The Student Room Group
Reply 1
How did you get one of those, thought you ran a couple of nightclubs as a job, now you're a car mechanic?

They do have extremely good discounts using the card from what i can see online.

Haven't used rainx myself but have heard good things.
hate_xams
How did you get one of those, thought you ran a couple of nightclubs as a job, now you're a car mechanic?

They do have extremely good discounts using the card from what i can see online.

Haven't used rainx myself but have heard good things.

All I did was showed the fella a bunch of invoices i had to him to show i would purchase alot of things, he then gave me one .......

Read it on a forum , think moneysavingexpert..........

mse
Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you're a mechanic or in the trade and can prove it then the Halfords Trade Card could mean sizeable savings. To prove you're eligible you'll need to show either your City and Guilds in Motor Mechanics certificate, or equivalent, or proof that you're employed as a technician.

However, even if you've been working in the trade for some time and can't prove you're qualified, some store managers will, at their discretion, give cards to those who can prove they make a lot of purchases by showing receipts from local motor factors although they'll also prefer that this be accompanied with proof of employment where possible.

*sigh*
Reply 3
Ah cool, cheers! I may look into getting one of those, could save a few quid on bits and bobs.
You can usually get these trade cards by joining a car club, the Vauxhall Owners Network give you a Halfords card upon joining whereas autobahnstormers gives you Vauxhall Dealership trade cards. Quite handy if you do a lot of car work.
Reply 5
I need to get one of those. A friend of mine got one recently so it should be easy enough for me to get one too.

50% off on batteries I believe?
You get better discount on the Halfords own brand stuff than on other brands.

You will still retain the normal trade price on stuff that's on special offer.
For example, if a 5l bottle of oil has been reduced by 20% retail, you won't get 20% off the trade price. It will remain the normal trade price, so be careful about that.

Bulbs are dirt cheap though.
A friend used to work there and still has the Halfords 15% discount card. I'm not sure if that's the same as what you have though.

I do use RainX on my windscreen and its very good at clearing the water, especially on the motorway where the wind just blows it straight off, meaning you don't have to use wipers. :wink:
Tofufi
I need to get one of those. A friend of mine got one recently so it should be easy enough for me to get one too.

50% off on batteries I believe?

Funny you should mention. Today i bought a battery and used my brothers trade card as he works there and instead of paying £59.99 i payed £36. Almost 50%.
Reply 9
Ace :biggrin:

I'll have to get myself one of those then. I need a BIG battery, I find the smaller ones don't last as many years.
Tofufi
Ace :biggrin:

I'll have to get myself one of those then. I need a BIG battery, I find the smaller ones don't last as many years.

thats what she said
Reply 11
I see what you did there :eek:
Reply 12
I've got one, its saved me a fortune over the last few years. They are easy to get so definitely recommend applying for one.

Only problem is it doesnt cover paint, but apparently it will soon :gthumb:
Cheshire_Tom
A friend used to work there and still has the Halfords 15% discount card. I'm not sure if that's the same as what you have though.

I do use RainX on my windscreen and its very good at clearing the water, especially on the motorway where the wind just blows it straight off, meaning you don't have to use wipers. :wink:

15% is staff discount.

The trade cards are only on car parts and tools.

Batteries vary but are in general 40% cheaper on trade.
The Hitchhiker
15% is staff discount.

The trade cards are only on car parts and tools.

Batteries vary but are in general 40% cheaper on trade.

O yeah thats it. You're right, he has the staff discount which isn't as good.
Cheshire_Tom
O yeah thats it. You're right, he has the staff discount which isn't as good.

You can't use trade on non car parts or tools so for something like a bike staff discount is better.