The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Donald Duck
Sure, why not? Just make sure you get at least As in A levels, so you go to a really good uni. GCSEs matter little, I got into oxford with 2 Ds :biggrin:

What were your other grades and what subjects?
What did you do and get for A level/
What you doing at Oxford?

Sorry for all the questions I am just interested.

Grant :biggrin:
nnnnl
Lol personally I don't think this thread has any significance. Might be fun though. You're good enough if the employers think you'll be a profitable hire. It's not like uni applications where if you tick certain boxes you're highly likely to get in.

If the interviewer's not feeling it, he's not feeling it! Doesn't matter who you are...

Yes it is. One of the boxes would say 'Can this applicant bring value to the company?', amongst other things.
Here we go. Currently finished second year of maths degree at Warwick with 2 firsts so far. Have only one year left with predicted first overall.

4 A's at A level maths, further maths, chemistry, religious studies

5A*, 3A 1B at GCSE

No IB internship, but channel island work experience at 3 of the big four by the end of the summer.

What are my chances, is it even worth applying for or should i not bother?:biggrin:
unknownFluency
Yes it is. One of the boxes would say 'Can (or will, more than his salary) this applicant bring value to the company?', amongst other things.

That would be the only box to tick. Too bad it's not that easy to know if you should tick though.
sahil112

do you think these are gd grades or not and isit possible for me to still perue my dream of becoming an investment banker if i work hard for my A levels? i really want to become an investment banker**:biggrin:

:rolleyes:

i was actually going to answer your question but after reading that pathetic nonsense i shall not

for those posting GCSE grades there is very little point in asking - the answers in this thread only get meaningful when you have a university place and a-level results at the very minimum - no IB as far as i'm aware of gives two hoots about GCSE (perhaps maybe a pass in maths at most)

** code for 'i have heard people can earn a crap load from working in an IB, so I wish to pursue a career in it'
Reply 25
unknownFluency
Yes it is. One of the boxes would say 'Can this applicant bring value to the company?', amongst other things.

That's not really a "box". Is English your first language? If you apply some common sense, you'd realise that "ticking boxes" means fulfilling criteria that is easily judged, ie things that people of this forum can judge, eg grades, university, course etc.

Bringing value to the company is not a box you can tick. It is an opinion formed by a few individuals who are going to make the final decision, formed after hours of interviews, tests and other wild assesment center madness.
Reply 26
Seems like fun :p:

3 A levels- Maths, Chem, Bio all A grades. 1 AS- Business, A grade (Got 2 A*s and 10 As at GCSE, but don't think it's overly important compared to degree/A levels). About to go into 2nd year Economics (aiming for a BSc) at Nottingham- got a 1st in my first year (but was doing Industrial Economics last year).

Have some experience (during A levels) in an order execution only environment with HSBC stockbroker services- enjoyed it very much and got brilliant feedback from the managers I worked with. Was invited for interview at JP Morgan the other week for Industry Impressions which was a nice experience and gave me a bit more belief that I could have a fighting chance at getting into FO- hopefully I'll get a place on the programme. Hope my experience at HSBC and the fact I've had my first experience of interviews at a top bank (and enjoyed it) will help me when applying for internships.

Thoughts?
Reply 27
Have a good time at Oxford :rolleyes: I want to go there to and do either History and Politics OR Philosophy, Politics, Economics. :eek:

What a nice head teacher you have *jelously kicking in:mad:*

tucker672
Have a good time at Oxford :rolleyes: I want to go there to and do either History and Politics OR Philosophy, Politics, Economics. :eek:

What a nice head teacher you have *jelously kicking in:mad:*

You mind getting rid of the quote of me there? :smile:
Reply 29
Donald Duck
You mind getting rid of the quote of me there? :smile:

Done :cool:
tucker672
Done :cool:

Reply 31
tourist
Some interesting posts in this thread... what do you make of me?

AAB
Gap year working for a charity
LSE Econ History - just finished first year
Secretary (-> interim president) of a subject related soc
Sports 1st team captain, also compete nationally in said sport
Interning in sales (and staying on part time) in a small european IB

You are at LSE?!
No chance!
What do you think mate, stop being silly.
Reply 32
I am studying Chemistry at Imperial and received first class in my first year. (Also got AAA in my A-levels) But I have OK EC's but they are not great. Will I have a very good chance of getting interviews or offers (summer internship) from top Banks (finance division)? Also, compared to FO is finance division (i.e. Credit Risk) much easier to get into?
Reply 33
Just wondering how much a B at A level in Maths would set me back for IBD. I got AAAB so I do technically have 3As at A level. I've just finished my first year (Econ) at one of these top 6 unis that keep getting banded about; but it's the maths a level I'm curious about.
I'm sure not that much since I suspect a fair few people have got into IBD without A-level maths.
Reply 35
ALion
Just wondering how much a B at A level in Maths would set me back for IBD. I got AAAB so I do technically have 3As at A level. I've just finished my first year (Econ) at one of these top 6 unis that keep getting banded about; but it's the maths a level I'm curious about.

Really? Which one lets people without an A in maths in?
Reply 36
Re: The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

i would think that you can becouse once you enter IB they will teach you the financial side of business anyway so dont worry it wont set you back:smile:
Drogue
Really? Which one lets people without an A in maths in?

Probably Nottingham as they require either AAA or AABB.

Edit: He is at Warwick not Nottingham.
Reply 38
Meh, Warwick didn't let me in with a B in maths. And Notts wouldn't be in the commonly-quoted top 6.
Drogue
Meh, Warwick didn't let me in with a B in maths. And Notts wouldn't be in the commonly-quoted top 6.

He did say he was studying economics, so I thought Nottingham might be in the top 6.

Quick Reply

Latest