The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prince Quinton
Yeah I get that if you're good enough as a person and the right fit they'll hire you, but, having a maths/econ/some maths or financial degree is better than a chemistry/bio/other degree, coming from someone who actually is high up in Citigroup :P But thanks, now all i have to do is get into UCL/LSE!

yes sir quinton, i will bow down to the prince of uk citicgroup. if your uncle is so high up could you please ask him why citi has been performing so poor the last 2 years? maybe the econ graduates he has hired are flops? :h:
Original post by Prince Quinton
Yeah I get that if you're good enough as a person and the right fit they'll hire you, but, having a maths/econ/some maths or financial degree is better than a chemistry/bio/other degree, coming from someone who actually is high up in Citigroup :P But thanks, now all i have to do is get into UCL/LSE!

Your uncle being there doesn't guarantee you a job :lol: Who knows what might happen in these 3 years?
Hey guys.

I have 3 degree options - which do you think would be the best?

1) UCL: Philosophy
2) Durham: Business and Management
3) Durham: Philosophy

Could someone also give their opinion on the degree Business and Management from Durham, is this seen as a doss course? Is it well respected?

Also, is there room for someone whose skill set favours the written word over maths (I'm quite sharp in terms of mental maths but I only got a B in GCSE maths and didn't take it further).
Cheers
Original post by tsr9002
Hey guys.

Could someone also give their opinion on the degree Business and Management from Durham, is this seen as a doss course? Is it well respected?

Also, is there room for someone whose skill set favours the written word over maths (I'm quite sharp in terms of mental maths but I only got a B in GCSE maths and didn't take it further).
Cheers

philosophy is sick, durham course is fine too, if you prefer phil then ucl no brainer.
Original post by welcometoib
philosophy is sick, durham course is fine too, if you prefer phil then ucl no brainer.

Thanks for the reply. What makes you think so highly of it?

Do you have an opinion on the Business and Management course at Durham?
Original post by tsr9002
Thanks for the reply. What makes you think so highly of it?

Do you have an opinion on the Business and Management course at Durham?

from what ive seen intense workload, interesting concepts, and helps some skill sets, such as thinking analytically and constructing essays from large pieces of text for instance. bus and man its a fine course for ib, as always must do lots of extra curriculars to stand out. durham is a fine university too.
Reply 3206
Im in banking in a very senior post i got a job after uni and had the opportunity to go into investment banking but chose mgmt instead u can work you way up quickly with the right attitude even if u start in a cashier position u coukd be in either mgmt or investments within 5 years providing you complete internal exams even if u only have gcse maths and english. I became manager within 18 months of starting - good luck
Original post by Macyaz
Im in banking in a very senior post i got a job after uni and had the opportunity to go into investment banking but chose mgmt instead u can work you way up quickly with the right attitude even if u start in a cashier position u coukd be in either mgmt or investments within 5 years providing you complete internal exams even if u only have gcse maths and english. I became manager within 18 months of starting - good luck

Nice one mate, almost as impressive as running a McDonald's restaurant - but they have better exit opps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Macyaz

i don't think anyone here is talking about retail banking. nice achievement nonetheless.

Original post by tsr9002
Hey guys.

Cheers

uni > course. ucl is a target, i'd go with that.
Original post by gr8wizard10
i don't think anyone here is talking about retail banking. nice achievement nonetheless.

uni > course. ucl is a target, i'd go with that.

It surprises me Durham is held in lower regard than UCL, or UCL is a 'target' over Durham considering Durham is a more respected university on the whole.

Does anyone know why this is?
Original post by tsr9002
It surprises me Durham is held in lower regard than UCL, or UCL is a 'target' over Durham considering Durham is a more respected university on the whole.

Does anyone know why this is?

not sure where you got durham is respected more than ucl
not sure where you got durham is respected more than ucl

It's much more traditional and entry requirements are generally higher. I actually spent this year at UCL but wanted to change course which I am down to do, although Durham have also offered me a place. It's much cheaper to study in Durham in terms of living costs (rent, food, nights out etc) and most people seem to think it's better so I'm leaning towards it. Although it seems for IB/Trading UCL is preferred... this is the only industry I've come across which has this preference so I was wondering why... maybe because it's in the city and is closer to where most of these banks are so naturally the intake is higher. But check some uni league tables if you fancy, sure you'll see Durham edging out UCL on most.
Original post by tsr9002
It's much more traditional and entry requirements are generally higher. I actually spent this year at UCL but wanted to change course which I am down to do, although Durham have also offered me a place. It's much cheaper to study in Durham in terms of living costs (rent, food, nights out etc) and most people seem to think it's better so I'm leaning towards it. Although it seems for IB/Trading UCL is preferred... this is the only industry I've come across which has this preference so I was wondering why... maybe because it's in the city and is closer to where most of these banks are so naturally the intake is higher. But check some uni league tables if you fancy, sure you'll see Durham edging out UCL on most.

Durham perhaps edges UCL in humanities subjects such as history, english literature etc, but for everything else including stem courses UCL is much more well respected. For IB in particular STEM courses are generally preferred, thus UCL is a target.
(edited 8 years ago)
Slightly off topic from the thread title but does anyone know the most useful language to know for the finance industry out of Spanish and French? Thanks
Original post by tsr9002
Slightly off topic from the thread title but does anyone know the most useful language to know for the finance industry out of Spanish and French? Thanks

Brazilian Portuguese or Turkish.
Original post by SotonianOne
Brazilian Portuguese or Turkish.

Spanish or French I only have two options unfortunately
Original post by tsr9002

I read outside of.

In that case Spanish, French is useless. France is bankrupt and Congo is in poverty, learning French has no advantages at least for a decade.
Original post by tsr9002

spend that time learning a language learning how to efficiently use excel and vba. much more utility
spend that time learning a language learning how to efficiently use excel and vba. much more utility

How complex are the excel skills you need to know?

And what even is vba haha?
Original post by tsr9002
How complex are the excel skills you need to know?

And what even is vba haha?

excel is bae, efficiency is everything. optimise efficiency = banker ready for war. either that or polish up powerpoint presentation skills.

if u use a mouse whilst in excel, you need to work on it. short keys are life.

visual basic application - programming, mostly used to create macros to optimise your excel efficiency

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending