The Student Room Group

Language books help

Well I'm trying to self teach Spanish over the summer, and as suggested in this forum I've bought 'A Spanish Learning Grammar' which is really quite good.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any recommendations for vocabulary books or websites, particularly those that come with a disk or sounds so I can hear the pronunciation, but i suppose it's not essential as Spanish pronunciation seems quite straight forward.

Also, when I get to a good level of Spanish, I'd like to start French. I learnt it Years 7-9, where I really enjoyed it but due to timetabling couldn't carry it on. Has anyone got recommendations of a good grammar book, like 'A Spanish Learning Grammar' that takes it from the most basic things right through to more advanced things, with exercises and answers? cos I can't say I remember that much French tbh.

And also anything to help with vocabulary and pronunciation as I have gathered that French is more complicated than Spanish with this.

Hahaha, I know it looks like I'm asking for a lot, but really I just want three books and have managed to ramble :p:

Reply 1
if you want to build up a good vocabulary skill, I'd recommend you get some spanish songs, learn the lyrics and understand what they say so that when you sing the song you know what you are saying.
my favourite spanish singers are Ska-P, not only they use a wide range of vocabulary but they also sing about spanish culture (e.g. toreros, politics, drug problems, ect)
also manu chao, jarabe de palo, and if you like hip-hop, Orishas. they are a Cuban hip-hop group. :wink:
Well... vocabulary books are difficult things to find, because you can't really have "general" vocabulary, you can only have topic-specific vocabulary. If you're a complete beginner to the language, have a look here, at AQA's Spanish GCSE "student guide". A huge basic vocabulary list complete with translations, ready to be printed out or, if you really want, ordered. :biggrin:

Any decent website will give you Spanish pronunciation sound files. Try googling, or this site, which will probably also be helpful for tricky grammar points too.
Reply 3
Oooh thanks! :smile:

And anything for French grammar, right from basics?
Reply 4
just thought i'd say once you get going with your spanish buy 501 spanish verbs.
its a grammar book which has become my saviour.
you can get it in most other languages too.
x

Latest

Trending

Trending