The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Snobpence17
Is it true that if you go for an engineering degree you're doomed to being surrounded by weirdos for 4 years?

Sounds a bit silly I know but is there anyone doing an engineering degree or whatever that's able to comment?

You said it yourself there! Do you think all of them will be geeks or weirdos?? If so then you are odd.

Edited: I am sorry OP, it sounded too harsh...:frown:
Reply 2
Geeks are cool though
21:13
Geeks are cool though

Agreed.
Reply 4
Not only are you surrounded by geeks, you become one yourself
Reply 5
studyboy
You said it yourself there! Do you think all of them will be geeks or weirdos?? If so then you are odd.

Not sure, I'm not currently doing an engineering degree.
Reply 6
Snobpence17
Not sure, I'm not currently doing an engineering degree.

Common sense dear Snobpence17, of course the answer is a no. :wink:
Reply 7
I study Physics but I know a few engineers - will be living with 3 next year. From my experience engineers are awesome! :biggrin: There's also the added advantage that they can fix stuff, my one flatmate's straightners broke but an engineer came to the rescue and fixed them.

so engineers are cool. nuff said.
:biggrin:
To be honest you can be friends with who you want at uni... although a lot of the ones I know (including myself) are friends with geeks but that's because we're geeks ourselves!

Also there is the fact that engineering is normally a 4 year course meaning it's easier for us to be friends with other people doing longer courses which tend to be geekier subjects.
From past experience the answer would generally be no. I studied at Aberdeen University for a year and had a lot of mates that were doing engineering and most of them were typical lads that went mental most of the time!
Reply 10
Engineers are generally geeks. Its a general rule of thumb that if you studied maths and physics during your A levels you are a geek. The are some "lads" in engineering, but not many. Most look like they havn't seen the light of day all their life. But you can choose your friends inside and outside of your course so don't worry bout it. :smile:
Reply 11
id say a third are typical lads, a third geeks, and are third international students who keep themselves to themselves
Reply 12
daman982
id say a third are typical lads, a third geeks, and are third international students who keep themselves to themselves

...and a 1/20 girls
Reply 13
shuvle
...and a 1/20 girls

Thats the only thing which sucks about the course, not many girls. :frown: At the interview i must have seen like 2 girls out of about 40. so yes 1/20. I was quite surpised actually.
Reply 14
daman982

Maybe it's the typical lads and geeks that keep to themselves?
my mom told me that there was loads of boring geeks when she met my dad at uni... and if that i ever have an interview ive got to show them that i'm "one of the lads" as thats whats needed. :s

so ye apparently there are loads of geeks, but i shall not be one :smile:

Latest