The Student Room Group

OCR A2 history coursework (Independent investigation)

How hard did you find it? And what grade/band did you get?

How many sources/what type of sources did you use, and also, what was your title?
I'm just curious. I did:

"To save half a million lives"; to what extent is this the true reason Truman dropped the atomic bomb?

And I got band I in the end. :smile:

Hardest fugging coursework ever!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol, it was bloody hard, I wonder if other exam boards had easier coursework! The thing is we wont know our results until results day lool!
My question was '‘The years 1547 to 1558 can be considered as a mid-Tudor crisis’
- To what extent is this statement justified?' and I had 17 sources in my bibliography! Haha! I'm dreading this result. Just because I have been working on my History coursework since June last year. And I know it was darn good! OCR are a bit funny with giving out As and Bs apparently, which isn't reassuring....
Reply 3
Ryanhickman90
My question was '‘The years 1547 to 1558 can be considered as a mid-Tudor crisis’
- To what extent is this statement justified?' and I had 17 sources in my bibliography! Haha! I'm dreading this result. Just because I have been working on my History coursework since June last year. And I know it was darn good! OCR are a bit funny with giving out As and Bs apparently, which isn't reassuring....

Our teacher showed us a pretty bad one that got a C so don't give up hope yet lol, did your teacher give you a rough grade, or did they say you had to wait till ocr marks it?
Reply 4
student_s
Our teacher showed us a pretty bad one that got a C so don't give up hope yet lol, did your teacher give you a rough grade, or did they say you had to wait till ocr marks it?

But my teacher told us of this girl last year who got As in all her history exams and her coursework was A grade standard and got given a D...
I really hope I've done well enough in my other modules to make up a bad coursework grade that I know I'm going to get.
p.s. if I've worried anyone in the process of being worried myself... I'm really sorry!!
Reply 5
yeah.. me too!

With 263 points at AS, and a lowish A on the synoptic, what would I need over the other 2 papers for an A? (forgotten all my alevel maths already...)
Reply 6
kitkat90
yeah.. me too!

With 263 points at AS, and a lowish A on the synoptic, what would I need over the other 2 papers for an A? (forgotten all my alevel maths already...)

you're 23 marks over an A at AS you need 480 altogether for an A! It depends really on how much the synoptic is worth percentage wise though. I can't remember is it worth the most? If so and you definately have an A then maybe you can get B's and possibly even a C to get an A overall, but i'm not too sure!!
Reply 7
lvindy
I really hope I've done well enough in my other modules to make up a bad coursework grade that I know I'm going to get.
p.s. if I've worried anyone in the process of being worried myself... I'm really sorry!!

yeah you've scared the crap out of me now lol, but still maybe the girl should have got her coursework remarked, either that, or the girl must have done something wrong, like not use an adequate amount of sources. Don't worry though I know exactly how you feel about the coursework, I know I did badly in it and I think i've done badly in the modules too, that coursework was pure hell lol!! Hopefully we did well though, I guess we wont know till results!! Good luck!!
Reply 8
student_s
yeah you've scared the crap out of me now lol, but still maybe the girl should have got her coursework remarked, either that, or the girl must have done something wrong, like not use an adequate amount of sources. Don't worry though I know exactly how you feel about the coursework, I know I did badly in it and I think i've done badly in the modules too, that coursework was pure hell lol!! Hopefully we did well though, I guess we wont know till results!! Good luck!!

Thanks same to you too! The problem with waiting is that I steadily think of more and more things I haven't done and not remember what I actually done! I can't believe it's so close now!!
student_s

Our teachers were really good, they helped us through the whole redrafting process and marked a ton of drafts! He said that he didn't want to predict what grade I'd get, just because he's been so wrong in the past, but he said he wasn't worried about it. Still, I AM worried about it!!
Reply 10
Ryanhickman90
Our teachers were really good, they helped us through the whole redrafting process and marked a ton of drafts! He said that he didn't want to predict what grade I'd get, just because he's been so wrong in the past, but he said he wasn't worried about it. Still, I AM worried about it!!

I'm sure you've done fine, pre-exam nerves, im having them too! I've just finished AS so i've just started my research for my investigation.

apparently you have to evaluate a handful of different sources and interpretations and come to a nicely balanced answer.

my question atm is 'How far does Napoleon deserve his reputation as a military genius', apparently thats too broad of a question though.

i see your from Saltaire, i study just down the road from there!

good luck with your results
T kay
I'm sure you've done fine, pre-exam nerves, im having them too! I've just finished AS so i've just started my research for my investigation.

apparently you have to evaluate a handful of different sources and interpretations and come to a nicely balanced answer.

my question atm is 'How far does Napoleon deserve his reputation as a military genius', apparently thats too broad of a question though.

i see your from Saltaire, i study just down the road from there!

good luck with your results

Yeah, I looked at 17 sources for my coursework! If you go on the OCR website and look at the examiners report there's loads of info and advice about questions - what's suitable and stuff.
Oh really! Aha! Where abouts are you studying?
kitkat90
yeah.. me too!

With 263 + a low A for the synoptic - lets say 95/120 - that = 358/600.

So, before even sitting the other papers, you've got a high grade D, and need 2 marks for a C.

Therefore, to get an A overall you need a further 122 from the other two papers, which are both worth 90 marks.

122/2 = 61. So if you achieved 61 - a high C -on both papers you would come out with 480/600 - which is exactly an A.

263 + 95 + 61 + 61 = 480.

I don't understand how you already know that you have a low A on the synoptic though? And did you not do coursework?
Reply 13
Ha! I just kinda thought (optimistically) that the synoptic would've been OK!! :P am v. worried about both the cw and the historiography paper... but I should fingers crossed get a C over both..
Reply 14
Ryanhickman90
Yeah, I looked at 17 sources for my coursework! If you go on the OCR website and look at the examiners report there's loads of info and advice about questions - what's suitable and stuff.
Oh really! Aha! Where abouts are you studying?

checked your profile, i see your from beckfoot, lol.. im at *******, just down the road
T kay
checked your profile, i see your from beckfoot, lol.. im at nab wood, just down the road

Aaahh! That's ace! Small world!
xx
Reply 16
Ryanhickman90
Aaahh! That's ace! Small world!
xx

lol, it is. good luck with results
T kay
lol, it is. good luck with results

Yeah, you too! Do you know Tanzila and Adila by any chance?
Reply 18
Ryanhickman90
Yeah, you too! Do you know Tanzila and Adila by any chance?

lol i know tanzeela , she used to come to my school. how do u know her?
T kay
lol i know tanzeela , she used to come to my school. how do u know her?

Yeah, she left to go to Challenge, or was it Hanson? I used to work with her at Jimmy G's!

Quick Reply

Latest