The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pepe Le Poosh
Also, Imperial isn't a UoL College. And as far as i'm aware it was AAA already?

Yeah, it's been AAAb for some years now.
AEH
All the University of London schools (Barts, Georges, GKT, Imperial and RFUCMS) are going up to AAA this year because there's a lot more people than there are interview spots and they need to cut people out somehow.
And they choose the method which has failed for the past god knows how many years.
Reply 22
falastini...
Why have the entry requirments CHANGED?
To keep you out.
Reply 23
Saffie
Not really fair is it. Good luck.

How exactly isn't it fair? If you get AAA you get in. It's the same for everyone applying that year, seems fair to me. If you're suggesting that it's not fair because of previous years requiring only AAB/ABB, they could equally say it wasn't fair decades ago where CCC would get you into medical school and you could apply to as many different places as you like.

A neurosurgeon I shadowed only got 3 C's at A-level and studied at Barts, but at the same time decades ago when he graduated there were far fewer students leaving school with AAA/AAB/ABB. Regardless of whether A-levels have become easier or not, grade inflation is definitely occurring across the board in the UK (GCSE, A-level and degree) and therefore universities have little choice but to take this into account when setting academic requirement thresholds.
Not everyone who gets AAA gets in though.
Reply 25
Iscariot
How exactly isn't it fair? If you get AAA you get in. It's the same for everyone applying that year, seems fair to me. If you're suggesting that it's not fair because of previous years requiring only AAB/ABB, they could equally say it wasn't fair decades ago where CCC would get you into medical school and you could apply to as many different places as you like.

A neurosurgeon I shadowed only got 3 C's at A-level and studied at Barts, but at the same time decades ago when he graduated there were far fewer students leaving school with AAA/AAB/ABB. Regardless of whether A-levels have become easier or not, grade inflation is definitely occurring across the board in the UK (GCSE, A-level and degree) and therefore universities have little choice but to take this into account when setting academic requirement thresholds.
Indeed. There are people at my med school who needed ABB, people who needed AAB and soon people who'll need AAA, all for the same course. A Levels aren't changing that rapidly. So it isn't fair. Medical schools can get away with it though and I can see why they're doing it as a sieve method, but from an applicants POV, it's not fair.

To get AAA, the applicant will probably have to sacrifice time when they could be doing work experience and extracurriculars and generally living a life. It also really favours people who find it easier to get the grades cause they're at private schools and well taught.
Reply 26
Saffie
To get AAA, the applicant will probably have to sacrifice time when they could be doing work experience and extracurriculars and generally living a life. It also really favours people who find it easier to get the grades cause they're at private schools and well taught.
I agree, this is only going to get us even more of the **** students.
Reply 27
I do agree with Saffie and Penguin, it isn't fair and it isn't ultimately going to improve the quality the student, just stating the given reason. Obviously given my grades I'm slightly biased, but I really don't think they would. You certainly can't pick out any difference in grades in my year (Which has a range of entry grades achieved down to ABB) either in clinical skills or written paper exams. It is just a cheap and easy tool for admissions offices which is easily justifiable to external authorities.
Reply 28
101 Cynicism
At this point, does it matter?
Work hard, you can do it. Believe me.

My Centiments exactly. A little bit of perseverance goes a long way!

As for the OP, you might as well apprehend the fact that grade inflation is becoming evermore present and now medical schools need some way of differenciating their prospective students.
Reply 29
tomster
My Centiments exactly. A little bit of perseverance goes a long way!

You haven't done your A2s yet. :rolleyes:

A Levels are pretty hard. I didn't get AAA and I don't think I could've without cancelling the part time job, cancelling world challenge trip which the job was for, cancelling weekly work experience, cancelling driving lessons, cancelling any sort of social life. And perhaps dropping my forth A2 and getting a chemistry tutor!!
Reply 30
Saffie
You haven't done your A2s yet. :rolleyes:

A Levels are pretty hard. I didn't get AAA and I don't think I could've without cancelling the part time job, cancelling world challenge trip which the job was for, cancelling weekly work experience, cancelling driving lessons, cancelling any sort of social life. And perhaps dropping my forth A2 and getting a chemistry tutor!!

I should have rephrased it to: A little bit of perseverence means bugger-all at A-level!

(By the way - i'm just starting my A-levels!)

But I can totally see where you are coming from, A2 is going to be exceedingly hard for myself. Hell i've even contemplated on having a tutor now to teach me AS Biology and Chemistry just to guarantee I don't get behind on the subjects.
Reply 31
I know quite a few people at uni who had tutors actually. I could've done with one just to look through my chemistry coursework... which got moderated from an A down to a C.
Reply 32
tomster
I should have rephrased it to: A little bit of perseverence means bugger-all at A-level!

(By the way - i'm just starting my A-levels!)

But I can totally see where you are coming from, A2 is going to be exceedingly hard for myself. Hell i've even contemplated on having a tutor now to teach me AS Biology and Chemistry just to guarantee I don't get behind on the subjects.

you really dont need a tutor just make sure that when you A Levels start in september you start learning, dont make the same mistake i did at the start of the year and become overwhlemed with the ammount of freedom you get as a 6th former, (ps i screwed up my january exams and im hoping that june wasnt too late to sort out the errors in my ways.)
Reply 33
jjkkll
you really dont need a tutor just make sure that when you A Levels start in september you start learning, dont make the same mistake i did at the start of the year and become overwhlemed with the ammount of freedom you get as a 6th former, (ps i screwed up my january exams and im hoping that june wasnt too late to sort out the errors in my ways.)

I've had to self-teach myself for a large proportion of this year, because my school laid little faith in my talent. Also the fact I re-did my GCSEs whilst only attending school on a part-time basis. Finally, I only took a single GCSE science, which doesn't cover a large quantity of the additonal module so i'm currently self-teaching both the Chemistry and Biology modules; which is going brilliantly.

These factors are an assurance to myself that I've already worked hard this year and that I've completed one of the three most important years of my life. I literally tell myself: "You've worked hard, why stop now?"
Renal
To keep you out.

ROFL :biggrin:

I wonder if pms's boundries will rise at all
Saffie
It also really favours people who find it easier to get the grades cause they're at private schools and well taught.

I agree that some factors e.g. difficult home life, bad teaching etc may make it more difficult for some to get the grades.

However, it is ultimately the efforts of the individual pupil as to whether they make the grades. A good school doesn't guarantee good grades.
martin101
The C in chemistry is bad news. Most med schools require chemistry and all of my offers stated I must get an A in chemistry + any 2 others so its one they really do like. Probably not insurmountable, just be aware of this.

Yes, I think that is quite true.

However, for the benefit of those still doing A Levels may I point out that a low grade e.g in chemistry AS is not a bar to getting into med school. I got a c (albeit a high c) in chem as and resat everything to get a (very high!) A at A2. It is possible.
No Future
Yes, I think that is quite true.

However, for the benefit of those still doing A Levels may I point out that a low grade e.g in chemistry AS is not a bar to getting into med school. I got a c (albeit a high c) in chem as and resat everything to get a (very high!) A at A2. It is possible.

Best advice so far...:yep:
Reply 38
yeah I don't really like this change either - I hardly started med school that long ago and we had ABB offers. Like Saffie says allows more rounded people to get in I think
Although, I spose you could take the poitn of view that if you can't cope with having a life and getting 3As at Alevel, you are not going to be able to have a life and pass all your medicine exams?? I personally wouldn't say that getting 3As at Alevel was any harder than just passing at uni
No Future
I agree that some factors e.g. difficult home life, bad teaching etc may make it more difficult for some to get the grades.

However, it is ultimately the efforts of the individual pupil as to whether they make the grades. A good school doesn't guarantee good grades.

Not sure that's true. I know a lot of very clever people in my school who won't get AAA because of the school. It may not guarentee the grades but it helps a ridiculous amount.

Latest

Trending

Trending