, and you seem to have the right decision for yourself, so congrats!
Reply 58
Loads of people who apply don't even get auditions though. I've even heard of some schools not even looking at applications and just putting them aside.

Alot of places, especially Musical Theatre courses, take people on looks as well. I was talking to a girl at one audition (a red head) who'd turned up to find about 10 other red heads there with her. Places like Central and Bird plan there's production early and alot of the time cast them in the auditions for the school. I know of one girl, who was bloody fantastic who didn't even get recalled for Mountview because she was taller than a lad they'd offered a place to the week before.

I have no idea anymore if I'm doing the right thing by going to do the degree I'm doing. I just see it as a opportunity to extend on just acting and be able to have a bigger choice at the end of it. We shall see though.
Reply 59
HilaryDuff
I understand what you are saying but just out of interest, what do you think you can get from a Drama degree that you cannot get from an English Literature degree where you would study theatre, novels, poetry, different cultures and other mediums of literature which have had a significant effect on theatre?

The simple answer to that is theoretical side of film. Drama isn't just theatre and the theoretical side of it is not simply contained to theatrical tradition. The study of film encompasses an even broader approach in terms of drawing upon interdisciplinery skills and academia, I for instance, recently read one of the most fascinating academic essays I have ever read in Oxfords book of Film Studies, about pornography.

Apart from that though, English literature encourages you to look into the technical aspects primarily of why a play was written and how it is effective, what an English lit degree doesn't ask you to do is to see a play from the eyes of the every man, from the eyes of people who may or may not have an academic grasp of the text. It also obviously doesn't have the practical element which is essential to a drama degree, and just because a drama degree has practical elements, doesn't mean it isn't valid. What do you call thought exercises in philosophy? Or lab experiments in the sciences? Or mock trials in law? They are all combining the academic knowledge in order to explore the subject area, with an academic underpinning. It asks you to understand elements of drama far beyond the written word, I mean you could hardly study Conspirators of pleasure or a DV8 performance in English Literature could you?

I admit, as you said, there are going to be 'duff' applicants for the degree, similar to RADA (though likely not as bad from some of the drama school auditionee's I've seen there by hanging around with my ex). But I am a member of NYT, (as you probs are too?) and I have met, worked with and spoken to people who have never made it so far as the interview stage, who are intelligent, bright people interested in the subject.

Yes, there are one or two people I've met so far who are considering being actors, but they want to be actors in experimental theatre as far as I can tell, devisers and fringe theatre collaborators, which a drama degree, in my opinion, equips you for quite well. The vast majority of people I've met though want to be producers/directors/journalists/academics and even though an english degree may be better for a journalist in general for example, it doesn't leave you an 'expert' in the area of journalism you want to go into. For instance if I wanted to be a film critic and I had spent the last three years studying scripts in english literature, do you honestly believe I would be better off than if I had spent the past two years of my drama degree specialising in film, watching a film screening at least once a week (a la bristol and their own cinema, which it is compulsory, certainly in first year, to attend) and debating and discussing films with 40 + people who can hold their own ground debate wise, not to mention the academics?

The obvious advantages for me personally to do a drama degree, were that I wanted to explore the subject area. I'm not content to pick one vocation and stick to it in the field at this point in my life (I made it to the final round of a few directing degrees last year and realised, quite late that if accepted I would probably be making the biggest mistake of my life) and with bristols facilities for exploring drama, such as the largest theatre collection in europe (with original shakespearean playbooks, and practioners personal notebooks from the 18th/19th centuries), a personal editing suite, access to hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of film/theatre/academic equipment I thought that would be the best place for me to participate in conducting academic research through practice and thus figure out who I am in relation to Drama.

I also love drama for drama, for theatre, for television, for film and every single aspect of the creation, representation and reception of dramatic content. How is that any different from someone who loves art wanting to study the history of art?

Like you said, I've made the right choice for me, I could have done any degree, I have 6.5 A levels (was going to be 8 but I dropped 1.5 in order to have more time to make films) , a natural aptitude for pretty much all subjects apart from mechanical mathematics, I was classed as 'gifted' as a child and really am genuinely interested in everything. I am most interested in Drama though, which is weird, possibly a little silly in terms of employability (though i will have a degree from Bristol at the end of it to get me on to grad level jobs if all else fails) but something which I want to explore, academically, and I see no other real higher education option to do that, apart from a drama degree.

Latest