The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fletchdd02
I have 4A* 5As 1B GCSEs

I'm in year 12 taking; Biology, chemistry, maths, economics.
I'm thinking of doing a chemistry degree, hopefully at UCL.

What're the chances?

P.S Ignore the sig, i'm not thinking of medicine anymore :wink:

At the moment you have no chance as your not even at university. Banks don't really care about how many A*'s you have at GCSE or the subjects you took at A Level as long as you got good grades and got into a good university. Revisit this thread when your at uni and you can post up a more relevant profile including what area you want to go into, your uni, degree, EC's, work experience etc :smile: Although Chemistry at UCL should be ok you will definitely need to prove your interest in finance so make a start on that.
Reply 2481
Original post by Scorcher
At the moment you have no chance as your not even at university. Banks don't really care about how many A*'s you have at GCSE or the subjects you took at A Level as long as you got good grades and got into a good university. Revisit this thread when your at uni and you can post up a more relevant profile including what area you want to go into, your uni, degree, EC's, work experience etc :smile: Although Chemistry at UCL should be ok you will definitely need to prove your interest in finance so make a start on that.

Yeah obviously I have a massive way to go yet, I was just seeing if I was on track as i'm going.

Should I be looking into trying to get some work experience over the summer in an IB setting?
Reply 2482
Original post by Industrious Orca
So what do you actually want to do? IBD? Operations? Strategy Consulting?

And what does your EC and W/E profile look like at the moment, and once you're applying for spring weeks?

My ECs are quite strong I would say but all my work experience is medical based at the moment. So should I look into sorting some more relevant W/E over summer?
Yeah obviously I have a massive way to go yet, I was just seeing if I was on track as i'm going.

Should I be looking into trying to get some work experience over the summer in an IB setting?

Just work extra hard for your A Levels and get into a top university. Work experience in the summer would be good but it will be hard unless you know somebody at the bank.
My ECs are quite strong I would say but all my work experience is medical based at the moment. So should I look into sorting some more relevant W/E over summer?

Chemistry at UCL is good enough for any position in IB or consulting, but it is very tough. You need to work out which division you actually want to go into as well; some are a lot easier than others to get into. Any W/E is good, whether that be this summer or the summer between 1st and 2nd year etc.
Reply 2485
Original post by nnnnl
Lol personally I don't think this thread has any significance. Might be fun though. You're good enough if the employers think you'll be a profitable hire. It's not like uni applications where if you tick certain boxes you're highly likely to get in.

If the interviewer's not feeling it, he's not feeling it! Doesn't matter who you are...

Actually usually right up until that final interview, most stages have boxes that you need to tick. Even the first interview, its all about ticking those boxes.
Reply 2486
Original post by Industrious Orca
Chemistry at UCL is good enough for any position in IB or consulting, but it is very tough. You need to work out which division you actually want to go into as well; some are a lot easier than others to get into. Any W/E is good, whether that be this summer or the summer between 1st and 2nd year etc.

I think I'd like to be in the front office where the big dogs play :cool:
Reply 2487

F**k me that was gay.

Well your course is good enough. Just work hard on your grades, W/E and ECs, and work out where you want to be in the front office.
Reply 2489
Original post by john1880
Hey everyone! I'm a 1st year biochem student at UCL, and expecting a good 2.i this year. Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of extra-curricular things on my CV, but I do have a couple. I was wondering if anyone knows the chances of securing an internship in strategy consulting - BCG/Bain/Mckinsey seem unlikely so probably OC&C, Marakon, Booz etc. Alternatively one of the public services firms consulting arms (Deloitte seems quite good). I have noticed that it is very Oxbridge dominated, and would this mean that I'd need a 1st coming from UCL in order to be considered. Thanks in advance!

Anyone?
Original post by Scorcher
Without even taking your degree into consideration

you won't get past the filters which require AAB at A Level

(unless you can skip them by knowing senior people at the bank).

They don't care how bad your college was

most of us go to state schools and some of us

including me go to absolutely terrible ones but we try harder.

You should count yourself lucky that you had a

chance to go to a private school for the majority

of your education and blaming your grades on your college

is just a weak excuse as most just get on with it.

So my only advice would be to start networking as much as possible

with people in the city in an attempt to bypass the filters

and also stop blaming others for your poor grades at A Level.

Okay first of all I am not blaming anyone in particular for my grades which aren't "poor" albeit not high enough to get past the filters, there is no need for the insulting and dismissive tone on this thread (indeed on almost every thread on this supposedly helpful and non-judgmental student forum for ALL students) that at times reeks of pathetic rank snobbery, the same snobbery that I am being accused of. If you re read the paragraph I merely suggest that the college may have worsened my predicament when I could have been helped. I always hear people being told to stop blaming others when they fail well guess what in life you do meet people who take pleasure in seeing you fail and therefore take any opportunity that they get to make that happen hence the reference to "Malign Family influences" in my initial statement. It can happen that you are perfectly capable of succeeding in a certain endeavour and end up failing due to the cynical nature of people who feel threatened by or jealous of your talent, believe me this happens in life and it can happen to anyone. I know the use of the word **** sent the wrong signal but my intentions were sincere, if it seems that I am having a rant then I apologise for wasting yours and everyone else's time

Good day Student Room I will be seeking help from another student community
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2491
I know quite a lot of firms have an auto filter on A-Level, I am retaking my A-Levels due to extenuating circumstances. Providing I hit the nail on the head this time.. Will there be an issue?
Reply 2492
What would the possibilities for someone with a decent (probably not outstanding) BSc in MechEng from ETH Zurich be concerning Graduate Programs at the "prestigious Unis" etc. ?
Reply 2493
Ok here is Dilemma, should I apply for a Internship or Grad Role for next year.

Profile.
Had few FO Interviews at BB for Internship this year but failed to convert to offer, currently few Interview lined up at Asset Management.
-Want to work in FICC Trading. No sales just Trading.
-current 2nd Year BSC Economics (University not the target one but decent enuff)
-Multi Cultured Background, Raised up in 4 different countries
-Speak 6 different Languages
-won 2 trading challenges International (among 2000 students in Europe) and national (among 300 Student)
-Trading intern in summer during 1st year at a Prop firm (This was my Prize for Coming first in the challenge)
-Spring week in BB
-(Trade my own account for last 4 years FX)
-Strong EC, u no the usual president of Investment Society, Head of Investment Fund, volunteering,Charity, Sports and all.
-done networking the usual get on linkedin contact alumni going up for event in city all dt
-have been working every weekends since I started A levels until now, Work experience abroad as well but not related to Banking.
-set up a production with my mates, filming, music videos, event and etc, got our work nominated for Best Music Video, Post Production at British Student Film Festival
-A levels grade (BCC) Maths, Business, Film (did it again since I had 3 years to fill up my gap to gain Home student status Hence cld not be asked to take it seriously, Although did enjoy my film course a lot)
-A levels Equivalent (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, English) Average of 71% in all 5.

The problem is will BB just reject my apps if i dont have any intern this summer in my CV if I apply for grad job. I am still confused shld I go for Intern or Grad for next year as I will be graduating next year. even If I get an intern this summer what Would My chances be over someone whose done an intern at BB but did not get a grad offer.
My plan is if I dont get an Intern this summer is to do cycling charity and then going over asia to do volunteering work through uni in Sept.

Bottom Line is I only wish to work at Banking for 3-4 years even though I love it, Plan is to Make my tuition fees for film School and whisk off to NYU Film school to study Directing. As my heart lies in Filming.

FeedBack would be Appreciated Hugely. will rep u guys.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hykt
Ok here is Dilemma, should I apply for a Internship or Grad Role for next year.

Profile.
Had few Interviews at BB for Internship this year but failed to convert to offer, currently few Interview lined up at Asset Management.
-Want to work in FICC Trading. No sales just Trading.
-current 2nd Year BSC Economics (University not the target one but decent enuff)
-Multi Cultured Background, Raised up in 4 different countries
-Speak 6 different Languages
-won 2 trading challenges International (among 2000 students in Europe) and national (among 300 Student)
-Trading intern in summer during 1st year at a Prop firm (This was my Prize for Coming first in the challenge)
-Spring week in BB
-(Trade my own account for last 4 years FX)
-Strong EC, u no the usual president of Investment Society, Head of Investment Fund, volunteering,Charity, Sports and all.
-done networking the usual get on linkedin contact alumni going up for event in city all dt
-have been working every weekends since I started A levels until now, Work experience abroad as well but not related to Banking.
-set up a production with my mates, filming, music videos, event and etc, got our work nominated for Best Music Video, Post Production at British Student Film Festival
-A levels grade (BCC) Maths, Business, Film (did it again since I had 3 years to fill up my gap to gain Home student status Hence cld not be asked to take it seriously, Although did enjoy my film course a lot)
-A levels Equivalent (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, English) Average of 71% in all 5.

The problem is will BB just reject my apps if i dont have any intern this summer in my CV if I apply for grad job. I am still confused shld I go for Intern or Grad for next year as I will be graduating next year. even If I get an intern this summer what Would My chances be over someone whose done an intern at BB but did not get a grad offer.
My plan is if I dont get an Intern this summer is to do cycling charity and then going over asia to do volunteering work through uni in Sept.

Bottom Line is I only wish to work at Banking for 3-4 years even though I love it, Plan is to Make my tuition fees for film School and whisk off to NYU Film school to study Directing. As my heart lies in Filming.

FeedBack would be Appreciated Hugely. will rep u guys.

I would apply for an intern role if I was you.

Your A-Level grades are on the low side, but I think you would get a sales role relatively easily if you can speak six different languages fluently.
Reply 2495
Original post by effofex
I would apply for an intern role if I was you.

Your A-Level grades are on the low side, but I think you would get a sales role relatively easily if you can speak six different languages fluently.

Yep i though about Applying for sales role, but thing is I dont like it. I am just geared into Trading. I did my A levels in 2006, would you still think it is in low side for Banking. cheers for the advice.
Original post by hykt
Yep i though about Applying for sales role, but thing is I dont like it. I am just geared into Trading. I did my A levels in 2006, would you still think it is in low side for Banking. cheers for the advice.

Yes - it is on the low side - alot of banks use an unofficial threshold of AAB as a minimum, but other things can of course compensate. At smaller places and at proprietary firms the grades do not matter so much, and your P/L from your own personal trading, motivations, market knowledge, speed maths etc. matter alot more. If you are geared towards trading I would recommend taking more quantitative modules and speaking to as many traders as possible.
I got 11A*s at GCSE, 45 points at IB and have an unconditional offer from Cambridge to do History. I started my own business at 13 and made a reasonable profit.

However for every gap year program or work experience scheme in the city I've applied for in the last two years I haven't even made it past the first stage - including Deloitte and a few others. I'm currently plagued with self doubt - did the fact I didn't do Higher Maths or Economics count against me and will I still find it hard getting internships etc. at uni?

I understand this may sound whiny and I'm going to get negged for it but if anyone could give me some advice I'd be very grateful.
Reply 2498
Original post by effofex
Yes - it is on the low side - alot of banks use an unofficial threshold of AAB as a minimum, but other things can of course compensate. At smaller places and at proprietary firms the grades do not matter so much, and your P/L from your own personal trading, motivations, market knowledge, speed maths etc. matter alot more. If you are geared towards trading I would recommend taking more quantitative modules and speaking to as many traders as possible.

But my High School Grade conversion from my Home place according in line to US grade is AAAAA. If it not had been the case I presume my application would have been rejected in the initial screening stage for this summer application. just my thought. I am also planning to take extra math modules in my 3rd year. I guess need to network even more this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Banishingboredom
I got 11A*s at GCSE, 45 points at IB and have an unconditional offer from Cambridge to do History. I started my own business at 13 and made a reasonable profit.

However for every gap year program or work experience scheme in the city I've applied for in the last two years I haven't even made it past the first stage - including Deloitte and a few others. I'm currently plagued with self doubt - did the fact I didn't do Higher Maths or Economics count against me and will I still find it hard getting internships etc. at uni?

I understand this may sound whiny and I'm going to get negged for it but if anyone could give me some advice I'd be very grateful.

No. Unless you're applying for quant analyst, structuring type roles etc. For anything else, History at Cambridge and a 45 are good enough. Provided you can reach the pass mark on the tests the banks make you take, you should be fine with your mathematical ability. Maybe your cover letter, CV and comp questions are badly written.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending