The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by h3110
>video editing >competitive call of duty

did u make montages bro?

i ran a skating group, we made skating montages and got onboarded to work with a marketing company and featured in some music videos for artists like paigey cakey
Hi Guys,
I am from Germany and aim for M&A, my profile is:

Currently doing my Bachelor in Business Adminstration with a GPA of 3.2/4
1 Big 4 Audit internship
1 Big 4 Transaction Advisory Internship

Will start with my Masters at Stockholm School of Economics 17/18

Extracurricular:
- Scholarship
- Semester Abroad

Do I have a shot for a tier 2 bank or boutique in M&A or should I aim for Tier 3 and smaller boutiques? (I know that BB isn't possible yet)
Original post by BoyBoy94
Hi Guys,

1 Big 4 Audit internship

Extracurricular:
- Scholarship
- Semester Abroad

Do I have a shot for a tier 2 bank or boutique in M&A or should I aim for Tier 3 and smaller boutiques? (I know that BB isn't possible yet)

Boutiques regularly employ people from big 4 backgrounds, BB not so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BoyBoy94
Hi Guys,

1 Big 4 Audit internship

Extracurricular:
- Scholarship
- Semester Abroad

You'll have shot at every bank since you have good experience but you need to apply to internships, not graduate schemes.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Boutiques regularly employ people from big 4 backgrounds, BB not so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's not from a big4 background, he's an undergraduate with experience in big4 so has the same chance of a Bb internship after his third year as anyone else...
Original post by Trapz99
He's not from a big4 background, he's an undergraduate with experience in big4 so has the same chance of a Bb internship after his third year as anyone else...

"with experience in big4" So, a big 4 background then. Don't know why you're talking about internships either when he's probably past the deadline for most of them, also same experience as who? Someone without any prior internships? No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"with experience in big4" So, a big 4 background then. Don't know why you're talking about internships either when he's probably past the deadline for most of them, also same experience as who? Someone without any prior internships? No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think by big4 background, people usually mean someone who has worked at the big4 full time in their graduate scheme and has got their ACA. He can apply to internships while at Stockholm.
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

#triggered
Original post by Ladbants
#triggered
Bit random.
I wonder if people on this thread are now investment bankers
Original post by Mystery.
I wonder if people on this thread are now investment bankers

why not
Can I be a janitor in an investment bank with these grades?

GCSE's - 4 A's, 3 B's, 1 C
Subjects: Mathematics, Economics, and Business Studies
AS Level - AAB
A Level Predicted - A*AA + A* in EPQ
University Course Applied to: Economics
Universities Applied to: Bath (waiting), Nottingham (offered), Surrey (waiting), Loughborough (offered), and Kent (offered)
Original post by azizadil1998
Can I be a janitor in an investment bank with these grades?

GCSE's - 4 A's, 3 B's, 1 C
Subjects: Mathematics, Economics, and Business Studies
AS Level - AAB
A Level Predicted - A*AA + A* in EPQ
University Course Applied to: Economics
Universities Applied to: Bath (waiting), Nottingham (offered), Surrey (waiting), Loughborough (offered), and Kent (offered)

You can become anyone in an investment bank with those grades if you're a well rounded person.
Original post by Sayed0123
You can become anyone in an investment bank with those grades if you're a well rounded person.

Am on the chubby side tho; play badminton if that helps!!!:wink:
Original post by gr8wizard10
why not

Well people on the first page posted in like 2008 which means they have probably graduated and are in jobs so I was wondering if they would have succeeded or not.
Original post by Mystery.
Well people on the first page posted in like 2008 which means they have probably graduated and are in jobs so I was wondering if they would have succeeded or not.

yh ppl have

i've been on this forum since y12, and now hold a grad offer for august (graduating 2017)
Reply 3896
Original post by gr8wizard10
anything you're interested in.. namely hobbies.. football / basketball / making videos / rock climbing / writing for a blog or newspaper... literally anything that makes you interesting and stand out from the crowd.

hell a few of mine, that have been discussed in ib interviews include.. roller skating / small business i ran in year 10 / video editing / competitive call of duty / journalism

head prefect or whatever its called is nice.. but then again, everyone and their grandad was probably head prefect. just be unique.. the ultimate question anyone would be thinking is "is this guy interesting enough that i want to spend 17 hours a day with them?"

To add to that: "does the EC show leadership potential?". Showing you're independent, different, but also warm and engaging will count for a lot; someone that's smart but insufferable isn't getting in. However, something "different" may make for an interesting conversation, but it may not actually help you, and will just end being a footnote in your reasons for rejection.

I've spent 9 years in a Big 4 firm. Half in consulting and the other half supporting it. The last two years were recruiting, developing and managing consulting grads.
never do A/O levels
Diploma in biology and chemistry
bsc biochemistry 2:2 with honours from UEL
2 years exp working in insurance operations

what are my chances of switching to IB?
Original post by HucktheForde
never do A/O levels
Diploma in biology and chemistry
bsc biochemistry 2:2 with honours from UEL
2 years exp working in insurance operations

what are my chances of switching to IB?

Sorry, there not great. With so many graduates coming through with the desired courses for IB (e.g economics related, maths related, accounting related courses) these guys who will have 2:1 or firsts will all be ahead of you in the pecking order for a shot at IB. Also, internships at IB are greatly valued and without some sort of experience its going to be difficult convincing an IB to take u on. Good luck though, the fact you got a 2:2 shows you can hold your own academically,
Original post by Elephant_&Castle
Sorry, there not great. With so many graduates coming through with the desired courses for IB (e.g economics related, maths related, accounting related courses) these guys who will have 2:1 or firsts will all be ahead of you in the pecking order for a shot at IB. Also, internships at IB are greatly valued and without some sort of experience its going to be difficult convincing an IB to take u on. Good luck though, the fact you got a 2:2 shows you can hold your own academically,

ok what do you suggest? I can go to uni all over again and pick econs this time?

but first I need to resign from my job, but is it possible to do the course part time online?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending