The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Akkuz
Hi people. I have no knowledge of consultancy and just wanted some feedback, on if my profile could attain a position in management or strategy consultancy. I'm about to finish my degree with a 1st, and I have a masters offer from kings and still awaiting news from Cambridge...although its more likely I'll end up at KCL, so I'll use that as my profile...

BA International Business (on track for a 1st class)
MSc International Management - King's College London

Chances of getting into the top consultancies? (I've heard they only take people from the "top 6") May I add, my choice of destination to work would be Istanbul (if it makes any difference...)

Thanks (please quote me if you reply)

Really can't comment on your chances of getting into Istanbul, I don't even know which consultancies have Istanbul offices. Where are you doing your undergrad?
Reply 2441
Original post by BigFudamental
Really can't comment on your chances of getting into Istanbul, I don't even know which consultancies have Istanbul offices. Where are you doing your undergrad?

Undergrad at Brighton (I know its not the most reputable uni..but in Turkey it has a good rep.). Many of the top consultancies all have offices in Istanbul. I've done a high profile internship at the largest firm in Turkey too.

What are my chances in general? I'm aware King's isnt a "top 6" but I know it's reputation in Turkey is world class.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Akkuz
Undergrad at Brighton (I know its not the most reputable uni..but in Turkey it has a good rep.). Many of the top consultancies all have offices in Istanbul. I've done a high profile internship at the largest firm in Turkey too.

What are my chances in general? I'm aware King's isnt a "top 6" but I know it's reputation in Turkey is world class.

Well in general going for a non-London office is a good approach because London is extremely competitive for all the major consultancies (UK has a high population, lots of people with good degrees, lots of international applicants, only one office). I think you probably know better than anyone here what your chances in Turkey are. Did the firm you interned for not offer you a job?
Reply 2443
Original post by BigFudamental
Well in general going for a non-London office is a good approach because London is extremely competitive for all the major consultancies (UK has a high population, lots of people with good degrees, lots of international applicants, only one office). I think you probably know better than anyone here what your chances in Turkey are. Did the firm you interned for not offer you a job?

They told me to get a masters and then get in contact. If any suitable positions are available they will take me on. They quoted a very good starting salary and perks.

However, perhaps salary increases would be higher in consultancy I feel (in the long term)? Furthermore, consultancy seems like a job well suited for me. Working on different projects, some travel involved, fairly intense etc. :smile:

Back to the question..so would that profile be good enough to attain a job at the Top 10 consultancies? Or even top 4/5? I don't think I'll be too far outta reach with a masters from King's? I mean, both my degrees will be highly suited for management consultancy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Donpacifico
Well let me start off by introducing myself and my profile.

I have only recently in my last year at university (2010/2011) gotten interested in banking. Always wanted to do something business related so when doing my Accounting and Finance course at UEL (I know, I know, **** uni and all that) I assumed that so long as I do well I'd be able to get into most different fields withing business. Having started the course I slowly started getting more interested in the finance modules and felt the accounting modules were easy and quite repetitive. I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to get into accounting. Had a couple internships at the Islamic Development bank in their internal auditing and treasury departments in 2010 and 2011. Hated the internal auditing internship but loved my time at the treasury department.

Anyways, I know my background at UEL is a major stumbling block. I came to the UK from a war torn country in Africa in 2001 aged 15 with no formal education unable to speak a word of english. I worked hard in my spare time learning english online and from cds so I wasn't able to do well at A levels. Took maths, biology and chemistry and had 2 Cs and a D. Took a couple of years out working in retail before being deciding to go to university as I knew I'd be unable to do well going straight into uni. End of the day, I gained maturity and worked my arse off and came out with a 1st at UEL (yes, it is a poor university but you can only work with what you've got).

Since starting my final year I'd realised exactly what I wanted to do but knew that with my background I'd be unable to even be considered for a FO grad scheme role or even an internship as competition was so high and my background was nowhere near strong enough. Ended up convincing myself to work as hard as I could to get a 1st so that I could get into a top business school to do my MSc (in an attempt to reinvent myself).

Also worth mentioning since starting my undergrad course, I've retaken the biology and maths A level's and got 2 A's. I redid them more to prove to myself that I was able (once I'd gotten to grips with the language and I'd had a formal education) than anything else as back then I was under the impression that your degree was the most important thing for employers and that hardly anyone looks at your A levels past graduation.

Just received an email on Friday confirming that I'd been accepted onto the LSE MSc Accounting and Finance course and wanted to know from those already in the field what my chances of landing a grad scheme role or even an internship on graduation? Would I have a chance or would I still be at near enough to 0?

Serious answer please. I know the uni I went to is **** and all that so no need to inform me of something I already know. Just asking people who've already been through the whole process rather the those still in secondary education or just starting their degrees. Whilst opinions of those people are all valid, I'd rather hear from someone who's already been through it all.

Thanks.

Well the Msc from LSE will certainly be a massive help. In terms of overall application yours will probably still be behind some people's who have undergrads at top 6 and relevant work experience etc but the fact your at LSE will open up a whole new way in for you; networking.

So when you are there make sure you get involved and go and meet people from industry and help your chances that way.

To summarise; your not guaranteed anything but your chances are way above 0.
In GCSE, i got 6a*s and 5as. Do i stand a chance? Feel free to neg rep but before you do give me an answer.
Original post by bhogs001
In GCSE, i got 6a*s and 5as. Do i stand a chance? Feel free to neg rep but before you do give me an answer.

Banks don't care about your GCSE's. The main thing is you leverage those GCSE's into decent A-Levels. Go to a top uni (Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE/Warwick/UCL) and get some relevant work experience on the way.

I know people with worse GCSE's at one of those uni's with internships at BB's and I know people with better grades who went elsewhere and haven't got anything.
Thanks for the reply.

Mind if I pick your brains a bit?

How badly do you think think where I went to uni and my original a level grades will affect any applications? Also will my background and the fact that I've redone two a levels and got A's in both be beneficial or will the look down on the fact that i retook them years later (despite having valid reasons for my grades first time around)? Also seeing as I didn't apply for any internships for this year due to the uncertainty of whether or not I'd be accepted to LSE, would it br better to apply for internships whilst staring my MSc or should I apply for grad positions?

First I would just mention I don't work in HR. I'm just a second year but In my opinion I think its obviously a slight negative but will be overshadowed by the fact your doing an Msc at LSE. It won't be easy but no longer impossible either.

There are next to no grad positions available and those few spots that are available will probably be taken by someone more qualified so if I were you I would apply for internships.
Ok I hear that. Just to be clear I mean grad positions starting autumn 2013 not 2012. Did you mean 2012?

I figured you meant 2013 as the 2012 ones are all gone?

I'd steer clear of grad apps anyway. Almost every banks HR I've spoken to have said they are doing very little if any hiring through grads at the moment.
Reply 2449
Studying Computer science at Goldsmiths. Looking to do an Msc in politics at a top uni.

What are my chances of going in to a FO role?
May sound like a really stupid question, but would rather know the answer now than in a few years time when its too late;

How important, if at all, do you think GCSEs are?
Obviously A-Levels and your degree are far far more important, but I just wondered as IB is SO competitive.

I know GCSEs are really very unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but was very disappointed with mine - a source of endless doubt in my ability to perform at A L-Level/get into a good uni, hasn't held me back as yet (despite my teachers advising that it would particularly in applying to uni) and just wanted some opinions as to whether people think it may have any effect on my chances in IB?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by silverspoonmess
May sound like a really stupid question, but would rather know the answer now than in a few years time when its too late;

How important, if at all, do you think GCSEs are?
Obviously A-Levels and your degree are far far more important, but I just wondered as IB is SO competitive.

I know GCSEs are really very unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but was very disappointed with mine - a source of endless doubt in my ability to perform at A L-Level/get into a good uni, hasn't held me back as yet (despite my teachers advising that it would particularly in applying to uni) and just wanted some opinions as to whether people think it may have any effect on my chances in IB?

You're looking at Law at Oxford. Be serious. In short, your GCSEs won't matter, and I'm guessing yours aren't terrible for you to get into Oxford.
Reply 2452
Would acting as a carer for someone with a severe mental disability during GCSE and A-level count as a valid mitigating/extraneous circumstance? Bearing in mind that I do have access to various independent witnesses who can confirm this.

In terms of the academic side: I meet the minimum UCAS points for most internships except the ones that want A-level Maths (I didn't do it). Unfortunately I don't exceed them like many competitors would.

Right now, I'm not in a 'target' university - I'm on a gap year and I'm attending a 'non-target' this year.
However I do plan to aim to get into a 'target' university for a masters, though I'm curious of my pre-degree grades (ACCc and average GCSEs with Cs at Maths and Eng) would have me cut off before the interview stage?

Thanks in advanced.
Reply 2453
I am aspiring towards a career at a bulge bracket IB (M&A division). Please tell me if there is a realistic chance or at least if you would say that my combination of university/grades is good enough to be considered at the London/New York office.

- bilingual (English and German) German Abitur with an 1.3 overall grade (~A in UK/US)
- 2 internships (not in the financial industry so far)
- dual citizenship
- having lived in 4 (European) countries
- studying IBA at RSM - Rotterdam School of Management (Bachelor)
- Dutch GPA ~8.5 (officiall conversion: A - first (UK), A* (USA))

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply 2454
Original post by I-Banker
I am aspiring towards a career at a bulge bracket IB (M&A division). Please tell me if there is a realistic chance or at least if you would say that my combination of university/grades is good enough to be considered at the London/New York office.

- bilingual (English and German) German Abitur with an 1.3 overall grade (~A in UK/US)
- 2 internships (not in the financial industry so far)
- dual citizenship
- having lived in 4 (European) countries
- studying IBA at RSM - Rotterdam School of Management (Bachelor)
- Dutch GPA ~8.5 (officiall conversion: A - first (UK), A* (USA))

Thank you very much in advance.

Internship, yes. Graduate not so much. Also depends on the quality of your other internships.
UCL Economics and Statistics good enough for IB?
Reply 2456
Original post by Mathssss
UCL Economics and Statistics good enough for IB?

Ja
Reply 2457
Original post by cratz911
Studying Computer science at Goldsmiths. Looking to do an Msc in politics at a top uni.

What are my chances of going in to a FO role?

Why politics? I mean you'll still have a chance but with an MSc Finance you'll be sitting pretty.
UCL psychology good enough for IB?
Reply 2459
I read your discussion and i am very greatful to you all because with this your discussion. I get great knowledge about it. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending