The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Question for Uni of Edinburgh students

Hello!
If my grades are good enough, I should be going to Edinburgh next year. This is exciting, but I'm also a bit apprehensive about it. All of my friends who have gone to uni have really enjoyed themselves, but they're all heavily into the drinking scene, which I can enjoy once in a while but prefer to do other things. If you go to the university or have any experience with it, I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me some insight into the atmosphere of the place...and hopefully reassure me that there are many different groups there into many different things and I won't spend four years in a place that I don't fit...?
i feel the same and im applying to edinburgh next year too :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I don't think it should be a massive problem, but you will have to put in a lot of work at times. I'm not really into the drinking scene either (I don't mind one at home but don't see the point in going out all the time) and to be honest I've not really made many friends here. I found a lot of societies to be a bit closed off, particularly the sports ones where drinking is more important. But, I think that with some work you shouldn't have any difficulties :smile:
I wont have loads of money to spend on alcohol!!
hehe

Hey - edinburgh is a hugely cultural city and yes it has the bars and the nightlife but its got asolutely everything else you could think of!!
Drinking is a big part of every uni life i think - and loads of other unis dont have the other amazing stuff that edinburgh has so you will never be bored and never feel like youre missing out.

Hope that settles your mind a bit :smile:
Reply 4
students drink loads ! but trust me there are LOADS of students who aren't massively into it.

for example, i was on the canoe club committee, and didnt get reelected because the club thought there was too much drinking led on by me!

though i love a tipple its a clear example where people are uncomfortable with binge drinking, so dont feel alone !
lukeyboy
students drink loads ! but trust me there are LOADS of students who aren't massively into it.

for example, i was on the canoe club committee, and didnt get reelected because the club thought there was too much drinking led on by me!

though i love a tipple its a clear example where people are uncomfortable with binge drinking, so dont feel alone !

Are you saying the canoe club is uncomfortable with binge drinking? Or am I missing something here?
Reply 6
nooo. i was just making a general point that certain people arent into it.
The biggest society in the university is the christian union - not to make massive generalisations but a majority of these people are teetotal. The islamic society is also big. Not that I'm saying only the religious people here don't drink, just making a point that it's not at all uncommon. The uni has won recognition for it's pledge to host more events in freshers week not related to drinking than events that are. For every pub crawl there's a coffee crawl - a great opportunity to meet like-minded individuals. Admittedly some societies have a lot of, shall we say, nights out, (rugby and water polo immediately spring to mind!) but noone's going to look down on you if you go and drink coke all night. I used to know someone who said they took antihistamines to anyone hassling them to drink as an excuse. hope that helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending