The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Arrogant Git
The courses are pretty much the same. Oxford is probably easier to do well in, but a Cambridge degree (academically) probably carries more weight. If you want to get on to Part III (and if you're thinking about studying further, you should be) then you'll find it much much easier if you go to Cambridge. I've been told I can do part III with any 2.I. You'd need a high first from anywhere else (pretty much) to even be looked at.

The usual requirement is a high 2.1 in Part IB and II or a first in Part II. At least, that's what I'm told by the people I know who did the course.
Reply 21
DFranklin
It's worth pointing out that many have crashed and burned horribly doing Part III (I did, and someone else mentioned knowing someone who only got a pass after coming in the top 5 the year before). It requires a quite different approach and skillset from the UG Tripos.

Then again, the opposite can happen as well! A friend of mine got a 2.1 throughout his undergrad and came out with a distinction in III this year.:smile:
yusufu
Then again, the opposite can happen as well! A friend of mine got a 2.1 throughout his undergrad and came out with a distinction in III this year.:smile:
Oh sure - I wasn't meaning to imply it was lose-lose...
yusufu
The usual requirement is a high 2.1 in Part IB and II or a first in Part II. At least, that's what I'm told by the people I know who did the course.

It varies from college to college. Some ask for a first, some for high (top 30% of the year) 2.I and some just for a 2.I. I know someone who got 2.II in first and second year who's doing part III next year.
Reply 24
I'm doing a maths degree at Cambridge, and No-one wants to give me a summer job. Even tried asking a couple of weeks ago at the Royal Birkdale for the Open, and the upcoming Flower and Air shows for quite blatantly temporary jobs, but still no luck!

I think in the main though, for summer jobs employers are going to want to take more permanent staff, not people who are going to leave them to go back to uni in 2 months.
Reply 25
And here I am with my father telling me that everybody will be happy to give me internships even though I haven't even started university yet... sometimes I really think he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Reply 26
If you apply IN TIME to the RIGHT jobs you will be very likely to get a good internship and by that I mean relative to all other degrees as well, I am pretty confident about that.
Reply 27
I'm with Thicky on this one. If you're a penultimate year student at Oxford or Cambridge it's easy to get a summer internship, not necessarily in IB.
I really doubt, that apart from being on some very special scheme, there will be a noticable difference once you've finished university.

Latest

Trending

Trending