The Student Room Group
I'd say it was essential if you are going to be interviewed. If you want to study these subjects you should be interested in them! Popular science is brilliant - there is sure to be something out there you will enjoy, much of it written with a real sense of humour. Try Richard Feynman for physics, Atkins for chemistry and Matt Ridley for biology. Go to the shop, go to popular sciece and see what's on special offer. It may not help you, but if you like science, you will actually enjoy it. :eek:
Reply 2
Well I'm looking at Oxbridge, so I think I can safely say I'm going to be interviewed lol yay - but I'll have a look for those authors. Cheers mate :smile:
Reply 3
For Maths, 'Why do buses come in threes'...really simple and a light read but still interesting.
Reply 4
Yeah, definitely popular science at A level. Also keep an eye on the news (BBC has very handy science & nature/health/technology sections) - there are usually a few very interesting developments popping up :smile:
Reply 5
I've seen why do buses come in threes' in the library I think, not read it though, might get it next time I go if its there. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the news for sciencey stuff as well :smile:
Reply 6
None. No I am deadly serious. I hate reading. It is a pretty unbeneficial vocation in my eyes to read an entire book, unless it is for recreation! I tried to read a science book, and did read it, because I said I would. But, it was rubbish and inaccessible, like most other texts! Obviously I am incapable or reading is just meant for an elite group of people!
Reply 7
Maybe you're not reading the right books? Some of the popular science books can be very entertaining, for biology at least :smile: I think you're a physical scientist rather than a biological one but there must be some entertaining physics books out there on the popular science shelves, surely? If you go too hardcore it's always going to be boring because there *will* be gaps in your understanding which don't allow you to get as much out of the book as you could if you read it having had a higher level of education; but I'm sure there are physics books aimed at the general public, which should therefore be very easy for you to read! :wink:
I think you should read The Selfish Gene or The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins since they're both on the reading list and are pretty easy to read. Oh though the best biology book i read was the red queen by Matt Ridley really really would recommend that one.
If you want a maths books there's some Simon Singh books and a book called the music of primes which isn't bad
What are you applying for? Nat Sci?

Latest