The Student Room Group

Governance of International Trade

The New Zealand representative would like to call for other representatives to consider the liberalisation of international trade barriers and to petition their nations to also contemplate freeing up international trade governance.

New Zealand is slightly anomalous in that it relies much more heavily on agriculture than many other OECD nations. The contribution of agriculture to New Zealand's economy stands at around 17%, with roughly 13% of the population employed in agriculture related positions. This leads to a strong interest in the rules and the organisations that govern international trade.

Studies undertaken by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade suggest that further trade liberalisation, building on the Uruguay Round, would provide substantial stability to the New Zealand economy and would help in moving certain industries (for example, agriculture) towards an open and free market model.

Agriculture is merely an illustrative example, in that it is particularly effected by trade barriers and the like, however, we believe that many other sectors could also benefit from freer trade regulations.
Reply 1
Free trade doesn't work. Look at the EU.
Reply 2
Ethereal
Free trade doesn't work. Look at the EU.

The World Trade Organisation disagrees with that stance. And the New Zealand representative advocates the stance that free trade is a goal that is achievable and beneficial to all.

The representative also notes that reports indicate that trade is most distorted in the agriculture sector and this is why this issue has been raised in particular.
Reply 3
Voldy
The World Trade Organisation disagrees with that stance. And the New Zealand representative advocates the stance that free trade is a goal that is achievable and beneficial to all.

The representative also notes that reports indicate that trade is most distorted in the agriculture sector and this is why this issue has been raised in particular.

With free trade comes open borders and increased pan-country economic codependence. It is an increcibly dangerous path to take.
Reply 4
Russia believes that lowering of barriers and tariffs can increase the quality of living for all, and so is in favour, though feels that this is a discussion to take place in the WTO or between individual nations.
Reply 5
Ethereal
With free trade comes open borders and increased pan-country economic codependence. It is an increcibly dangerous path to take.

Can I just ask whether you're arguing on a personal basis, or on behalf of South Africa, whom I believe you represent? Just because from what I've read South Africa is a vocal member of the WTO and a proponent for the free trade it strives for. :smile:
Reply 6
Voldy
Can I just ask whether you're arguing on a personal basis, or on behalf of South Africa, whom I believe you represent? Just because from what I've read South Africa is a vocal member of the WTO and a proponent for the free trade it strives for. :smile:

I'm being pragmatic. South Africa does indeed endorse the WTO but it is not a supporter of unabashed global free-trade. South Africa believes regional trading organisations (such as the one set up between Canada and America) will achieve the right aims without compromising nationality, borders, customs or control.

It does not want to see, for example, the African nations go down the route of the EU.

Latest

Trending

Trending