The Student Room Group

Failed IB

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Not only that, but what about this comment?

Aegilia
I thought you said you had an offer already. Anyway, expect a rejection come interview time. Your english is a little primitive.

What do you mean by 'expect a rejection come interview time'
I guess you meant to say that I won't be able to get in due to my naive English. But as I mentioned before, they take such things into consideration and I have a good TOEFL score to offset my shortcoming. If not, explain it to me, what makes me an incapable candidate?

I think my prediction (44 points in IB with 777 in HL) was competitive enough, despite the fact my HL subjects were 'softer' subject but I had mitigating circumstances.
Reply 61
wow, too many oxbridge students around these ends....i thought they lowered their required points, cuz they started to understand the IB properly....students who needed 42 now only need 38....i mean, a level 6 is considered a* already!!?!?
Reply 62
Oh really? Did they lower entry requirements for IB students?
That's a good news for me :smile: Tks

Kash2
wow, too many oxbridge students around these ends....i thought they lowered their required points, cuz they started to understand the IB properly....students who needed 42 now only need 38....i mean, a level 6 is considered a* already!!?!?
Reply 63
shinhans31
Oh really? Did they lower entry requirements for IB students?
That's a good news for me :smile: Tks

mate, i really got no reply...hey, what's the harm in trying!!...keep a lil room for optimism =D:yep:
Reply 64
shinhans31
due to my naive English

naive doesn't sound right when used that way
IB-Seed

Naive is used by people who are talentless at something.
Failed artists lacking talent will claim their art to be art naïf when the truth of the matter is, they simply suck. Likewise, people who do not speak English properly can claim their language use to be naive, when in reality they simply have not understood syntax properly.
Reply 66
this has gone a bit off topic, no? :rolleyes:
Reply 67
so what?
IB-Seed
Reply 68
shinhans31
so what?

guy's what the ****?...could u calm down, so what if your english sux man...to hell with the world....give and take, that's how everyone learns, i think that's where i differ from other ppl, i work at the front in a famous fast food chain, whose name im not supposed to give out....and i tell u, ppl walk thru that door who say yes to every god damn thing i ask, so i gotta break it down and explain and meanwhile im gettin a friggin queue!!, so calm down lads, and mate, personal advice, he will take the piss, so ignore him, the more u bother, the more they take the piss....so yea, can we be back to more important dillemas?...like, I frggin B!?!?
Reply 69
johannski
this has gone a bit off topic, no? :rolleyes:

lol, its about time someone stepped in and said that!!!
This thread has undergone the transformation from friendly to vile in 4 pages - not really a record, but still impressive
Reply 71
shinhans31
so what?
commenting doesn't require a reason.
Reply 72
That was very insightful.

EDIT: this was directed at a post above mine by shinhans31. apparently the fellow is fond of deleting his posts.
Reply 73
Yes it does, if you hadn't thought any on my comments, then you would have probably not quoted my comments.
or maybe simply you were just being reckless or mindless, I suppose.
and mind you, the phrase naive English is correct English, albeit it is not frequently used.
If your english is so perfect that you can't still stand this, do search on google 'naive English speaker'. or ask your English tutor
Criticism is helpful only if it is constructive.
IB-Seed
commenting doesn't require a reason.
Reply 74
it's technically correct, but naive isn't used that way. post #66 by joseph clearly states the way I feel about it xD

the same applies for "albeit". the only people who use it on online forums are those who lack English practice and want to come across as impressive or something.

why do you make random words bold? they don't make your posts more impressive or anything.

Criticism is helpful only if it is constructive.
Any criticism can be constructive. Just look at it in the right way.
Reply 75
then can you say these English experts are using technically wrong English? Even linguist? huh?
Search for Naive English in these links below. Can you still say it is wrong?

http://www.linguism.co.uk/language/foreign-sounds-in-english
http://www.jstor.org/pss/510899

IB-Seed
the same applies for "albeit"

We say apply to in this case not apply for.

You are not native and your English seems imperfect.
So your criticism is not constructive, meaning simply it is not helpful, in that it was rather deemed to be an offensive comment.
Reply 76
IB-Seed

the same applies for "albeit". the only people who use it on online forums are those who lack English practice and want to come across as impressive or something.

why do you make random words bold? they don't make your posts more impressive or anything.

Oh I'm so sorry my English ****s so I only got 119 in iBT, fair enough. So could you enlighten me rather than just criticizing me?
What is the proper usage of 'albeit' then?
By the way, I think you should learn the proper usage of apply though.

I bold those for my own sake.
It looks impressive to me :smile: and most importantly, I don't care whether it looks impressive to you.
Reply 77
...and we're back!
Reply 78
Stop debating whether shins English is good or not. It's not relevant and only hurt Shins feelings. Shin, I think your English is good enough.

Kash2: You screwed up your diploma because you didn't bother to do anything to check what the real requirments was, and lived in the illusion that your school did what they were supposed to. You won't get into a good university when you fail your diploma and if you are bright, then you should do one year at another school to improve your grades. There are lots of past papers out there that you can study and easialy get a 30+ diploma.

The school won't see that you are a bright student when your grades say the complete opposite. If you don't start to fix your doorstep soon you may end up with a shi'ty job, you become poor and get a shi'ty life. Is that what you want?
Reply 79
Criticisms can be constructive. Just not when they're made by people who don't care about other people's feelings at the slightest.

119 on iBT and 2120 on SATs is fantastic. Top universities don't only look at perfect SATs but other things as well.

To the thread starter- I know how you feel. Lots of people in my class failed too. I got 11 less than I was predicted for.

Quick Reply