The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
faa
Hi guys, what do you all think are the hardest sections of the chemistry a level syllabus?

thanks

electrode potentials
Reply 2
faa
Hi guys, what do you all think are the hardest sections of the chemistry a level syllabus?

thanks

I'm finding it hard to remember all the organic reactions.
Reply 3
Hash

im not surprised with a name like that
Reply 4
Hash

lots of people do say that but i find that quite easy, they are all logical
Reply 5
ryan750
im not surprised with a name like that

lmfao!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 6
faa
OP
is chemistry really as hard as everyone makes out? I find chemistry very interesting and could sit reading about it all day, whereas some people only study it as they know its well respected!
Reply 7
faa
is chemistry really as hard as everyone makes out? I find chemistry very interesting and could sit reading about it all day, whereas some people only study it as they know its well respected!

i find aspects of chemistry interesting but i couldn't read about it or do questions all day the same way i could for physics or maths
Reply 8
faa

no of course it isnt, though i may have a slightly biased view siince i'm reading for a degree in it
Reply 9
cobra01977
no of course it isnt, though i may have a slightly biased view siince i'm reading for a degree in it

Chemistry is as hard as you make it - there are lots of different branches. Organic chemists can't handle maths and the quantum people can't handle hand-waving arguments!

Ben
Ben.S.
Chemistry is as hard as you make it - there are lots of different branches. Organic chemists can't handle maths and the quantum people can't handle hand-waving arguments!

Ben

what's the hand waving argument about

and where is there a lot of maths in chemistry?

I wouldve thought organic entailed quite a bit, albeit relatively simple
organic is hard..but i suppose u get the hang of it.
Reply 12
Jack Schitt
what's the hand waving argument about

and where is there a lot of maths in chemistry?

I wouldve thought organic entailed quite a bit, albeit relatively simple

Maths in quantum theory is some of the hardest maths around, thermodynamics and physical chem in general
Reply 13
cobra01977
lots of people do say that but i find that quite easy, they are all logical
Unfortunately not...:frown:
Reply 14
Hardest thing about Chemistry is organic chemistry and everything about it. Its as if a small child created this world in its head where things are verily illogical.
Reply 15
RobbieC
Hardest thing about Chemistry is organic chemistry and everything about it. Its as if a small child created this world in its head where things are verily illogical.

Organic chemistry is actually incredibly simple - if you learn the principles, the rules make sense. If you you know the rules, you can construct the reactions and mechanisms. It's many variations on a theme.

Ben
Reply 16
Ben.S.
Organic chemistry is actually incredibly simple - if you learn the principles, the rules make sense. If you you know the rules, you can construct the reactions and mechanisms. It's many variations on a theme.

Ben

my point exactly! :smile:
Love organic chemistry,its easy peasy.
But i most definetly HATE all the enthalpy stuff i just dont get it :frown: :confused:
is quantum stuff like e=hf (but obviously gets harder) ?

enthalpy is the best. Hess is legendary
Reply 19
I don't really know what I found the hardest- there were definitely some challenging bits, but I wont call them hard. I just enjoyed all of it! I foung that making a largre spider-diagramesque image of all the orgamic reaction pathwayys helped me a lot. Just startd with something like an alcohol or a monohalagenoalkane in the middle and draw arrows with regebts and conditions going to and from the molecules, with all the different reactions and functional groups you have covered. I had 2 A3 sheets stuck together by March of my A2 year. 80ish reactions in total. Scary stuff!

Latest

Trending

Trending