The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1
You really do need to do this soon, most people applied a couple of weeks ago.
None of the colleges is "the most academic". They all have the same mix of students of all abilities, backgrounds and on all courses.
But people will tell you that the quietest college is Cartmel. Yes, it is quiet, especially in the daytime, because it is on South West and people go up onto campus for lectures, and stay there all day. So there are very few people around college from 9 til 5. Whereas the campus colleges, esp Bowland, have people passing through all day long.
Cartmel bar is also quiet and not much used. Again, those who like to go out a lot go off campus or to other bars for their socializing.
Cartmel is not as quiet and boring as people from other colleges say, but as a person who likes peace and quiet, and my sleep, I have been extremely happy there for two years.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
mike89
I need to choose my college and accomodation soon. I have been reading through the guide sent by the university. I want to know which is the most academic and quitest college in people's opinion?
Cartmel certainly has the stigma of being the quiet College on campus although that does not mean that there aren't socials and other activities being held on a weekly basis. With regards to which is the most academic, you'll probably find that Colleges are a real blend of academic, cultural and religious backgrounds, so there really isn't any "right" choice in that respect.

Good luck choosing :smile:
Reply 3
you can also choose to live in 'qiuet blocks'
Reply 4
well i guess grad is the most academic college, but as an undergrad thats out the question.
It doesnt matter on the college, it matters on who you live with. I know rowdy people and quiet people from most colleges, you might get really lucky in quiet people who work a lot, or you might be unlucky in loud people.
Cartmel is known as the quietest, and around the area it is quiet but i know of a few flats that "raise the roof" pretty often, so just go with whichever feels best and which ever appeals to you most! :smile:
Reply 5
where do graduates usually live?
mike89
where do graduates usually live?

Graduate have their own College, which is located down in South West Campus next to Lonsdale and Cartmel College. Graduate is not for undergraduate students though only postgraduate.
Reply 7
I suggest Lonsdale, it has a great bar and great accomodation
Though if you don't like walking to lectures, you may be better off with anything else (apart from Cartmel - the majority of which is further from central campus :smile:)
You might not be part of the college but that's not to say you won't be situated there. There's been a severe lack of rooms recently, last year a lot of first years ended up off campus or in other college's accomodation. To be honest, you can never really be sure until they tell you.
Reply 9
the fiasco last year was due to a screw up on behalf of people knocking down old accomodation before the new buildings were up [grizdale effectivly had none of its own buildings!]

if you wish to be closer to your lectures avoid the south end of campus, as you will have to walk more..

most lecturs are either in Bowland/County south area, or in the Grizdale/Pendal with a scattering in between, [Furness of Fylde]

Latest

Trending

Trending