The Student Room Group

We Need To Talk About Kevin...

I'm reading it ^^ right now, I'm about a third of the way through, and I still don't know whether it's an amazing piece of literature or an odd and excessive rant. I quite like the style of writing, but I don't know what to make of the rest of it really.

Anyone else read it? Just wondering really. If I get to the end and love it, I might do it for my A2 Eng lit coursework.

Scroll to see replies

What about him?
Reply 2
ive got the book but havent started to read it yet lol
Reply 3
I've not read it, but Lionel Shriver is hot.
Reply 4
Kater Murr
What about him?

Well, apparently he murdered a some kids in his canteen and a couple of staff...pretty serious I guess...

And Profesh, I agree :yep: Lionel Schriver is yummy :O
Reply 5
I haven't read it, but I listened to it on Radio 4 a while ago :smile:
I thought doing it from a mother's perspective was an interesting idea, I liked it but I didn't love it.
I really liked it, I can't even remember why because it was over a year ago I read it but I just remember thinking it was amazing!
Reply 7
I've got it on my shelf and is amongst the few I'll be reading soon after Birdsong!
I read it about 18 months ago, loved it.
Reply 9
m i l o
I've got it on my shelf and is amongst the few I'll be reading soon after Birdsong!

That's next on the list; then Color Purple, Alias Grace, 100 Years of Solitude and maybe Spies. All I'm going to do this summer is read...
The book is really good. I like it alot.
Reply 11
Kizz91
That's next on the list; then Color Purple, Alias Grace, 100 Years of Solitude and maybe Spies. All I'm going to do this summer is read...

Yeah, me too. I need to get into the habit of sitting down and reading books in one sitting! I've got so many I need to do this to get through my huge unread collection! :smile:
I adored it.
I wasn't very into it until I got about a 1/3 of the way through, and then I didn't put it down.
Stick with it, it gets amazing.
Reply 13
Amykins
I adored it.
I wasn't very into it until I got about a 1/3 of the way through, and then I didn't put it down.
Stick with it, it gets amazing.

I was the same - wasn't sure before if it was my sort of book, but i finished it yesterday and I'm really glad i finished it. I am going to do it for my A2 coursework now, too, because it fits so well with Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood, which is my other choice.
This is one of my favourite books of all time. I agree with the people who've said that you don't get into it straight away, but it's worth sticking with it, it's excellent.
I've read it, it gets better as you read on though :p:
Reply 16
Spies=bane of 2 years of my life *shudder*

But back on topic, I've got it out from the library and its sitting in a growing pile of books to be read, not helped by the fact i went out and bought 3 books yesterday [have to love HMV's highly highly discounted selection of awesome reads]
Reply 17
We Need To Talk About Kevin is incredible! Slow for a long time, but everything falls into place, and the last 50 pages or so are some of the best in literature. It's maybe an overlong buildup with only a few peaks along the way, but it's really worth it at the end.
Reply 18
I love this book. Have read it a few times and with each reading, I like it even more!
It's so creepy and I agree with ChrisQ that the last 50ish pages are amazing.
Reply 19
I got this book after going into WHSmiths and randomly picking one! The writing style is at times very annoying (every word is excessively long and seemingly taken from a dictionary) but after a while the plot really picks up. Its a great read and the ending is amazing.

Latest

Trending

Trending