The Student Room Group

Too many hours?

I started a new job on Wednesday and i've worked 5 shifts in a row and to be honest i feel like utter ****. I'm finding it VERY difficult to sleep and i've broken into tears alot because i am so overtired. I am thinking about asking for less shifts but i'm worried as its short notice they will say no and i will feel even worse.

Also this may not seem too bad to msot of you but i have a 0900-4 shift tomorrow and im really really scared about it.

I have no idea what to do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How long is a shift?

Work is tiring. I started work a fortnight ago and have never felt so exhausted in all my life!
Reply 2
kat2pult
How long is a shift?

Work is tiring. I started work a fortnight ago and have never felt so exhausted in all my life!

Um its only about 6 hours maximum but i'm quite young and not one of these 'hardcore' people who don't need sleep. I've neevr felt like this before.
Reply 3
So you did 30 hours straight? Or do you mean 6 hours a day?
Reply 4
No 6 hours 5 days a week but i started on Wednesday and its been 30 hours in 5 days.
Reply 5
well what sort of contract are you on?
if youre on like an 8 hour or 16 hour just say you only want to work your contract. legeally thats all you have to do.
if you're on a 30 hour contracts theres **** all you can do. sozza
Jessikar
No 6 hours 5 days a week but i started on Wednesday and its been 30 hours in 5 days.

You will get used to it. I've felt exhausted this week doing 37.5 hours over 5 days. What do you do? Just make sure you relax when not at work and get plenty of good sleep.
Reply 7
Cate15
well what sort of contract are you on?
if youre on like an 8 hour or 16 hour just say you only want to work your contract. legeally thats all you have to do.
if you're on a 30 hour contracts theres **** all you can do. sozza

Its only part time and i put that i wanted to work 20 hours max a week... and its about 36 hours next week.
Reply 8
Jessikar

lol, im meant to be doing 8 hour days straight for 5 days, i end up doing 10/9 hours a day... plus commuting takes me about 1 hour, and oh im on my feet ALL day, you have it easy :wink:
Reply 9
Mos Def
lol, im meant to be doing 8 hour days straight for 5 days, i end up doing 10/9 hours a day... plus commuting takes me about 1 hour, and oh im on my feet ALL day, you have it easy :wink:

Yeah but like i said some people can handle it better than others and im exhausted and i can't sleep and also i have no appetite and i feel sick.
Reply 10
lol... seriously, people work all day everyday for years on end. Stop being such a wuss.

Your body will adapt, you've only done 5, give it another 5 and you'll slip into a pattern. It's called hard work.
6 hours a day is nothing - i have worked 12-15 hours a day for a week (Although not every week) but soem peopel do rack up between 60-80 hours each week.

At the evry minimum you will probably be doing 35-40 hours a week in a ful ltiem so you better get used to it - and you will I'm sure.
Jessikar
Yeah but like i said some people can handle it better than others and im exhausted and i can't sleep and also i have no appetite.

If it is affecting you that much then you have to choose between earning extra money or asking your boss to cut your hours down. They are the options. If you are meant to work all the hours you do and you ask for less you are taking a risk. There are lots of people looking for work so if you can't work all the hours then someone else will.

Give it time and your body will adjust. Are you going out all the time when not working and being busy in the rest of your life? I work 37.5 hours a week so when I get home at night I do nothing at all but eat, relax and sleep. You probably can't sleep because you are stressing about it.
Reply 13
Jessikar

You do realise that a normal working week is 37.5 hours, don't you? That's 5 days, 7.5 hours per day. Get over yourself.
Just think of all that money at the end of the month you would of earned yourself
Reply 15
SillyFencer
You do realise that a normal working week is 37.5 hours, don't you? That's 5 days, 7.5 hours per day. Get over yourself.

Yeah but isn't that full time?
Reply 16
Jessikar

Yeah. What else do you have on atm? You're on the summer holidays surely?
Jessikar

Yes. If you are contracted for part time then say something. It is the only way to get less hours. Your boss will just presume you are grateful for the extra hours otherwise as most people would be!
Reply 18
SillyFencer
Yeah. What else do you have on atm? You're on the summer holidays surely?

Yeah i am but it was my own choice to get a job during the holidays and i didn't want to spend my whole week working and i only wanted 20 hours.
Jessikar
Yeah i am but it was my own choice to get a job during the holidays and i didn't want to spend my whole week working and i only wanted 20 hours.

Tell them then! Say you will only work the hours you agreed in your contract and see what happens next...

Latest

Trending

Trending