The Student Room Group

Is a Mathematics degree not very useful for a finance career?

Someone with a Mathematics degree from Manchester told me that it took them months to find a job after graduating. They said that it would be better to do something more related like Economics, Accounting, and/or Finance. But I was under the impression that Mathematics was the best degree to do, followed closely by Economics. I was told that a Mathematics graduate is considered clever but they do not necessarily know much about the area of employment they wish to go into (because the degree doesn't teach this).
Reply 1
It's one person, lots of maths grads stroll into decent jobs. Just do what you will do best in, you'll enjoy yourself and get a good degree.
Reply 2
I was once told by a Maths teacher (biased opinion, I know) that a Maths degree is much more versatile than a Finance degree because it gives you more flexibility and choice since you can pursue not only a career in finance but you can go into research or many things that require you to have good numerical, problem solving and analytical skills and I also think (may be wrong here) that its more respected by employers because its a rigourous and intellectual academic discipline. Besides, you dont even need a degree in Accounting to become an Accountant. I dont know about Economics, it may be better though... Do you want to go into a finance related career?
i was told by a dude that does recruitment for a "year out in industry," for finance industries, that it is better to have a maths degree and a little relevant training than a finance degree when going into the fiance sector!

so it seems you may have to do some extra training but it pays off!
I did Mathematics at Manchester University. I came out with a 2:1 in the July, applied to a big 4 accountancy firm in the August and was working at said big 4 firm by October. A lot of my friends off my course also work for big 4 accountancy firms and they started the summer after they graduated. Some people who didn’t apply for jobs till after they graduated didn’t get jobs for a while but that is because ideally you should be applying for jobs when you are in your final year. (I didn't apply till after I graduated as I was only expecting a 2:2 but luckily my work paid off and I got the 2:1 and then applied for jobs).
I heard (and hoping) the opposite! I hope to do Financial Maths at LSE for a Masters so I guess this is probably quite useful for going into Finance!

Latest