Reply 1
what is it xx
Reply 2
malsi101
what is it xx

www.just****inggoogleit.com
Reply 3
Not a very snappy/crammable method I'm afraid... :frown:

But I found in easier to remember the questions once i'd rewritten them in my way by grouping them and subtitling by type/cortical function/brain area tested? Then focussed on memorizing the subsections & score available - & found the specific questions tended to come back to me.

The alternative, even more long term strategy is get Old Age Psych as one of your attachments apparently, after that you can do it in your sleep, I was told (!)
Reply 4
malsi101
what is it xx
"A Mini Mental State Examination is a quick and easy way to assess someone's mental state. Whilst not as thorough as a full mental state examination, it allows a valid assessment in a short time.

1. First, you should explain the process to the patient you are assessing. Say that you are going to be asking them a variety of questions, some of which may seem a bit silly, but that they are to answer them to the best of their ability.

2. Firstly you should assess the patient's orientation in time. For this, ask them to tell you the year, season, date, day and month scoring 1 for each correct answer.

3. Registration is now assessed. This is done by naming three objects and asking the patient to repeat them back to you and remembering them. 1 point is given for each correct answer. After the first attempt repeat the words until the patient learns them. Count the number of times it takes for the patient to learn them.

4. Next attention is checked. There are 2 ways to assess this. Either ask the person to take 7 away from 100 then again from the answer and so on for 5 times. If this poses a problem, ask the patient to spell WORLD backwards. There is a maximum of 5 points available for this task.

5. Recall is assessed by asking the patient to name the three items told to them in step 4.

6. Language is now assessed. Firstly, point to a pencil and a watch and ask the patient to name them, this scores a maximum of 2 marks. Next ask the patient to repeat the saying 'No Ifs Ands or Buts' - 1 mark if done correctly. Next you should hand a piece of paper to the patient and say 'Take this piece of paper in your hand, fold it in half and place it on the floor.' Each stage of this task scores 1 mark if performed correctly giving a maximum of 3. Next, write Close Your Eyes on a piece of paper and show it to the patient and ask them to follow the command. If this is performed they score another mark. Next you should ask the patient to write down any sentence, they score a mark if it is coherent, you are not assessing spelling ability. Finally, you should show them a drawing of two intersecting pentagons like below and ask them to copy the drawing. If this is done successfully they score another point.

7. The total score should be added up and marked out of 30. A score of 23 or below suggests cognitive impairment."

stolen from: http://www.osceskills.com/

No I can't think of an easy(er) way to remember it..
Haha the date one is pretty harsh sometimes you know - I often have no clue. :p:
Reply 6
Saffie
"A Mini Mental State Examination is a quick and easy way to assess someone's mental state. Whilst not as thorough as a full mental state examination, it allows a valid assessment in a short time.

1. First, you should explain the process to the patient you are assessing. Say that you are going to be asking them a variety of questions, some of which may seem a bit silly, but that they are to answer them to the best of their ability.

2. Firstly you should assess the patient's orientation in time. For this, ask them to tell you the year, season, date, day and month scoring 1 for each correct answer.

3. Registration is now assessed. This is done by naming three objects and asking the patient to repeat them back to you and remembering them. 1 point is given for each correct answer. After the first attempt repeat the words until the patient learns them. Count the number of times it takes for the patient to learn them.

4. Next attention is checked. There are 2 ways to assess this. Either ask the person to take 7 away from 100 then again from the answer and so on for 5 times. If this poses a problem, ask the patient to spell WORLD backwards. There is a maximum of 5 points available for this task.

5. Recall is assessed by asking the patient to name the three items told to them in step 4.

6. Language is now assessed. Firstly, point to a pencil and a watch and ask the patient to name them, this scores a maximum of 2 marks. Next ask the patient to repeat the saying 'No Ifs Ands or Buts' - 1 mark if done correctly. Next you should hand a piece of paper to the patient and say 'Take this piece of paper in your hand, fold it in half and place it on the floor.' Each stage of this task scores 1 mark if performed correctly giving a maximum of 3. Next, write Close Your Eyes on a piece of paper and show it to the patient and ask them to follow the command. If this is performed they score another mark. Next you should ask the patient to write down any sentence, they score a mark if it is coherent, you are not assessing spelling ability. Finally, you should show them a drawing of two intersecting pentagons like below and ask them to copy the drawing. If this is done successfully they score another point.

7. The total score should be added up and marked out of 30. A score of 23 or below suggests cognitive impairment."

Ahh Okay thanks- But whats it for? Who needs you to know this? and when and why do you need to know it?:smile:xx
Reply 7
"This examination is not suitable for making a diagnosis but can be used to indicate the presence of cognitive impairment, such as when dementia or head injury are suspected.

* The test takes only about 10 minutes, but is limited because it will not detect subtle memory losses, particularly in well educated patients.3
* People from different cultural groups or low intelligence or education may score poorly on this examination in the absence of cognitive impairment4 and well educated people may score well despite having cognitive impairment.5
* The MMSE provides measures of orientation, registration (immediate memory), short-term memory (but not long-term memory) as well as language functioning.
* The examination has been validated in a number of populations. Scores of 25-30 out of 30 are considered normal, 18-24 indicate mild to moderate impairment, and scores of 17 or less indicate severe impairment."

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000152/

At BL it could come up in OSCEs at the end of 2nd year onwards. at other places, I dunno.
Quickly assessing someone's congnition.
Every doctor and clinical medical student.
So you can quickly assess someone's cognition and whether it's declined, in an (in theory) objective way.
Reply 9
Saffie

Is 5 a trick question? :curious:
Suspect
Is 5 a trick question? :curious:

No. In the time and distraction it takes between the two, those with severe cognitive impairment will have difficulty recalling the three objects. It gives a relatively good indication of functional ability (if they can't remember the three, they're probably in a bad way and can't look after themselves very well. If they can, then you'd be a little less worried about them) (remember, it's pretty much only used on elderly patients).
Reply 11
I almost posted this, until I looked at what item 4 was on the list - they should have said item 3... So I wasn't sure if the answer was the answer or if the poster was pointing out the mistake!
Reply 12
Indeed Suspect, they mean step 3 not 4.

Looks like Spencer Wells got caught out!
Saffie
Indeed Suspect, they mean step 3 not 4.

Looks like Spencer Wells got caught out!

Indeed. I didn't read the info properly, saw "recall" and jumped in.
Reply 14
I thought I'd posted this earlier, but apparently didn't???

Renal - take this: http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000152/ and MMSE Crazy and your housemates to death... That's what I'm gonna do to Mr Fluffy. Not that he knows it yet. Nor does he have much choice... Mwhahahahaaaaa ahahhahahahahhaaa haaaaaaaaaaa, ahem.
Reply 15
Is it ball, car, and man for everyone else? (and you don't need to point out that ball, car and man are actually four words) :tongue:
Sarky
Is it ball, car, and man for everyone else? (and you don't need to point out that ball, car and man are actually four words) :tongue:

I use "apple, ball, chair" (abc) myself. It's on the MMSE pro forma on our gerry wards.
Reply 17
Philosoraptor
Haha the date one is pretty harsh sometimes you know - I often have no clue. :p:

My thoughts exactly. I quite often get confused about what year it is. If any doctor ever asks me for the date I shall just sigh and let them put me down as having dementia. :redface:
But to be fair you'd get the idea that I was lucid through other means too. I'd be able to tell you it was gone midnight, july, etc etc.
Reply 19
Serial 7s. :s

Clealy a few rounds of Catagories and Fizzbuzz would cover it, and be more fun.

Latest

Trending

Trending