The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
uthinkilltellu
prove me wrong my friend, prove me wrong...

Remind me in 3 years :wink:
Reply 81
So actually having psoted my CV, i was hoping for some feedback ,especialy related to my interest in corporate finance, private bankign and consulting (MCKinsey, BCG, Roland Berger, the big ones..).
KLL
Remind me in 3 years :wink:

wel im abut to star studyin english at de montfort but i think ima get a frist so i dno but i fink if i get de firs den i can du Infestment Benking tho yeah? hopfuly at liek goldmen saks????

No offence, but what youre saying sounds dumber than what i just said.
Reply 83
Do I have any hope of getting a job in IB? I heard you have to graduate from a top 5 universities, would IIT be fine?
Reply 84
fieryiceissweet
wel im abut to star studyin english at de montfort but i think ima get a frist so i dno but i fink if i get de firs den i can du Infestment Benking tho yeah? hopfuly at liek goldmen saks????

There's no need to be that patronizing about it
Reply 85
fieryiceissweet

i'm pretty sure i said none of the above and i'm sorry, but i relly can't be bothered to spellcheck for posting on an online forum with a broken keyboard

i was looking for an oppinion of someone of whom i can belive he has an idea of what hes talking about. all i know about you at this stage is that you seem to be either quite the ****** or an arse
fieryiceissweet

i was *wtf?* all the way untill i read the last line, then i simply lol'ed.

KLL: you've done some nifty stuff in germany, but your biggest hinderance is Leicester uni mate, I'm not saying its impossible to get into FO in 2nd tiered IB, or even in a germany centric boutique, but it will be very very hard.

Most of the online application forms have have an automatic cut-off points. So if, for example, you've achieved less than BBB at a-lvl, then you'll be automatically rejected no matter how good your ECs are. The same goes for unis, if your uni isn't in the bank's 'catchment area' you'll be automatically rejected. So, imo, forget about GS, MS, etc. Go for banks like KBC FP, Fortis, Santander, Commerzbank, Lloyds, etc.

What I would do in your place is to reject Leicester and spend a year redoing A-levels, or doing whatever you have to, to get into one of the following unis:

Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imprerial, Warick, KCL, Notts, Durham.
Reply 87
Yea, i don'T think i'll redo a high school degree i did 3 years ago.
And as I said, i'll likely be looking to do a masters.
MY application with GS, DrK and SocGen has not been rejected even with my rather mediocre IB, so I somehow can't really belive what you're saying.
Reply 88
Kindly advise guys:

GCSE's- 3A*'s, 5A'S. 3BS's

Predicted A-levels: AABB/aaab (Economics, History, Geography, business).

Expected Uni: Nottingham- BA Economics

A-level IB summer internship offers: Deutsche Bank "I have a dream" scheme (very competitve application process- 2 round interviews), Citi Bank's 1-week programme, HSBC....

Work Experience: Currently interning at HSBC in Global Markets Operations for 8 weeks. However, using my initiative to Network effectively with heads of FO divisions such as Equity, FX and emerging markets and economic research. tried my best to leave a good impression during those sessions.

EC'S: Charity/developement work completed in Nigeria in 2005, "MAN O WAR" leadership scheme certificate of merit, Virtual investment portfolio, lead school team that enetered the IFS/DB student investor challenge 2008, Target 2.0 team member....

IB areas of interest- Investment management, Emerging marktes research, Equity research, economic research...
Jibzy
Kindly advise guys:

GCSE's- 3A*'s, 4A'S. 4BS's

Predicted A-levels: AABB/aaab (Economics, History, Geography, business).

Expected Uni: Nottingham- BA Economics

A-level IB summer internship offers: Deutsche Bank "I have a dream" scheme (very competitve application process- 2 round interviews), Citi Bank's 1-week programme, HSBC....

Work Experience: Currently interning at HSBC in Global Markets Operations for 8 weeks. However, using my initiative to Network effectively with heads of FO divisions such as Equity, FX and emerging markets and economic research. tried my best to leave a good impression during those sessions.

EC'S: Charity/developement work completed in Nigeria in 2005, "MAN O WAR" leadership scheme certificate of merit, Virtual investment portfolio, lead school team that enetered the IFS/DB student investor challenge 2008, Target 2.0 team member....

IB areas of interest- Investment management, Emerging marktes research, Equity research, economic research...

Think i told you this before mate, but you got a good chance if you ask me, up there with all the oxbridge/LSE lot cos of this intern thing. Plus, despite what this forum thinks, there aren't THAT many super-keen 17/18yr olds about!
Reply 90
^^Better chance than ANY student who hasn't done an internship.
Reply 91
Right folks.

I've been enjoying reading this forum recently and thought I'd put myself out there. I've never at all been career orientated but have now decided to give it some thought. A career somewhere in finance is pretty attractive I figure.

I'm starting the 4th year of an MMath in Durham in October. I have straight A's at GCSE/A-level and an average of 80% so far in my degree. I've no real relevant work experience, and my knowledge of finance/economics/whatever is pretty piss poor.

If you were me, what would you do? Any books I can read to get into the basics straight away? I am free this Christmas, Easter and the following summer with a view to get some real experience. What sort of things should I be applying or? I went to talks last year on audit/tax/accountancy/etc but none of it really interested me. Reading threads here really sparks up an achieving/competitive side to me. :wink:

Apologies if I'm being a bit vague, but I've only recently been starting to research and poke about a bit. Cheers chaps.
Christo
Right folks.

right pink bubble with arms and legs (and is it shoes i'm seeing?!)

Christo
I've been enjoying reading this forum recently and thought I'd put myself out there. I've never at all been career orientated but have now decided to give it some thought. A career somewhere in finance is pretty attractive I figure.

aswell as an attractive figure.

Christo
I'm starting the 4th year of an MMath in Durham in October. I have straight A's at GCSE/A-level and an average of 80% so far in my degree. I've no real relevant work experience, and my knowledge of finance/economics/whatever is pretty piss poor..

oooh!

Christo
If you were me, what would you do?

look for work experience instead of wasting the summer on some dodgy forums.

Christo
Any books I can read to get into the basics straight away?

"guns, traders and money" by Satyajit Das is the best concise/introductory book that i've read so far. But its solely focused on (markets) trading equity dervs side of things.

Christo
I am free this Christmas, Easter and the following summer with a view to get some real experience. What sort of things should I be applying or?

anything and everything (thats is relevant to IB) that you could stick on your CV, aswell as, insight days, spring programmes, etc.

Christo
Apologies if I'm being a bit vague, but I've only recently been starting to research and poke about a bit. Cheers chaps.

it could be too late to get into a grad programme, but you could still apply to banks as an assistant trader and into various MO/BO functions. look at recruitment agencies, hays, joslin rowe, etc aswell as efinancialcareers.com
Reply 93
Time to put myself out there:

A Levels: AABc

Degree: Maths and Economics (Natural Science Programme) Bsc got 2:1s in first and second year exams, now going into final year.

Work experience: Currently doing an internship at the computer sciences corporation in their business intelligence department. Also done all the normal summer jobs: cashier, waiting, catering assistant, bar work, building site work, warehouse work, etc, etc.

Extra curriculars: Played for various college sports teams, done some fundraising for uni charity, took kids from deprived backgrounds on holiday for a week, held some minor JCR positions. Maybe elected shop manager (which is quite a big position) in near future... last election didn't meet quota.

Not really interested in hardcore IBing more management consultancy type things.
Reply 94
Thanks very much. I'll get my reading glasses out.

ssmoose: you doing the maths finance module next year?
Reply 95
ssmoose
Time to put myself out there:

A Levels: AABc

Degree: Maths and Economics (Natural Science Programme) Bsc got 2:1s in first and second year exams, now going into final year.

Work experience: Currently doing an internship at the computer sciences corporation in their business intelligence department. Also done all the normal summer jobs: cashier, waiting, catering assistant, bar work, building site work, warehouse work, etc, etc.

Extra curriculars: Played for various college sports teams, done some fundraising for uni charity, took kids from deprived backgrounds on holiday for a week, held some minor JCR positions. Maybe elected shop manager (which is quite a big position) in near future... last election didn't meet quota.

Not really interested in hardcore IBing more management consultancy type things.

I guess uv just got to match ur skill set to those required by consultancy firms. I hear alot of consultancy work is very client facing and also very analytical. just reading your activities, it appears that u may be suited to consultancy!!!
long time prowler, first time contributor:

uni: Manchester Econ (BSc) scraped 2.1 in yr 1.

a-levels: BBB

GCSEs: 9 Bs

work experience:
- Goldman Sachs equities (vanilla) trading assistant - got SII level 3 certificate. (11 moths - gap year)
- Golman Sachs equities settlements (post a-level summer - 2 months)
- JPM IBD spring progamme (1 week)

ECs: y'know TV, girls, booz, life, TSR...
Reply 97
ssmoose: you doing the maths finance module next year

Nah, Decision, Stats and something else... If I were to go financy I'd probably do it from the Economics department anyway, someone said the maths involved in mathematical finance module is mental... and I'm a bit **** at maths.

uni: Cambridge Maths (BA) got 1:1 in yr1.

a-levels: 6A

GCSEs: 13A*

work experience: none

ECs: president of econ society, treasurer of volunteering soc, captain of 1st XI football, lifeguard.
Reply 99
uthinkilltellu

uni: Cambridge Maths (BA) got 1:1 in yr1.

a-levels: 6A

GCSEs: 13A*

work experience: none

ECs: president of econ society, treasurer of volunteering soc, captain of 1st XI football, lifeguard.

im confused lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending