The Student Room Group

Physical Pharmacy

Dont' have a TSM account so my friend said i could use hers.

Has anyone else done this module when studying pharmacy? If so, how the hell did you manage to pass it? I'm resitting it this year and don't see how i have a hope in hell of making it to 2nd year, as i just don't understand this module at all. There's hundreds of equations, and some of the time the lecturers don't even tell you what half the symbols mean. I would try and just learn the stuff off by heart, but as i don't have a clue what it's talking about this makes it very difficult.
Can anyone recommend a book/website or anything that might help, i've already got Martins Physical Pharmacy but that just confused me more.
Thanks
Reply 1
Florence and Attwood is a good book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physiochemical-Principles-Pharmacy-T-Florence/dp/0853696101

They have also done a revision version called 'FastTrack Physical Pharmacy'

If you try and learn the theory behind physical pharmacy, before you learn the equations, you'll find it a lot easier. Once you know why stuff happens and what happens when things are changed, the equations should start to make more sense.
try and learn some of the "easier" bits that are guaranteed to come up, and see if there's any practice q's around ( i know there's none if you're a manchester student)
I remember it being a bastard of a subject, made even more frustrating cos you know full well its stuff you'll never ever need to know to that level of detail when doing the job!
Reply 3
Jimmocrates
I remember it being a bastard of a subject, made even more frustrating cos you know full well its stuff you'll never ever need to know to that level of detail when doing the job!

Unless you go into R&D... though not many people do. Maybe it should be an optional module!
I got a C for that module, failed the human physiology module instead lol.

For physical, I just wrote down all the rate equations, learned them, learned some other equations and hoped for the best. Depends how high you're aiming but if you just want to pass then learning the equations (there are about 60 in total mind...) should do it. I sort of guessed or used common sense with some of the other ones.
Hey. I think I got a C for this. If I remember rightly, I read a lot of Cairns' book and learned the rate equations and things like percentage unionised and what a zwitterion is. It helped loads.

The best thing was the past papers, so many of those questions or similar ones came up in the exam, perhaps it'll happen again.

Best of luck.
Oh yeah, that happened in this year's paper firepoint - I just hadnt read the answers of some of them carefully enough, but if you do then it gives you a good few marks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending