The Student Room Group
Reply 1
anyone? :frown:
Reply 2
I think momentum is transferred from the car to ground?? :confused:
Reply 3
that's what i think......but my stupid teacher expects us to write a whole essay about it!!................i'll just have to tell him i can't do his dumb h/wk!
Reply 4
i think to be more complex, you need to talk about what the force is. Since force is rate of change of momentum, as the car falls, it increases in momentum, but the ground increases in momentum upwards. When the car hits the ground, it exerts a force back against the ground, and the that changes it's momentum, but the ground exerts a force against the car (via electrostatics) and thus pushes back.
Reply 5
Willa
i think to be more complex, you need to talk about what the force is. Since force is rate of change of momentum, as the car falls, it increases in momentum, but the ground increases in momentum upwards. When the car hits the ground, it exerts a force back against the ground, and the that changes it's momentum, but the ground exerts a force against the car (via electrostatics) and thus pushes back.

i get what you mean!......thanx! :smile:
Momentum before = Momentum after
The momentum from the car has been transferred to the ground and hence to the earth which causes a very very small change in momentum to the earth...
The earth is moving upwards[with a very small velocity] as the car gains downwards momentum the earth gains an equal an opposite upward momentum.... At the end of it all, the total momentum is zero
Reply 7
HaggenDaZ
Momentum before = Momentum after
The momentum from the car has been transferred to the ground and hence to the earth which causes a very very small change in momentum to the earth...
The earth is moving upwards[with a very small velocity] as the car gains downwards momentum the earth gains an equal an opposite upward momentum.... At the end of it all, the total momentum is zero

thanx! :smile:
Saf!
thanx! :smile:

welcome

Latest