The Student Room Group

How do you define a "chav"?

After seeing the "do you hate chavs?" thread, it seems that there's a lot of ambiguity as to what a "chav" actually is.

In my eyes, a "chav" is someone who conforms to a stereotype, namely, wearing chavvy clothes, drinking on street corners, playing ****ty music from cars with loud engines, generally terrorising people and being a bit of a knobhead. I would use it as a derogatory term, because it is justified to do so (as anyone who fits this description, regardless of background, in my opinion, is a bit of a ******.)

However, others may define a "chav" as someone who is from a poor/council estate background and has poor parents, and has a family with very little prospects, regardless of their behaviour, and I don't think it is fair at all to use this definition disparagingly.

Often, the two sometimes correlate. Most people who I define as being a "chav" would also fit the second definition, i.e. coming from a poor background. However, someone from such a background may not be a chav because they don't fit the stereotype which I gave (I know many people from poor backgrounds who are nothing like "chavs" how I would define them), and conversely, I know quite a few people from richer middle-class backgrounds being chavs and displaying chavvy behaviour.

So, how would you define "chav"?

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that it's fair or right that poorer people are more likely to be chavs, but I'm just stating an observation I've made, and I'm in no way advocating discrimination against people for their wealth/background.

Scroll to see replies

Well, I don't really use the term "chav", the term "hooligan" seems more appropriate.
Chav is more about attitude and behaviour than social background IMO. But yeah it does appear to correlate somewhat.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav :laugh:
Reply 3
A southern scally.
Poorly educated, non-skilled job with no chance of improving/ on the dole, normally obese with three children and one on the way, sounds common and feels the need to broadcast it to everyone within a three mile radius, ratty Argos jewellery, no manners.

My hometown is the birthplace of the chav (Chatham) so what most people would call a chav doesn't even register to me anymore. Unless you have all the above qualities, you're just a wannabe compared to most people I see in the High Street.
Reply 5
randomgirl
Chav is more about attitude and behaviour than social background IMO. But yeah it does appear to correlate somewhat.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav :laugh:

LOL.. yup that pretty much sums it up.
Reply 6
Anybody who wears their tracksuit bottoms tucked into tube socks whilst wearing Lacoste trainers can be defined as a "chav." :yep:

Apart from that.... the term is complete *******s IMO and not one I use all that often.
Reply 7
I would define a 'chav' as a -common generalisation
The first time I heard the term used was around 2005.
Reply 9
tommm
After seeing the "do you hate chavs?" thread, it seems that there's a lot of ambiguity as to what a "chav" actually is.

In my eyes, a "chav" is someone who conforms to a stereotype, namely, wearing chavvy clothes, drinking on street corners, playing ****ty music from cars with loud engines, generally terrorising people and being a bit of a knobhead. I would use it as a derogatory term, because it is justified to do so (as anyone who fits this description, regardless of background, in my opinion, is a bit of a ******.)

However, others may define a "chav" as someone who is from a poor/council estate background and has poor parents, and has a family with very little prospects, regardless of their behaviour, and I don't think it is fair at all to use this definition disparagingly.

Often, the two sometimes correlate. Most people who I define as being a "chav" would also fit the second definition, i.e. coming from a poor background. However, someone from such a background may not be a chav because they don't fit the stereotype which I gave (I know many people from poor backgrounds who are nothing like "chavs" how I would define them), and conversely, I know quite a few people from richer middle-class backgrounds being chavs and displaying chavvy behaviour.

So, how would you define "chav"?

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that it's fair or right that poorer people are more likely to be chavs, but I'm just stating an observation I've made, and I'm in no way advocating discrimination against people for their wealth/background.

I was told that it was "Council-housed aggressive vermin", which I doubt. I tend not to say it but they have to be really, bloody annoying.

On a side note, from my school, some would say any who attend state schools are chavs. Nonsense, clearly.
Generalisations can be useful.

Chav for me is mostly about the attitude and particular way of action. It's annoying but I've got the accept the possability there are rich, smart chavs who just act like that
Reply 11
I havent seen a proper 'chav' where i live in ages.. Nowadays they all think there 'gangsta's'.
Reply 12
chav... wel burberry comes into mind lol... those from poor backgrounds who live on run down estates.. always wear trackies, go round in groups actin as if they own da streets... n da gals always have thier names in their gold hoop earings....wid thier hair in a side pony lol wel das my definition...
NJHL
I was told that it was "Council-housed aggressive vermin"

I thought it was "Council Housed and Violent" which sums it up for me. Where I am a chav comes from a run down council estate, wears fake burberry/designer clothes, gets drunk and has a punch up nightly and has about 4 kids by the age of 13. :p:
I heard "Council House Associated Violence" but it's probably fake.

I usually take it to mean someone who takes pride from ignorance. The dress and affectations usually single them out but I think it's more of a mental position then societal position or dress. The Princes can be pretty chavvy.
Reply 15

Derived from Chatham in Kent, this term can be applied loosely to every culture with a nasty, thieving element. There are many variants of this creature but all are subject to the following commonalities:

Chavs are completely Amoral, having never been subjected to right and wrong by their inattentive, uncaring and often absent parents.

Chavs are part Magpie, evidentially supported by their love of all things shiny, or as vaccuous, illiterate street-slang would say 'Bling'. They can be seen twokking from the Jewelry counter in Argos/Index.

Whatever their ethnic background, Chavs have a built-in affinity to hip-hop/R&B, even if they are inherently racist (see the Scottish). They see their life as glamorous and cool.

Taken from that urban dictionary page.

My favourite word there is vaccuous. [sic]
We have some of those here too.... We don't call them chavs of course, I don't know what we call them but we definitely have them.
Especially in my old school.

It's been 8 years since we graduated from high school and I still see them hanging at the same bars and cafes as they used to in high school, interested only in drinking and fighting. They (boys and girls) wear cheap clothes and expensive accessories which they show off all the time, and seem to have absolutely no purpose in life and no plan for their future and they think that being rude and abnoxious is a sign of cleverness.

Plus, all the things you described at your post, OP.

So, don't worry, chavs is not a british phenomenon.
Devvo - classic example of a chav
Council
House
And
Violent.
Someone who wears a cap on a plane.

Latest

Trending

Trending