The Student Room Group

Studying Mandarin Chinese

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone else is studying Mandarin? My parents both speak Cantonese, so I'm familiar with the characters, but Mandarin I can't speak so well though I have taken two years in Uni (it wasn't available at my high school and my parents thought math(s) was more important (yes, I'm from the States).

Since I've got here I've been studying online at places like http://www.zhongwenred.com but I'd really like to take a class somewhere / meet up for language exchange -> any suggestions?
Reply 1
你好!!
I study Mandarin in uni, and if I were you I'd be looking in universities if there are people willing to teach you Mandarin while you teach them English. I did it last year and it was good fun! Just put an advert in the languages department with your number and somebody might call you! :wink:
Reply 2
You can listen to Mandarin music, and as you know the charcters, you can just follow the lyrics and you'll pick up the Mando pronounciation....for example Jay Chou, Wang Leehom...etc...you could also watch Chinese videos which have Chinese subtitles on youtube.

(Canto speaker learning Mando too :biggrin: )
Reply 3
I'm studying Mandarin in my spare time during this summer :biggrin: I plan on taking some beginners modules at uni, so I want to get a feel for it so I can feel confident come summer.

Someone on TSR suggested to me www.italki.com where you can do language exchanges using a microphone over msn etc, and there are lots of enthusiast people on there.

But once you're at uni, there'll be loads of people interested in teaching you a language and learning one of themsleves, so it'll be a cinch to get someone to help you, I guess.
Best is if you look nothing like a Chinese person and you can speak Chinese :tongue:

I'm an Indian (originally) learning Mandarin. Hoping to get as fluent as I can.
Reply 5
I'm brushing up on my Mandarin too.
Using those listen-speak tapes is good.
Make friends with people who speak it.
I'm holidaying in Malaysia this summer, so i'll get more practice over there.

Latest

Trending

Trending