The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1
i dont know but i would deffinately recommend you get them as the start of the uni term is the time when there are the most cases of measles (its to do with the move in populations and stuff) and it is those who have not had their MMR that get the disease
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
They'll be nothing to enforce it, but it's probably a good idea.
Reply 3
You'll die if you don't get them.

Or not.
I've not had my MMR top up...
When you register with the GP at the University (assuming you do) they'll want to know what you're vacinated against. And if you're not for those they'll probably persuade you. First years and university students in general are apparently at high risk of Meningitis and measles (poor living conditions or something) so it's a good idea to be vacinated to help prevent catching them.
Yes, when you register with the GP, you'll probably get a letter asking you if you'd like to receive polio, MenC etc.

I never did get my polio jab.. I should like into that.

You'll end up desperately wanting the MenC jab with all those terrifying posters that are in *every* common room in halls... And, it's free!
PS. MenC could put a little bit of a downer on your first year at university...
Reply 8
sharkytt
I read in the pre-arrival guide that as an international student I am strongly advised to ensure that I am vaccinated against Meningitis C and MMR. Are these inoculations obligatory or just recommended.

Wouldn't you already have these (plus many other) vaccinations from your school days? If not then you certainly should get them... along with all of the other recommended vaccinations. Nothing is worse than being sick when you are away from home and have a pile of reading/essays/work staring at you that you have to complete.
Reply 9
I do not have only the Men C , but I am not sure that I can prove that I have the others :smile:
If I remember correctly, you don't have to prove it. Just tick the box saying you've got one on the form they give out to fill when you register in the uni health centre.

Latest

Trending

Trending