The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

imtired
Video description: DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT! It looked good as well, but now i know who dies, thanks for spoiling it!!!

:woo:

Lol! :rofl: it doesn't give away anything! The screen fades at the moment of truth! Stop rubbing it in! :p:

Anyway, La Haine is probably, out of all the other films on this here thread, the only one that's become part of the French A level Studies Syllabus... there you go, hope I haven't spoilt it for everyone else :embarassed:
Muppety_Kid
Les Choristes! :^_^:

It's a really good film about a music teacher who ends up at a school for the lowest of the low (it's called "Fond de l'Etang" - "Bottom of the Well"/"Rock Bottom" :p:). I won't say any more, I wouldn't want to ruin it for you.

Yes yes yes, that was going to be my suggestion. Fabulous film :yep:
jonnythemoose
Yes yes yes, that was going to be my suggestion. Fabulous film :yep:

:five:

Quite a few people on here have suggested it, but I'd watch the French version. It's got English subtitles, and it's good to hear the voices in the background (even if you're not "listening" to it because you're reading the subtitles) to get your ear tuned into the accents.
Reply 23
I'd recommend these:

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain

Simply: It's about a lonely girl who devises complicated, bizarre to make people happy, and lastly herself. But that doesn't capture the fast, amusing narrative, the bizarre ideas and the excellent music behind such an amazing idyllic Parisian RomCom.

Click here for imdb's info

Un Long Dimanche De Fiancailles

This is based on a novel set in the water where the girl (who is bound to a wheelchair, although more so in the book!) believes her childhood love is still alive somewhere, missing in battle during the War. It's about love and her desperate search for something because of this love.

Clicky here for imdb info

Delicatessen

A weird dystopic post-war film in which corn is used as money and human flesh is used for food. An underground group of vegetarian 'frogs' in the sewers counter this and together with a new tennant falling in love with the butcher's daughter it creates a very dark comedy.

Clicky for imdb info

Le Dîner de cons

This is a film about a group of intelligent, pretentious adults who to amuse themselves bring an 'idiot' to dinner. Hilarious consequences ensue as this dinner changes the diner's entire life in farcical fashion!

Clicky for imdb info

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 24
Personally I don't think there is much to be raved about with French cinema. But it's worth a try to get a feel of the language.

Firstly I will tell you what not to watch, La Vie En Rose (also called La Mome).
How that woman won an oscar I do not know, it was a horrific film and I was just willing her to die in the end.......maybe if you know something of Edith Piaf before hand you will see it differently but I just found it so boring.

I enjoyed (parts of) Paris, Je T'aime. It is a collection of short films taken from around the different arrondissements of Paris.
From French and international directors and actors, maybe if you watched that you could see a style you like and look up that director to find out more.

Amelie is also good, but you really ahve to be in the right frame of mind for something a bit thoughtful for that.
I also had to watch La Haine for A level, and I liked it, even if it is a bit hard to follow.

But my favourite French film is La Science Des Reves...........and that is in Spansh and English.
Well, like I said I'm not a lover of French cinema!

If you have sky (preferbly + because they are almost always on at some ungodly hour) look through the listings each week for Film Four and BBC4 and you might find some little gems.
Reply 25
Amélie = :puke: So overrated, and very pretentious.

It's sad, because there is so much brilliant french cinema out there. Everyone studying French should become acquainted the three greats of French cinema: Claude Chabrol, (L'Enfer and la ceremonie are amazing) Jean-Luc Godard(Le Mépris is excellent) and François Truffaut (Les 400 coups, La Peau Douce, A bout de Souffle). These directors really deal with the realities of French society and life in a way which is quite different from Hollywood cinema/ our English dramas.
Irreversible, La Haine, Amelie
Days of Glory was a good french film I saw this week.

Just something a bit less obvious you might want to check out.

Le Diner de Cons was a worthy tribute to a bygone era of comedy as well.

Oh and Amelie is neither overrated or pretentious, what it is creative, different and there is not other word but beautiful.
Reply 28
Amelie and Jeux d'Enfants are two of my favourite films. Also La Haine I've heard is very good
La Faute a Fidel
WOW :eek3:

Kudos to all! :yeah:

I'll make this my reference point for future ideas of films, so thanks to all that have recommend one, maybe even 5! :biggrin:

My French isn't too bad, in fact I just put on a TV program (very boring so I didn't watch much) that was for beginners to the language, and I understood most of it :biggrin:

Thanks again!
I went to see Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis recently -- was a nice comedy.
Although It's not in french, Leon is a great french film.
I'm rather surprised that no one has mentioned it yet but:

La Vie En Rose/La Môme

AMAZING!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450188/
Audrey Hepburn
I'm rather surprised that no one has mentioned it yet but:

La Vie En Rose/La Môme

AMAZING!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450188/

Oh yes, I'd like to see that! :love:
Reply 35
Paris Je T'aime might be quite good because it's a collection of short films and they vary in complexity of the language. There's certainly 1 or 2 that are in very basic French so you wouldn't even need to concentrate on the subtitles that much.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Le schapandre et le papillon) is very interesting, it's based on the memoir of Jean-Dominique Bauby who suffered from locked-in syndrome after a stroke. He dictated the entire memoir by blinking one eye as a transcriber read the alphabet.

If you don't want to spend much on French cinema, there's always the trick of checking DVDs you already own for ones that have a French audio track and watching it with English subtitles. I spent a few weeks doing that as A Level "revision". :P
alicats
If you don't want to spend much on French cinema, there's always the trick of checking DVDs you already own for ones that have a French audio track and watching it with English subtitles. I spent a few weeks doing that as A Level "revision". :P
I've thought about this, but was amazed at how many of my DVD's don't have French as an option, but those that are less common... very strange :s-smilie:
Reply 37
alicats

I would definitely advise this too, I love watching my films with French audio, or even just French subtitles; subtitles are a great way of improving vocab esepcially :smile:
Reply 38
La Haine
La Fille Sur Le Pont
Reply 39
if u like funny, taxi and taxi 2... toooooo funny!!

Latest

Trending

Trending