The Student Room Group

Transferring

Hi,

I am asking this question on behalf of my younger brother. He just finished his second year at a US university. He is on a 4 year bachelor's program. He wants to transfer to a UK or Scottish University for the last 1 or 2 years.

I am completely new to the UK system so I don't know how it works with transferring between universities. Does he have to contact the universities directly or go through UCAS? Do you think there will be enough time for him to transfer for the fall semester or is it too late now?

Thank you for your answers.
Reply 1
armoran
Hi,

I am asking this question on behalf of my younger brother. He just finished his second year at a US university. He is on a 4 year bachelor's program. He wants to transfer to a UK or Scottish University for the last 1 or 2 years.

Scotland is in the UK :p:

I would contact the university he's interested in, first to see if there's a possilbity to transfer. They will give him further advice which may involved going though UCAS.

I don't think he would be able to transfer in time for the Autumn but I'm unsure. Again, best to contact the university he's looking to apply to. If it is possible spaces will be limited.
Reply 2
Thank you for your answer. Any other advice about my brother's case?
Reply 3
To phone the university first and ask if there is any space on the course and how he would go about transferring. Are there any specific unis he's looking at?
Reply 4
Have you got a british Council office anywhere near you - they might be able to help with some general advice about how feasible it is. This is something your brother would need to clarify with the universities but the biggest problem, I can see is that, I doubt he'd be able to transfer into the last 1 or 2 years. I think he's looking at starting second year at best because none of the general education requirements he's fulfilled in the US system will be relevant in the UK - it will be a case of trying to match the classes he's taken in his major onto the classes a UK student would have taken. Like I say though it will be a complicated question that only the universities themselves could really rule on.

Latest

Trending

Trending