The Student Room Group
Entice people to apply?
Reply 2
but i would have thought there are enough people applying already, ie. many times more than the intake? thus for such a good course, BBB seems very low...
The entry tariff is 380, so hardly any straight A applicants apply to UCL for Chem eng. Chemical Engineering pays decent after graduations but salaries don't rise that much - a chartered chemical engineer earns the same as most other engineers and less than chartered accountants etc.
Maybe because it's not a very popular course.
Sure, graduates may be brilliantly paid but it may just not appeal to most.

Same with computer science, really.
Reply 5
chartered engineers earn quite bit you know! and more than any other engineers. average of 50-60 grand, which is not bad for a bbb entry course.
Reply 6
because the UCL chemical engi graduate struggle to get a job!!!!!!due to the national survey,only 30% UCL chemi engi graduate get a job after 6 months,another 30% are doing postgraduate(cos can't find a job :P) and the anothers are unemployed!!!!!
SERIOUSE!!NOT JOKING
Reply 7
serious! maybe you should learn how to spell before you sign up to a forum! check the facts first! chem eng is highly employable you muppet!
Reply 8
Chemical engineering just isn't a very popular course, it's difficult and a lot of people don't find it particularly thrilling. The first year's probably a massive step up from what you'll be used to doing for A-levels, I know it was for me, and I got good A-level grades. All my offers were around the BBC or BBB range when I applied a few years ago (for the 2004 entry), even from places like Imperial. However, even though what most people from Manchester, where I ended up, were offered was just under 3 Bs, almost everyone on my course had far better results than that and I think with anything lower the work would have been very hard.
Reply 9
yeh my point is that for a tough and challenging course, with good employment opps, the grades needed dont reflect that. It's as challenging a course as medicine I would say although I can say for sure because I dont do medicine, but people with BBB could find it difficult.

Latest