The Student Room Group

Should I do a 5th AS Level?

Basically, I'm going to be taking Biology, Chemisty, Maths and Latin A-Levels (pretty definitely anyway)
Do you think its worth doing an extra AS Level as well?
If I did it would be either further maths or physics (but I don't really like physics so probably further maths..)
[Oh I'll be doing general studies as well, but I know that doesn't count at all]

I don't know whether it would be more useful just spending my time doing other extra-curricular/work experience stuff..?
I think you have a good range of subjects there, in my opinion you need not worry about taking a fifth subject, unless you are really keen to do so. I feel it would be better to concentrate on getting A grades in your four main subjects rather than go for the fifth and possibly drop a grade. With regards to work experience, yes I would advise you to do that rather than a fifth subject. Don't forget that most offers are AAA, so by the time you are in your A2 year you will be expected to be taking just 3 A levels. Hope this helps =).

Edit - that said, Further Maths is a shorter course, am I correct? In my school it is only six lessons a fortnight as opposed to nine. Nevertheless, if I was in your position I would concentrate on the four you have chosen =).
Reply 2
Are you doing it because you want to?

Or, for the sake of doing it?
Reply 3
Really I did 4 and that was more than enough. 5 with general studies might be a bit much. Seriously i know, its better to concentrate on getting good marks, rather than having loads of C grades at A level. Especially with General studies you may find they pile up on you at the end of the year.
Reply 4
Most universitites i'm looking at accept 3, so i didn't bother doing more than 4. However, those doing sciences or brainboxes (pah not me) need to do more :smile:
Reply 5
don't do it for the sake of thinking an extra AS will increase the chances of getting in. only do it if you're genuinely interested in the subject. also be aware that further maths will not be acknowledged as they only consider maths or further maths and not both. a 5th AS will demonstrate greater academic ability especially if you pull of all A's - an impressive feat. but my advice would be to just stick with 4, as you're more likely to get 4 As than 5...and your workload will be less spread out with 4 as you will have more time (and you'll have more time doing extra curric, work exp, voluntary work which are important).
I reckon an extra AS level is not going to get you into med school easier, so unless you personally really want to do FM or Physics, then don't.
Most med schools would rather see a wider range of extra-curricular/voluntary stuff instead of a fifth AS. Besides, you'll probably enjoy doing that more, plus get better grades overall.
Reply 8
AlexanderGPM

I think you have a good range of subjects there, in my opinion you need not worry about taking a fifth subject, unless you are really keen to do so. I feel it would be better to concentrate on getting A grades in your four main subjects rather than go for the fifth and possibly drop a grade. With regards to work experience, yes I would advise you to do that rather than a fifth subject. Don't forget that most offers are AAA, so by the time you are in your A2 year you will be expected to be taking just 3 A levels. Hope this helps =).

Edit - that said, Further Maths is a shorter course, am I correct? In my school it is only six lessons a fortnight as opposed to nine. Nevertheless, if I was in your position I would concentrate on the four you have chosen =).

So, will it look bad if you are doing 4 A2s?

I want to do 4 cus I enjoy them.
Reply 9
No, 4 A2s won't look bad at all. I did a 5th AS-level in my A2 year, but admittedly I only just managed it. Further maths or physics is a lot of extra hard work. What about critical thinking? I found that helped when taking the UKCAT and BMAT. Explore your options.
modini
So, will it look bad if you are doing 4 A2s?

I want to do 4 cus I enjoy them.

Of course it won't look bad but neither will it help your application to be honest. Do them if you enjoy it, but I think it would be wise to concentrate on getting the A grades in three modules rather than spreading your work across four modules and perhaps not getting enough A grades. If you enjoy them, do it. However, bear in mind it will be a lot of work =).

Latest

Trending

Trending