The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Seeing as nobody's replied yet, I'll try and give you a few pointers.

Firstly on the times good university guide Leeds is 22nd and Sussex 24th for mechanical engineering, so going by that it might be best for you to visit both and see which one you get a gut feeling for.

But a word of warning about MSc's - I've looked at a lot of these recently for my own course and you need to be careful about what it will actually offer. For me studying chemistry, there are MSc's in chemical engineering which accept chemists, but having researched a lot of companies only a undergraduate degree in chemical engineering will suffice for chemical engineering posts.

It seems that the main point of MSc's is either to advance your knowledge in a very specific area related to your first degree or as a refresher course for someone who's been out of their subject for a while.

Looking at the Leeds course I notice they accept people from physical sciences to study it, but if you want a job in the automotive industry I would only recommend it if you've already got a BA in general/mechanical/electrical engineering.
Reply 2
thanks a lot for the info provided...
I have done my B.Tech in Mechanical Engg and it is the automotive sector that i am looking at for a job....so i guess the MSc course is the right option...

I have searched a lot on the internet and on forums but havent found anything conclusive as to which out of the 2 are better....:smile:

So which one is it then according to you....Leeds or Sussex
Reply 3
Well I really don't have a clue, I can only quote league table statistics, so Leeds beats Sussex in MechEng, and is also higher overall (31 vs 38). A lot of people on here don't like league tables though, and particularly when they're so closely matched it would be better to base your decision on other factors such as location, costs, size etc.

Anyway it's only for a one year long course so don't fret too much about it, as both universities are good.
Reply 4
Going by what i've seen when my university has competed against both of those universities in a student build and run competition, they've been trounced.

If you can, apply to hertfordshire, far FAR better.

Latest

Trending

Trending