The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To echo most of the replies in this thread, amazing book, slow starter but really gets going towards the last 1/3, with an amazing ending. Stick with it and you won't be disappointed.
Reply 21
I'd just reiterate what the others have said. It really does start a bit slow, and at points you might be wondering if you should continue. Well, continue. It'll gradually pick up, and it gets more exciting towards the end, and I think "Stick with it and you won't be disappointed" is probably the best phrase to describe this book.
Reply 22
Kizz91
I'm reading it ^^ right now, I'm about a third of the way through, and I still don't know whether it's an amazing piece of literature or an odd and excessive rant. I quite like the style of writing, but I don't know what to make of the rest of it really.

Anyone else read it? Just wondering really. If I get to the end and love it, I might do it for my A2 Eng lit coursework.

i read it, a bit boring at the start, but once you really get into it it's hard to put down, a bit emotionally rending too
Its a really good book :smile: as others have said, its a bit slow in places, with an amazing end.
Reply 24
This book is truly amazing. It's so powerful, with its language and with the emotions in it. I read this book simply because I was browsing a bookshop and I remembered I'd heard somebody recommend it. Right from the first page I was hooked. I was engrossed in it and read it quite quickly.

That was over a year ago and the power of the book is still with me. Lionel Shriver is such a skilled author, and the ending really shocked me- definitely not what I'd been expecting. It's one of those books that once you read, you can never forget it.
Very creepy and sad and odd. Not sure if I like it or not really.
I LOVED this book!! made me cry at the end, but seriously, it was all i could think about for days!
I would love to do this book for A2, but my coursework is on The colour Purple so im not sure it would fit...
any ideas?!
I'm about 150 pages in and it's ****ing annoying me atm. It's very slow, cumbersome read...

but i've read this much and i'm not going to give in, neverrrr...

i'm skipping through what i deem waffle...certainly not reading every word, every line, every sentence...
Kizz91
I'm reading it ^^ right now, I'm about a third of the way through, and I still don't know whether it's an amazing piece of literature or an odd and excessive rant. I quite like the style of writing, but I don't know what to make of the rest of it really.

Anyone else read it? Just wondering really. If I get to the end and love it, I might do it for my A2 Eng lit coursework.

I found this book when I was on holiday in Egypt last month. I really didn't like it tbh. I got about 30 pages into and got fed up. The style just really got on my nerves. It was the way she was writing letters to her ex and the language she was using just made her seem a bit whiney to me, it was a bit unrealistic and it bored me.

That's just what I think though. You might end up enjoying it but it just wasn't my thing.
Thought this book was amazing. I really wasn't expecting the ending and it really shocked me. Brilliantly written!

I've been recommending it to everyone since
Reply 30
itsallgdgdiau
I found this book when I was on holiday in Egypt last month. I really didn't like it tbh. I got about 30 pages into and got fed up. The style just really got on my nerves. It was the way she was writing letters to her ex and the language she was using just made her seem a bit whiney to me, it was a bit unrealistic and it bored me.

That's just what I think though. You might end up enjoying it but it just wasn't my thing.

Her ex...assuming you didn't get to the end then, that would be her DEAD ex, murdered by her own son...

I'm using it as a basis for my Lit cw now, a study or whether or not evil can be innate.
Kizz91
Her ex...assuming you didn't get to the end then, that would be her DEAD ex, murdered by her own son...

I'm using it as a basis for my Lit cw now, a study or whether or not evil can be innate.

lol...noo i didn't. (EDIT: as i said lol). got bored but it's kwl if you liked it :smile:
Not yet read to the end, but what an incredible book. A slow-burner in the beginning but good-lord, Shriver is a genius, a genius i tell thee.
Reply 33
white_haired_wizard
Not yet read to the end, but what an incredible book. A slow-burner in the beginning but good-lord, Shriver is a genius, a genius i tell thee.

what about her new book has anyone read it yet?
itsallgdgdiau

I can understand that - parts of it are amazing, then occasionally you get pissed off with the style of writing and when 'Eva' goes off on rants, i.e. paragraphs that are 4-5 lines long etc...

Tbh, i really should have had the English dictionary on hand to understand some of the words Shriver used. People just do not write diaries like this but i suppose 'Eva' may have had time on her hands to do so...maybe Eva had a book-selling opportunity in mind when writing her diaries to Franklin...

non-fiction craziness available for public consumption :eek:
Aspire
what about her new book has anyone read it yet?

I've only just finished this book. Not read any of her other books. Don't have the time to at the moment...
Kizz91

You realise lots of people may wander into this thread that haven't read the book, and here you are ruining the ending...
i never got into it...
X
Reply 38
A is for Awesome
You realise lots of people may wander into this thread that haven't read the book, and here you are ruining the ending...

If they read this far into the thread, I'm guessing they'll have read it....seriously, what wou;d be the point otherwise...

:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending