Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does a pebble beach form?

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently doing a coursework piece and am on a section explain the formation of certain sites. My teacher told us to use examples of areas but to keep the reasoning behind the formation general so it usually would apply to most other sites where they have that feature.

Im currently stuck on trying to explain how pebble beaches are formed. Am I right in thinking they are formed upon shallow land and the pebbles come from eroded materials along the coast which have gone through attrition and then deposited?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    God does it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    can't remember all the terms from my gcse geog days but as i remember the perfect conditions are a flat beach with sort of lapping waves. But don't take my word for it, my geograpy lessons were a subsitute for my bed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    Hi,

I'm currently doing a coursework piece and am on a section explain the formation of certain sites. My teacher told us to use examples of areas but to keep the reasoning behind the formation general so it usually would apply to most other sites where they have that feature.

Im currently stuck on trying to explain how pebble beaches are formed. Am I right in thinking they are formed upon shallow land and the pebbles come from eroded materials along the coast which have gone through attrition and then deposited?
    Beaches composed of pebbles and other larger materials are usually described as intermediate or reflective beaches. They usually have a steep offshore slope and are narrow and steep in relief. Waves are either 'collapsing' or 'surging' in character with a strong swash and weak backwash. Hence larger pebble material is driven onshore under a strong swash and then deposited as the backwash is too weak to remove it. Also, on pebble beaches quite a bit of energy in the backwash will be lost via percolation (usually 33-50%) which further weakens the backwash.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappyHupo)
    Beaches composed of pebbles and other larger materials are usually described as intermediate or reflective beaches. They usually have a steep offshore slope and are narrow and steep in relief. Waves are either 'collapsing' or 'surging' in character with a strong swash and weak backwash. Hence larger pebble material is driven onshore under a strong swash and then deposited as the backwash is too weak to remove it. Also, on pebble beaches quite a bit of energy in the backwash will be lost via percolation (usually 33-50%) which further weakens the backwash.
    cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

sounds very much like a mike collins lecture.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex p)
    sounds very much like a mike collins lecture.
    Who is Mike Collins?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who is Mike Collins?
    mike collins or dorrik stowe, one of the two, sedimentary and oceanography lectures at NOCS, just sounded very much like one of the handouts i have from their courses.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 16, 2008
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.