The Student Room Group

Ucas application questions

Help! I don't go back to school till September i want to finish my application !

1.) When selecting the qualification it asks you "Subject B" or Subject "A Modular"
I do not remember my specification i am just searching websites like "http://www.dfes.gov.uk" and typing in my course code is this ok?

2.) I can find out whether it is spec A or B but it doesnt tell me if it is modular or non modular , what does modualr mean , does it mean you did the course in different modules?

3.) I did an NVQ level 2 in June 2007 i passed 2 units they failed me on the thrid unit when i should have passed because their was a flood which lost our work. Then in June 2008 i got pass for unit 3 , what dates should i write on my ucas for the whole qualification?

4.) For the course title for the NVQ i can fit in the course name for the whole qualification but for unit 2 theres not enough space so should i write the course/unit codes for everything or just the ones were i cant fit in the name?
Reply 1
Well, firstly there's not much point in finishing before September anyway. You still need to get a reference written by a tutor before you can send it off, but if you really want to get it out of the way:

1 and 2) Try and search for the board that you're on to find out whether it's A or B. Just do a Google search of, for example "AQA English B GCSE" and see if it looks like the course that you did. If in doubt, I don't think you can get penalized for putting the vanilla choices, for example just "English". If you just sat a couple of papers at the end of the year, it's not a modular course. This is just for some newer boards which have separate units for the GCSE and allow you to retake them.

3) I'd write Pass and June 2008, but this is definitely something to check at school/on your certificate.

4) I've gone with unit codes, but I know a lot of people that have been fine just leaving it all blank, or even writing the wrong codes. I can't imagine it's something that admissions tutors would care about and mostly your offers are just based on the final grade.

But raise the issues at school, because you'll get the right advice. Submitting now won't put your application at any real advantage. Best of luck with your application.
mailmerge
Well, firstly there's not much point in finishing before September anyway. You still need to get a reference written by a tutor before you can send it off, but if you really want to get it out of the way:

1 and 2) Try and search for the board that you're on to find out whether it's A or B. Just do a Google search of, for example "AQA English B GCSE" and see if it looks like the course that you did. If in doubt, I don't think you can get penalized for putting the vanilla choices, for example just "English". If you just sat a couple of papers at the end of the year, it's not a modular course. This is just for some newer boards which have separate units for the GCSE and allow you to retake them.

3) I'd write Pass and June 2008, but this is definitely something to check at school/on your certificate.

4) I've gone with unit codes, but I know a lot of people that have been fine just leaving it all blank, or even writing the wrong codes. I can't imagine it's something that admissions tutors would care about and mostly your offers are just based on the final grade.

But raise the issues at school, because you'll get the right advice. Submitting now won't put your application at any real advantage. Best of luck with your application.

Thanks alot !!!!!!

++++Rep given!!!

I think i'll fill it in , then get my form tutor to check it and then the head of year. Thanks
Reply 3
do the universities see everything in the application? including things like your nationality, and whether your parents have a degree?
Reply 4
TSR King
do the universities see everything in the application? including things like your nationality, and whether your parents have a degree?

They see your Personal information, Education, Employment and Statement (ie, not Choices). Your college will also send a reference and some background information about what kind of college it is (in terms of % higher education, etc).

Leave Additional information blank if you're worried. It varies, but from the help buttons,

Nationality:
[INDENT]"Your answer will help to inform research on the provision and take-up of higher education across the population. Please note that this information will not be released to your chosen universities or colleges until after a decision has been made regarding your application."[/INDENT]

Parental Education:
[INDENT]"Universities and colleges may have different policies as to if, when and/or how the information may be used. For example, it could be for statistical monitoring purposes after decisions have been made, or it could be used at the application stage to help to provide a fuller picture of an applicant's background. If you have any concern as to how a university or college may use this data, if indeed they do use it, please see the university or college website or contact the institution for further details."[/INDENT]

I think it's only used for things like reach out programmes, so you might just get some extra letters about financial information for example.

Latest

Trending

Trending