The Student Room Group

Could I become an actuary?

I've done a lot of research about the job and I really want to do it.
For my GCSEs I think I'll get mostly Bs and roughly 5As maybe a low A* in maths or a high A.
My A level choices:
Maths
Further maths
Economics
Classical civilization

is it best to do I.T instead of classics and physics instead of ecnomics?

what I want to know is, what GCSE grades and A level grades, roughly, would I need to get to become an actuary? Based on my GCSE results I think I'll get, will I be capable? Im also a tiny bit worried about FM since I might get an A and not an A*. Thanks.

oh and does uni matter for actuary science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends. Most actuaries I know got very good grades and are very smart (ie. straight As at A level). The key is being good in maths. The university does matter, but go to any pretty decent uni for actuarial science and you'll probably get an actuarial job somewhere. The better you are, the more choice you'll have over where.
Reply 2
Drogue
Depends. Most actuaries I know got very good grades and are very smart (ie. straight As at A level). The key is being good in maths. The university does matter, but go to any pretty decent uni for actuarial science and you'll probably get an actuarial job somewhere. The better you are, the more choice you'll have over where.

What unis are especially good for actarial science? And based on my GCSEs grade do you think I'll be able to actually do it? I mean hand full of As and a rest Bs is enough or not?
dont take ICT, its a useless subject
Reply 4
trance addict
dont take ICT, its a useless subject

:wink: good advice here!

your AS choices sound fine - much better to get the high grade in classics than to get a low grade in physics! And if you apply for acturial science with maths, fm + economics i doubt most unis will mind what the 4th subject is ... as long as it's not film studies or anything :smile:
Reply 5
I was thinking that too, lol.
If you're really interested in computers, take computing, not ICT.
Reply 7
Maths is the only subject you need, and with FM it doesn't really matter for the rest. As for good unis, I'm not too sure. LSE's one of the best places, but would probably be too much of a stretch grades-wise.
Reply 8
college or 6th form don't offer computing so that's out the question. And 6th form does economics and classics but college does ICT (rubbish) but physics.
Reply 9
If you do FM, choose the Stats modules, it'll make your first year a little easier
Reply 10
Erm most actuaries are very strong mathematicians, if you are scraping an A* at GCSE for maths I think you might struggle with actuarial work later on, in addition you need to really enjoy maths because otherwise you'll probably find it boring. However it is fair to point out that there is a very broad gap between GCSE maths and A level - Degree stuff so a lot of people tend to realise if their maths is really up to it at A level. However some develop into better mathematicians and some start to struggle considerably having cruised through maths in previous years. See how you find A level Maths, particularly the Further Maths.
Reply 11
Most good actuarial jobs require an A in A Level maths and to even get in to the profession you need a B. So I would make sure you concentrate on that one during your A Levels. I got mostly As a couple of A*s and a couple of Bs at GCSE and I've never found it a problem. Most places just ask for your Maths and English grades so as long as these are above a B you will be fine. Just make sure you get good A Levels (at least ABB).
I had a talk from an Actuary at Deloitte last week. She said most actuaries some from maths backgrounds, and an A at Maths A Level is a must. You just need to just love your numbers - however she did study Physics at Imperial and mentioned that a lot of the tricky stuff that came up on her course (i.e. quantum mechanics) allowed her to excel in certain areas of her job (where others would stuggle). Always aim for a high university. I'd say a top 10 university with a good degree, would put you in a good position for a job as an Actuary.
Reply 13
thanks for all the advice. Although i'm a little bit worried now lol. Could always be an accountant as a backup plan I suppose?
Tallon
thanks for all the advice. Although i'm a little bit worried now lol. Could always be an accountant as a backup plan I suppose?

Does anyone know the long term prospects of someone who has done an ACA against someone who has passed the actuary exams? Is it possible to get into managment/director level from both qualifications, say for a random company?
LSE and City are the best unis that offer Actuarial Science and require AAA. Other options are Kent and Manchester (the latter requires a high A math grade).

Many maths/physics graduates become actuaries however they must sit the full set of exams required by the Institute of Actuaries. On the other hand if you were to take Actuarial Science you will be given exemptions from the first 8 exams, this may decrease the time taken for you to go from 'Trainee Actuary' to 'Qualified Actuary'.

I would encourage you to take computing/ICT as it us used widely in the profession. As someone already mentioned if you cant confidently get an A* in maths at GCSE you may find FM pretty difficult but if you 'pull your socks up' you will have no problem.

: ) Okay?
Reply 16
I know LSE is out of the question even with AAA because they love GCSE grades, right? so what about city? Kent might be realistic though.
Reply 17
There is a course at City, Maths and Finance. To some it is almost equal to Kent's Actuarial Science course.

Just to note, I know a number of people, including me, who didn't get an A* in GCSE Maths and found FM quite reasonable.
Reply 18
fblade
There is a course at City, Maths and Finance. To some it is almost equal to Kent's Actuarial Science course.

Just to note, I know a number of people, including me, who didn't get an A* in GCSE Maths and found FM quite reasonable.

what so kent actuarial science is highly regarded by city is a better uni in general?
thanks for your reply on FM btw lol
City has some basic GCSE Math and English requirements which you can easily satisfy- i think it was a B/C. You can put city as the firm choice and kent and city-maths+finance as insurance choices when it comes to Uni applications. Why not take three subjects if your so worried about not making the AAA?

Quick Reply

Latest