The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Do a PhD in Econometrics rather than Econ if you want to be a quant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by gr8wizard10
do maths for quant positions

Ah okay, ty for the info guys. :biggrin:
hello, I am looking for some more advice on whether I am good enough for a management consulting internship and if so which firms I should apply for.

I've got fairly bad GCSEs, AAA at A-level, 69% in my first year at the university of Sheffield studying philosophy with most of my core modules 70%+. From June to September I will be (well am) working in consulting in the U.S. for a very small firm mostly dealing with one small Spanish client. So far it's involved researching the market and competitive landscape, making channels suggestions, drafting emails, creating powerpoints which the client will view etc etc.

I know I am not the standard candidate as I do not go to a prestigious university or have a flawless academic record. I also don't have lots of impressive extra curricular activities like being chairman of any societies or anything. I am a realist and I know i cannot compete with the vast majority of people who will be applying for internships at big 3 firms for example. Nevertheless I have decent grades and 3 months experience working in the industry, albeit for a very small firm. So, can anyone advise me on which firms it would be worth my time making an internship application for? I am of course referring to the 2016 summer penultimate year internships. Or maybe there is another route into management consulting which would be more suited for me that I have not considered? I guess my most general question is if you were me, with my grades and experience, what would you have your sights set on?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never knew there was a thread for this...
I am looking at Asset Management graduate schemes. I am about to enter third year at University of Bristol where I study Economics and Econometrics. I achieved a high 2:1 in second year and a first in first year. I am predicted to achieve a first overall at the end of third year. I completed a levels and achieved A*AAaa. My problem is I have no UK work experience. I have previously interned in one of the Big Four (Deloitte, KPMG, EY and PWC) but this was done in Dubai. I have done all the extra curricular stuff like head boy, sports, university societies etc etc. Do you think I stand a chance with graduate schemes or internships?
I am looking to go into asset management, less competitive than IB but still a difficult field to get into. I go to the University of Bristol, achieved a high 2:1 and predicted a first. I am going into third year and study Economics and Econometrics. My A levels are A*AAaa. What i am worried about is my lack of UK work experience. I have worked for one of the Big Four and done some other work experience but only in Dubai. Do you guys think I stand a chance for graduate schemes or internships?
Mature students are often valued for their greater experience, in both life and in business. Investment banks are always keen to employ those who come from underrepresented backgrounds, as they can offer a different/fresh approach to existing problems. Recently these organisations have also been keen to recruit those from a more diverse section of the population. As a result, one of the best ways to put yourself in a good position to enter into the sector is to attend one of their insight days:

1. Barclays, Goldman Sachs, UBS (etc.) all offer an insight days for those from an LGBT background called Insight and out:

http://www.insideandout-banking.com/

2. The same banks also do the same for those with a long-term disability both physical and mental called Getting Investment Banking:

http://www.gettinginvestmentbanking.com/

Not sure whether this is relevant to mature students but it definitely gives anyone a foot in the door for those interested in a career in investment banking.
Is a BSc from Nottingham in Industrial Economics ok?
Original post by Audi
Is a BSc from Nottingham in Industrial Economics ok?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys I've recents completed my GCSE's and I am expected straight A*/A's. My dream is to work in investment banking then to progress onto working in private equity. I know that IB is if not the most, one of the most competitive professions to get into. What I want to find out is how a 16 year old boy like me can start to differentiate myself from others so that I am successful in attaining a job in IB. Are there any things I should be doing now? Such as? What should I be concentrating on? Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should I take a gap year?
I received my A-level results today and achieved 3A*'s and 1A, however, my firm choice is not a "target".
To attain a FO position would it be smarter to take a year out and reapply to a target, such as UCL or LSE, or to go to this non-target university.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.
Original post by SpeedyGonzalez
Hey guys I've recents completed my GCSE's and I am expected straight A*/A's. My dream is to work in investment banking then to progress onto working in private equity. I know that IB is if not the most, one of the most competitive professions to get into. What I want to find out is how a 16 year old boy like me can start to differentiate myself from others so that I am successful in attaining a job in IB. Are there any things I should be doing now? Such as? What should I be concentrating on? Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woop woop, two of us here :tongue:
Original post by SpeedyGonzalez

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get good grades. Go to a good university. Enjoy the easy life while it lasts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to be an IBD Analyst/work in private equity or consulting after University and am wondering what I can do to improve my chances.

Have 7A*s 3As at GCSE and AAAAB in Maths, Econ, Phys, Business Studies and Chemistry respectively but I'm going to remark my chemistry grade, I'll also take further maths AS next year. I'm in a position to apply to target universities but am still thinking about the course - it'll most likely be around Economics but I doubt I'll apply for pure econ at LSE since its too competitive. From the targets: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick + Imperial is their a bias to those who study certain subjects? Or is it okay as long as it is fairly numerate?

Also, how does Accounting and Finance/Finance at LSE (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/DegreeProgrammes2016/finance/N300_BSc_Finance.aspx), fair against Economics at UCL/Warwick? I know London Universities have an advantage so that's probably going to be my preference.

In the meantime, what else could I do to become a stronger applicant? (Insight days, schemes such as SEO etc?)
Original post by KIDO123
Should I take a gap year?
I received my A-level results today and achieved 3A*'s and 1A, however, my firm choice is not a "target".
To attain a FO position would it be smarter to take a year out and reapply to a target, such as UCL or LSE, or to go to this non-target university.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Wow that's excellent, is your firm choice a semi-target?

In your position I'd probably take a gap year and apply - 1 year out could have a huge benefit for your career
Original post by iBall
I want to be an IBD Analyst/work in private equity or consulting after University and am wondering what I can do to improve my chances.

Have 7A*s 3As at GCSE and AAAAB in Maths, Econ, Phys, Business Studies and Chemistry respectively but I'm going to remark my chemistry grade, I'll also take further maths AS next year. I'm in a position to apply to target universities but am still thinking about the course - it'll most likely be around Economics but I doubt I'll apply for pure econ at LSE since its too competitive. From the targets: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick + Imperial is their a bias to those who study certain subjects? Or is it okay as long as it is fairly numerate?

Also, how does Accounting and Finance/Finance at LSE (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/DegreeProgrammes2016/finance/N300_BSc_Finance.aspx), fair against Economics at UCL/Warwick? I know London Universities have an advantage so that's probably going to be my preference.

In the meantime, what else could I do to become a stronger applicant? (Insight days, schemes such as SEO etc?)

I wouldn't worry about the competition for straight economics at LSE. If you think that level of competition is daunting, wait until you start applying for summer internships...

But yes, definitely try and do insight days and spring weeks, it seems to make it much easier to land a summer.
Original post by Noble.
I wouldn't worry about the competition for straight economics at LSE. If you think that level of competition is daunting, wait until you start applying for summer internships...

But yes, definitely try and do insight days and spring weeks, it seems to make it much easier to land a summer.

I wouldn't say I'm 'worried' but I'm more focused on having the LSE brand name as opposed to the full monte of Economics at LSE so am trying to be strategic. After speaking with current LSE students, it's not necessarily the ones who study economics who are most desired and quite a few failed to land internships.

I am thinking of E&M at Oxford however that is ridiculously competitive. And I seem to be in a deficit with my GCSE grades so need a good TSA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.

:s-smilie: Any tips for that?
Original post by iBall
I wouldn't say I'm 'worried' but I'm more focused on having the LSE brand name as opposed to the full monte of Economics at LSE so am trying to be strategic. After speaking with current LSE students, it's not necessarily the ones who study economics who are most desired and quite a few failed to land internships.

I am thinking of E&M at Oxford however that is ridiculously competitive. And I seem to be in a deficit with my GCSE grades so need a good TSA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plenty of people fail to get internships. Most people I know who wanted a summer internship in front office, and nearly all of them are at Ox/Cam/Imperial, failed to get one.
Original post by Imperion

For what?
Original post by Imperion

from freshers at uni apply for fresher rep positions, network with the seniors on the execs, join a sports team, join fun societies which make your cv stand out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending