The Student Room Group

Where can I see abandoned buildings and factorys?

Scroll to see replies

Bagration
Not neccessarily. When the depression hit alot of Welsh miners and factory workers moved to England and so there was never really a chance to rebuild what was lost at that point, but I would think that's only a small minority...

Yes, a small number. Although it was still only this year that Wales' last deep pit closed, isn't it? Even for someone like from, from an ex-mining area, it seems staggering that there are still even some deep mines.

I'm not denying that the peak of the industry was in the 1920s and from then onwards (so for eight years) it went into a decline. I am aware the effect of the 1926/1927 strike and then the post-1929 depression had on them. Many went abroad and some of the smaller mines did close. It's just with the industry still quite extensive right up to the Thatcher years, plus the steelworks and even some new 1960s/1970s industry such as chemical

So yes, it reached its peak eighty years ago but it wasn't really until much later that the industry fell into what I would call a heavy decline (and death). I didn't mean to be pendantic, I was just wanted to know if Reilly (who I'm sure knows more than I do) was talking about industry other than coal and steel and what can of buildings are around. I have an interest in this also (I'm quite sad :redface: )

Anyway, I'll get to thinking of some rural areas that have gone into decline. On the site of Newcastle photos I gave in the first place there will be a picture of an abandoned farm in a Northumberland village called Wylam. Unfortunately (for the OP) that farm is very much a one off and completely out of character for the village, which is still vibrant and beautiful.

Still, I've never been into that farm. Think I'll have a walk down now :biggrin:
Reply 21
Garden_Gnome
Without being pedantic wouldn't it be more life thirty and forty years ago? Ot at least Post WW2?

After all, South Wales' steel and coal mining was still going in the 60s and 70s even if, like other areas of the country, it was subsidised. It was only when she who can't be named came into power that they well and truly declined and became inactive in the 80s and 90s.

Or were you talking about different industry?

Haha I don't think you're going to get away without sounding pedantic on that post...but it's TSR you're fine :biggrin:

Yeah you're probably right, though I would say it declined rapidly more so in the fifties than later (although though the initial decline definitely started earlier, as as southwales became a very important industrial port exporting goods, it also became a great landing for imports, plus although I phrased it wrong the building, even if they were abandoned in the 50's are mostly victorian) there are a lot of factories not involved with coal and steel which declined, particularly packaging factories and pottery/glass manufacturing, which can be found all along the canal systems through the valleys, particularly along the tawe and the nedd.

RAF Upwood.
Reply 23
You will love this site http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/
Basically people taking pictures of abandoned buildings
Cane Hill. It's an abandoned Asylum, I know of a couple of people who are in to UrbEx and are absolutely obsessed by it, making several visits. Very atmospheric, plenty to explore, bit of security but you should be able to find ways round it and it might be a bit of a buzz.
In Scunthorpe, North Lindsey College has an abandoned workshop with an upstairs level!

Here is what it looked like when I explored it:

[video="youtube;SoEh-93CNl8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoEh-93CNl8[/video]

However, the security guards are now too fascist to let anybody even go near it! :unimpressed:

(So you'd have to somehow sneak into it!)

Quick Reply

Latest