The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I only got smacked after repeated warnings so I guess I knew I'd earned it. Don't resent it.
Reply 21
charlotte01
As a child when i got my bottom smacked it made me resent my parents when they did it, am i the only person who has this reaction to it! I also find many of my friends weren't smacked, is this normal nowadays.
yeah the only reason my parents did it was to release their anger. There was no sort of discipline system, if I was hyper and didn't want to go to bed and they were annoyed, then woe me! So given that, I have no respect for the way they did it and it compounds my general disrespect/dislike even now.

I don't think they did it to my younger brother and sister either..grrr
Reply 22
My parents would smack if necessary... I think I was only "properly" smacked once, with a few other lighter ones, which were more like pats... But I NEVER wanted it to be a proper smack so behaved.

The odd smack / pat never did me any harm, and if my kids refused to listen to me, I'd do a 3 times and you get a (light) smack rule.

Part of me wishes that parents and teachers had more discipline, and some parents would listen to (repeated) teacher's concerns instead of telling their kids to carry on as are, but that's another thread somewhere along the line :p:
Reply 23
I'm afraid that I climax at just the thought of bottom spankings. I've been a very naughty boy.
Discipline is good - if anything we need more discipline. Am glad I was disciplined when I look at some of kids who's parents are junkies and neglects them and they end up in a state.

But personally, I hate being touched by my parents in any way.
Reply 25
I was smacked in John Lewis, once.

I had repeatedly concealed myself in a round clothes rack, and, after the fifth or so time it happened, my mum dragged me out and administered a swift swipe to my bottom.

It did me no end of good. I haven't hidden in any clothes racks for over seventeen years now.
Some kids plain and simple deserve to be smacked, not hard enough to leave a bruise obviously but it teaches them not to do it again far better than anything else would, the problems in todays society are far worse than in yesterdays when smacking children was a common occurence
charlotte01
As a child when i got my bottom smacked it made me resent my parents when they did it, am i the only person who has this reaction to it! I also find many of my friends weren't smacked, is this normal nowadays.

I didn't like my parents very much when they did it but i don't think it did me any lasting harm and i wouldn't worry about doing it to my kids if they were really bad. It's discipline and i even sometimes think it did me good. I think it is rare today to smack kids and i look at kids today and they are brats cos they are not disciplined in the way we were. I would not have my behaving in the way that some kids do today. No respect for adults, no consideration of others, no discipline.
Reply 28
Happened a few times. No long-term resentment at all, perfectly normal. Enough of this kids-as-kings thing ; when you cross the line, physical pain can help you get back in line.
Reply 29
I was a right pain in the arse.
Reply 30
I got a smacked bottom when I deserve - only after I had been severely warned and never very hard. It was far more of a symbolic thing. The fact that my parents were administering a swift punishment was more important than the smack itself. I was a pretty well behaved child, I think. :smile:

Used responsibly, the bottom-smack is a useful parenting tool.
If the worse you got was a smack on the bottom then you're lucky.

No I don't resent my mum, or have ill feeling towards her about it.
Usually, it was something I kept doing, didn't stop, and then the clap came.

Another question would be, would you slap your child.
I have respect for my parents because they are my parents... Not because they did or didn't smack me (they did, btw. I was a right bugger).
Reply 33
I was never smacked, and I never would smack a child. if you can raise your child without the use of physical aggression, why wouldn't you?
martin101
I think discipline in the home is what has really gone downhill and probably has lead to many of the problems we see with behaviour in society on the whole today. I was smacked as a kid and boy did it make me learn! There is something about physical punishment that people understand more than any verbal/'psychological' punisment and personally I feel there is most definately a place for corporal punisment in the home/society (but dont get me started on this!)

Thank God someone has sense!
Smacking in moderation and where necessary is good - if that stupid law about smacking being banned had been passed you would have had 12 year olds laughing at their parents when they were told to do something and walking out the door.
Deary me - yes OP you might have resented your parents at the time - but surely you should now realise the error of you ways and be happy!

I SWEAR the next person who mentions child abuse (which is a completely irrelevant thing - the law does NOT allow anyone to massively injure anyone so it's a moot point)...

Touche
I only got smacked after repeated warnings so I guess I knew I'd earned it. Don't resent it.

Ah you have sense too. :smile: Must be a medic thing.
Reply 35
Philosoraptor
Thank God someone has sense!
Smacking in moderation and where necessary is good - if that stupid law about smacking being banned had been passed you would have had 12 year olds laughing at their parents when they were told to do something and walking out the door.

amazingly enough, hitting isn't the only effective way to parent.
Reply 36
charlotte01

She must have really put some force into that huh? People's idea of what is acceptable for child discipline is changing. Have you tried confronting your mom about this ?
Reply 37
I used to get smacked by my mom but then it turned to pinching, which is more embarrassing to her because then when she does it I say OW!!! Then the people know that she has pinced me.
Reply 38
-steph-
I used to get smacked by my mom but then it turned to pinching, which is more embarrassing to her because then when she does it I say OW!!! Then the people know that she has pinced me.

Pinching is harsh :frown: and it hurts alot more, i guess maybe some people go for it because it doesn't involve "hitting" a child...but damn it, i've been pintched quite a few times...OUCH :'(
I used to get hit as a child, even up to the age of 12, and I think it affected me very badly, I felt humiliated every time it happened; and felt my personal space was being invaded; it had a huge affect on my confidence and self esteem; I really try to avoid thinking about it, but every time I do, I feel terrible.

I do definately resent me parents for it; which is a cause of great inner confusion, because of course I love them and hate them at the same time

Latest

Trending

Trending