The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sam Rawlings
Depends on what you were choosing to study; i'd personally choose Southampton and Bristol as they are both excellent for my subject.

What subject be this?
AnonymousPenguin
I am pretty set on applying to Oxford and Newcastle. However, for the other two possibilities I am at a total loss how to decide. I have to decide reasonably soon, because I'll be absent for the larger part of September. Anyway, one thing I am not worrying about are my chances to get in. In fact, it's probably better if its harder to get in. If I am not admitted, I have a pretty certain spot in my country.

Anyway, which two would you pick of (and why if possible):
Aberdeen
Dundee
Bristol
Leeds
Southampton
Sheffield
Manchester (heard a few horror stories though)
Barts and the London (same as Manchester)

Thank you.
Do you want large or small city? PBL or traditional? What are you're A-level predictions? Just to get us started
Sarky
What subject be this?

Psychology.
Reply 23
Sam Rawlings
Psychology.

That doesn't reflect on how good they are at medicine or psychiatry though does it? They're seperate academic departments. :confused:
Sarky
That doesn't reflect on how good they are at medicine or psychiatry though does it? They're seperate academic departments. :confused:

I know that but at first i didn't see where abouts he/she had mentioned that they wanted to study medicine or psychiatry then i said 'for me personally'...
crazyhelicopter
Do you want large or small city? PBL or traditional? What are you're A-level predictions? Just to get us started

Doing the IB - sufficiently high predictons. Cities are all fine. However, I'd rather steer clear of PBL.
Reply 26
Fair enough, if you don't like PBL then you won't much like Barts. It makes up two days a week of work and all our preclinical exams are based around them.
AnonymousPenguin
Doing the IB - sufficiently high predictons. Cities are all fine. However, I'd rather steer clear of PBL.

I thought Newcastle was PBL (ish)...or maybe my friend there lies...he's mean.
AnonymousPenguin
Well that changes things, the following universities on you're list do PBL:

Barts and the London
Newcastle
Aberdeen to a lesser extent
Dundee
Bristol
Leeds do for one module
Manchester

Leaving you with
Oxbridge
Southampton
Sheffield

Granted those places offering PBL do so to a varying degree. Also I should point out this info was from a quick google search- so do double check before making your final choices
Aberdeen and Dundee
Reply 30
AFAIK, when I went to the Newcastle open day (for 2008 entry admittedly, but it was this year), it's not PBL, its a 'clinical case led integrated approach'. Or something along those lines :smile: Leicester isn't PBL either, so it may be worth considering.
Reply 31
Bristol isn't PBL
Alex D
AFAIK, when I went to the Newcastle open day (for 2008 entry admittedly, but it was this year), it's not PBL, its a 'clinical case led integrated approach'. Or something along those lines :smile: Leicester isn't PBL either, so it may be worth considering.

"Clinical case led" learning sounds suspiciously like PBL to me...
Reply 33
AnonymousPenguin
I am pretty set on applying to Oxford and Newcastle. However, for the other two possibilities I am at a total loss how to decide. I have to decide reasonably soon, because I'll be absent for the larger part of September. Anyway, one thing I am not worrying about are my chances to get in. In fact, it's probably better if its harder to get in. If I am not admitted, I have a pretty certain spot in my country.

Anyway, which two would you pick of (and why if possible):
Aberdeen
Dundee
Bristol
Leeds
Southampton
Sheffield
Manchester (heard a few horror stories though)
Barts and the London (same as Manchester)

Thank you.

i see liverpool and peninsula aren't on the list ¬¬
if you wanna be pretty sure you get a place anywhere, i'd recommend them. people properly underestimate them.. at the end of the day everyone comes out with the same degree and everyone will get a job, so study in bristol or liverpool.. you should be more concerned with what style of teaching is done rather than the best place to go - i made that mistake, i was lucky i'd got in somewhere tho.
Reply 34
AnonymousPenguin

manchesters also pbl.
Reply 35
AnonymousPenguin
Got a spot in my home country for insurance :wink: .

ah fair enough. i haven't read the rest of the thread so maybe you've mentioned it already.. apologies!
Reply 36
becca2389

Not certain on this, but I think it is actually quite a bit different.... Its the same as in they have a scenario forming the basis of each week (e.g. cystic fibrosis), but I get the impression that theres is MUCH more lecture based and much less SDL.

(This is from the depths of my memory from when I was deciding where to go, maybe someone has more up to date info?????)
Reply 37
becca2389

It does, but it's not PBL. As far as I can remember Newcastle have one block of PBL in the third year. Aside from that it's lectures where what your being lectured on is linked to a patient with the pathology your learning. Basically taking the useful parts of PBL and applying it :wink:! Apart from that, I can recommend Leeds, I live near there and it's a great city. Southampton seems good as well. If I were you, I'd give Leicester a try as well, admittedly the medical school looks **** but Leicester is renowned for great teaching (although I think all UK medical schools give world class teaching). The city is also undergoing a 3 billion pound regeneration and the shopping centre thats opening in September looks mint. I can already pinpoint where my student loans going :biggrin:/:frown: (I went for the hybrid smilies there to represent my happiness and then my realisation that the **** has hit the fan when I'm penniless)
Reply 38
oh and another thought, when you narrow them down a little bit more, why not actually go and visit some of them? I know that despite loving southampton on paper (and hearing great things about it from other people who had been there), I personally really didn't take to the place
No Future
Aberdeen MAYBE
Dundee YES
Bristol NO - too many applicants
Leeds YES
Southampton MAYBE
Sheffield YES
Manchester (heard a few horror stories though) DUNNO
Barts and the London (same as Manchester) NO

FYI, to negger - erm, I didn't ''slag off'' Barts, I just thought it was a no..like Bristol and other places. :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending