The Student Room Group

Failed IB

hi,
i got 21 points, and i was actually predicted 33
me and my best friend were predicted 33 and believe me or not, it was the highest in our class.
due to the fact that our school is a bit new to the IB, about 5 years, standards arent that well.

i got:
maths St: 3
eng HL: 4
business HL: 3
design and tech SL: 3
Film studies HL: 4
French ab initio: 4

EE: E
tok: D

i really can't believe my results, i had an official level 6 in orals for english. and i got a level 4!, i was predicted a 6 for it. plus, students that got levels 3 on their orals and were predicted 3s, have actually got same level as me.!!

there's a student who got 13 points and got a D for her EE..and i got an E?

okay, things don't stop there...the whole class failed to get a single diploma. the only one's who've achieved, or are near got 24 and 25...and they weren't awarded the diploma due to failing their chemistry which was level 2!!

our teachers are going to appeal for the whole class. and out of reading old threads i learnt that people have actually got 3-4 points increased at the end!..i was really angry when i saw someone getting a 42 and still crying about remarking!

my dad's so angry that he's calling my mum a biaatch (can't say the real world)...he's calling her that cuz she supports me..and he's calling me a ba********....i haven't really failed i guess...just failed to get the diploma

i needed 26 points to get my conditional offer...i called the uni and they said they'll get back to me....i said i was gutted cuz i was 3 points off diploma and 5 points off the offer....if i got the diploma, it woulda meant the world to me!!...and i actually thought, i was going to!!...i know i did well enough to get the diploma...its a horrible feeling.

and i can't do retakes...cuz i dun think i would be able to at all...please don't advise me to do that...cuz it won't be possible at all, and school won't be able to provide!

i can't do foundation year cuz i gotta pay 8000 pounds a year...and my parents can't afford that...i desperately need to get into that uni....im really scared...i just need a bit assurance that i might get a level-up or get into the uni....i'd be greatful...worst time of my life :frown:

i've thought about poison, but too wuss to take

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
looks like you got downgraded in your IA moderation, coz those who were already lower don't seem to have been affected. sucks when you lose marks and it isn't even your fault, eh? my teachers sucked too, i was predicted @ 41, and ended up in the lower 30's, and 93% of my class failed to get the diploma.

meh.. atleast I got my A's in both ToK and EE..

hope things work out for you.
lol don't worry too much, i'm in exactly the same position as you are! pm me if you wanna talk about it all :smile:
Reply 3
Kash2

i've thought about poison, but too wuss to take

it's the other way around btw. you're a wuss if you take it.
Reply 4
IB-Seed
it's the other way around btw. you're a wuss if you take it.

atleast i wont be a burden on my parents anymore...and frankly, i am a loser.....i've lost all my confidence, believe me or not, im headboy at my school
Reply 5
should have taken A levels.

atleast then if you fail you only have 15 hours a week anyway.
Kash2
atleast i wont be a burden on my parents anymore...and frankly, i am a loser.....i've lost all my confidence, believe me or not, im headboy at my school

Honestly, being Head Boy doesn't mean anything. I don't mean that in a spiteful way, but at our school it's just a popularity contest anyway (tch, if you met our Head Girl you'd understand).

I don't do the IB so I don't know much about how it works, but surely the fact that nobody in the class passed says a lot about the teachers. I have no idea what you can do to get out of this mess, but you're certainly not the only one to blame. Stop being so hard on yourself!

Hope you get this sorted, please don't do anything you might regret. :hugs:
Kash2

and i can't do retakes...cuz i dun think i would be able to at all...please don't advise me to do that...cuz it won't be possible at all, and school won't be able to provide!

Why exactly can't you retake some of your exams? Apart from multiple remarks, it seems to be the most feasible option.
lol i do think in this situation if you don't know the IB, don't respond cos some do seem to come over as heartless, not that they are but i'm sure they'd rather not be seen this way
Reply 9
Svefngenglar
Why exactly can't you retake some of your exams? Apart from multiple remarks, it seems to be the most feasible option.

Don't you need to pay to retake the exams? Or maybe...the OP has forgotten most of the materials? (shouldn't be hard to catch up though.)

In any case, I don't think there are much options for the OP other than asking for remarks...?
Reply 10
Wow i'm sorry to hear that :frown:

I always thought the IB was supposed to be easier than A levels but i guess not. Obviously while we sympathise with you, none of us can reassure you as to what will happen as a result of this, as we simply don't know.

If it's any help there are a lot of people in your situation, having not achieved what they expected to get and whilst it is highly disappointing, don't let it ruin you.
Seriously, IB is never easier than A levels. But that's not the point.

OP, hang in there. Try to focus to get your priorities straight, beg to unis, make appeals, it'll work out.
Reply 12
101 Cynicism
Seriously, IB is never easier than A levels. But that's not the point.

OP, hang in there. Try to focus to get your priorities straight, beg to unis, make appeals, it'll work out.

Sorry, but what's an OP?
^Original Poster =)
Reply 14
I'm pretty sure you'll get somewhere. There are many universities that don't have high requirements.
If the whole class ended in the same position, I'm pretty sure something can be done, as it isn't really your fault.....

maybe taking up A levels is the option if it doesn't work out? I mean, at least they are modulated etc.

btw can you get into any uni with your IB score? or is it too low to be counted that you completed it?
Its not too late, can't you take A-levels at a different high school and start fresh?

By uni, you will be only one year older than people who took gap years...

I hope things work out for you :frown: There is still hope for the remarks.

And your parents are selfish, but when it comes down to it you can't choose your parents. Friends are the family you choose for yourself, and you all need eachother in this time of difficulty (if none of your class got the diploma, they must all be feeling the same way!).
Reply 17
Queen Alice
Its not too late, can't you take A-levels at a different high school and start fresh?

By uni, you will be only one year older than people who took gap years...

I hope things work out for you :frown: There is still hope for the remarks.

And your parents are selfish, but when it comes down to it you can't choose your parents. Friends are the family you choose for yourself, and you all need eachother in this time of difficulty (if none of your class got the diploma, they must all be feeling the same way!).

i can't take a-levels....i dun have much time...my parents are in this country for one more year, and god knows where they're gonna move next....so they wanna help me stay at home for atleast one of the years of the 3 years....so yea :s....a-levels not a choice...neither is resits
Kash2
i can't take a-levels....i dun have much time...my parents are in this country for one more year, and god knows where they're gonna move next....so they wanna help me stay at home for atleast one of the years of the 3 years....so yea :s....a-levels not a choice...neither is resits

You must talk to your parents. Resits are vital if you want to get into a good uni, and you probably can get much better grades come november. Are you sure you can't convince your parents of how important this is?
Reply 19
Svefngenglar
You must talk to your parents. Resits are vital if you want to get into a good uni, and you probably can get much better grades come november. Are you sure you can't convince your parents of how important this is?

yep, im 100% sure i can't convince em

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending