The Student Room Group

Cambridge Maths Application

Hello; sorry if I have missed another forum or message board that asks the same question, I have searched the website but to no avail. So here goes.

I am about to go into Year 12 and I am considering the application to Cambridge to do Mathematics. I am going to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry + Latin, plus AEA Maths and Physics, STEP I, an Open University Module, whilst also entering the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge. This sounds crazy, but I am not sure about my GCSE results (I already have 2 A*s, Maths and 1 Double Science, taken in Year 10, but my love for mathematics proved a MASSIVE distraction), so I hope that by acquiring these qualifications, obviously at a high standard, I can hopefully stand a better chance of getting into the uni.

However, I am unsure about three things:

1. If I do STEP I in Yr. 12, can I still do STEP II & III as part of a possible offer, considering that Cambridge states that you are only permitted to do TWO STEP papers?
2. What extra clubs or societies can I join that will be attractive or favourable, whilst being appropriate, on my CV?
3. Also, do all of the colleges that provide mathematics have roughly the same standard of teaching within them, or are there 'massive' gaps in quality (e.g. Trinity College - the best, <insert college> - slightly less)?

Sorry for the essay (I am not a fan of abbreviations - you should see my text messages :smile: ). I also apologise if I have been selfish at all, I was just curious about these three points.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First off I would like to say wait until you receive GCSE results before you read too much into anything!

Ze_Rebel_Mole
1. If I do STEP I in Yr. 12, can I still do STEP II & III as part of a possible offer, considering that Cambridge states that you are only permitted to do TWO STEP papers?

You can do STEP I at the end of Year 12 if you wish to. However your offer would be set based upon STEPs II and III; and if you have a poor performance in STEP I they would probably be asking you at interview why.

Ze_Rebel_Mole
2. What extra clubs or societies can I join that will be attractive or favourable, whilst being appropriate, on my CV?

In terms of appropriate for Cambridge, they are only interested in those that would be relavent to showing that you have an extensive interest in mathematics!

Ze_Rebel_Mole
3. Also, do all of the colleges that provide mathematics have roughly the same standard of teaching within them, or are there 'massive' gaps in quality (e.g. Trinity College - the best, <insert college> - slightly less)?

The lectures are provided by the department so everybody gets them. Supervisions are organised by your college, however the standard is more similar between colleges than is worth being bothered about :smile:

Good Luck

I think Cambridge don't care about this, espically for a math student.

Teaching or do you mean tutoring? Don't everbody have the same lectures?
1. If I do STEP I in Yr. 12, can I still do STEP II & III as part of a possible offer

Calm down geek, go outside and have fun. Don't worry about doing STEP 1, don't do it. If you really want to learn C3, C4, M2 and M3 in year 12, then you must be crazy.
obviously at a high standard, I can hopefully stand a better chance of getting into the uni.

I'm shocked? You really don't need to do that much. You're going to get into Cambridge or Warwick, so don't go crazy. Some people need to calm down. Just do Further maths, mathematics and physics. Then do STEP 1 and 2. Forget math competitions and doing AEA or the open uni module. You really don't need to work that much to get into Cambridge.
Double post
Reply 4
Simplicity
Calm down geek, go outside and have fun. Don't worry about doing STEP 1, don't do it. If you really want to learn C3, C4, M2 and M3 in year 12, then you must be crazy.

I'm shocked? You really don't need to do that much. You're going to get into Cambridge or Warwick, so don't go crazy. Some people need to calm down. Just do Further maths, mathematics and physics. Then do STEP 1 and 2. Forget math competitions and doing AEA or the open uni module. You really don't need to work that much to get into Cambridge.

If Further Maths is taught the way it often is, with A2 Maths in one year and A2 Further Maths the next, he'll be doing C3, C4 and M2 in year 12 anyway.

OP, your plans sound good - but above all make sure that you're really good at maths, especially STEP papers. If you need to drop Latin or the OU module to have STEP practice time, don't hesitate.
Simplicity

Oh, shut up.

Most people doing further maths will do C4 by the end of their first year anyway, and you're perfectly at liberty to ignore stats and mechanics questions on STEP - I did.

I agree with what Andy H said.
Reply 6
generalebriety
Oh, shut up.

:rofl:
Reply 7
OP - I'm in a similar position to you (just finished GCSEs and ideally want to do maths at Cambridge/Warwick) and I'm just basically focusing on learning more maths rather than doing stuff like clubs and societies. I've done 9 A-level modules so far, and I intend to do 2 more before the end of the summer, along with a little STEP practice. That's the kind of attitude that looks good - doing as much maths as possible. Doing AEA maths and STEP I a year early will be favourable on your application. How much A-level maths have you already taken, if any?

Ze_Rebel_Mole
Hello; sorry if I have missed another forum or message board that asks the same question, I have searched the website but to no avail. So here goes.

Hehe, my first ever post on here was very similar to yours, you can read it here, you might get some good advice by reading the replies.
Hello fellow Mathmole,, I wouldnae start worrying about those sort of things too much. Clubs n societies only do if you enjoy them. Background reading you can always do, and plus magazine/nrich are good resources. Already having an A* in maths, and knowing about STEP before the end of year 12 is very good going.

There is a difference with how colleges do, even with the 'same' raw standards of mathematicians and same lectures. Some colleges work you harder, some have more of a maths ethos, some can train you well for the exams, some have supervisors you can relate to better during the first couple of years. Whatever college you at though, it's mostly down to the individual...unsurprisingly. So just apply anywhere but Trinity. It just smells.
oh crumbs, forgot

APPLY TO JOHN'S
Damn; I thought I'd discovered my brother's TSR account then; you sound just like him. XD I've been dying to know it for ages!
Until
you should see my text messages

he doesn't have a phone. haha
Ze_Rebel_Mole

Thanks in advance.

Meh, all colleges have similar teaching. You're unlikely to be taught by a fields medalist if you apply to Homerton, though. But lots of people respond to being taught by a grad student slightly better- after all, a grad student better remembers what being an undergrad was like and being supervised by a professor isn't pleasant if you're not that into their subject (but great if you are). Choose a college based on what you enjoy. Remember though that Trinity will have a much more pressured and competitive atmosphere than, say, Homerton or Girton.

I'd give you the advice to take sixth form a bit easy. Don't go insane with the maths- don't forget to have a life :smile: If you're good enough at maths, you'll in all likelihood get in. Part of the first year experience is getting up to speed with large amounts unfamiliar material quickly- if you've done all the first year maths before, you may cruise through first year, but struggle slightly in second year (people who've done large amounts of maths before Cambridge tend to go down a class in second year, those who haven't tend to go up a class).

Remember, Cambridge maths isn't that hard to get an offer for (in comparison with other subjects)- about 40% of applicants get one, but of these, maybe half fail STEP. You don't need to kill yourself in year 12 with maths (unless you desperately want to). Just have fun in sixth form. They let me in with only C1-4, FP1-3 and M1 and S1.

Good Luck!
Reply 12
Ze_Rebel_Mole
While I wouldn't put it on your CV, using the Maths forum here (f38) is, especially during term time, a good way to learn some useful tricks and know how to avoid common mistakes that many students make.
Reply 13
Kolya
While I wouldn't put it on your CV, using the Maths forum here (f38) is, especially during term time, a good way to learn some useful tricks and know how to avoid common mistakes that many students make.

He's right, y'know. It help you with your STEP preparation, too.
tommm
He's right, y'know. It help you with your STEP preparation, too.

It might even make you coffee when you're tired.
Reply 15
To the OP: You say you did maths GCSE in year 10; pray tell what did you do maths-wise in year 11?

SMC/BMO and STEP are good ideas in my opinion; I did both in year 12 (though STEP II and III, not I). STEP I and II would certainly be doable for you if you work hard and are talented, though I would hold fire on STEP III if you have not already covered quite a bit of A-level work. Getting a 1 in STEP II at the end of year 12 would put you in really good stead, especially if you can blast the SMC/BMO too.

As for AEA? Don't bother :wink: . STEP is much more well-respected - and although harder, if you do well, it will have much more of an impact than AEA. Quite a lot of people do AEA at the end of year 12. Very few do STEP, even STEP I.

Simplicity

*Can't help but giggle slightly* :p: ...
Reply 16
i put TSR on my PS. and nrich. then i had to talk about it at length in my interview. bad times.
Reply 17
Thanks for the replies guys; sorry for the very slow reply, only just read them (KAISER_MOLE :p: fellow maths mole ).

In response to Simba's question, I did FSMQ Add. Maths in Yr. 11, which was simple (involved C1), but no A-Level modules; I have looked at the majority of C2 and a bit of C3 in Maths lessons throughout the year, plus over the holiday I have been ploughing through maths textbooks (C2-4, M1-5, S1-2 + FP1-3) so I have acquired experience
(please note that my school does the AQA Specification).
I intend to start STEP past paper questions soon, to help me persuade the head of the maths department, who is a bit stubborn (he has already contested my idea of doing extra mechanics modules at the choices evening), but he should be a great help, considering that he is a Cambridge graduate himself.

Thanks tommm for the link, I missed that one! :smile: That thread will be a big help.

Thanks for the assistance generally.
Reply 18
tommm
OP - I'm in a similar position to you (just finished GCSEs and ideally want to do maths at Cambridge/Warwick) and I'm just basically focusing on learning more maths rather than doing stuff like clubs and societies. I've done 9 A-level modules so far, and I intend to do 2 more before the end of the summer, along with a little STEP practice.

This thread is making me slightly worried. I'm thinking about doing maths at the moment (I've just done my (I)GCSEs) but since I'm extremely indecisive I haven't properly decided, and am still considering other options eg physics, history, classics. Our school has a policy against people doing a level work before year 12 and so I haven't done a single a level module yet :rolleyes:

Are most applicants to the top universities for maths this advanced - learning all this a level stuff by themselves? Is the fact that I'd much rather spend the post-GCSE summer of freedom going on holiday and seeing my friends (and I reading around science a bit, but nothing too taxing eg fenyman) than self-teaching tons of maths a sign that I'm not the type of person who gets in to cam? It seems like everyone in my year group is scarily dedicated. I'm not sure I'd stand a chance at interview against competiton like this (not because of my ability - I really don't know just how good you have to be to get in so it's foolish to speculate whether I'm good enough before I've even applied). Oh well.
generalebriety
Oh, shut up.

ahahahaha brilliant

Latest

Trending

Trending