The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Jibzy
if you have NO financial experience i.e -even a spring week on ur CV by ur final YEAR, then it is almost impossible for you to land a a place on the graduate scheme when u finish uni.
this waas what we werre told.

times are hard. blame the market.

Any suggestion on what I should do??
Reply 121
Jibzy
if you have NO financial experience i.e -even a spring week on ur CV by ur final YEAR, then it is almost impossible for you to land a a place on the graduate scheme when u finish uni.

Who told you that mate?
UglyDuckling

don't give up.
Just been reading the thread... Looks like standards are slightly higher than i anticipated. Ive just finished first year doing straight economics at Uni of Sheffield. Got a 2:2. A levels are ABB.

Will my 2:2 in first year prevent me getting an internship?

The rest of my CV should look pretty boss, I'm starting up a business this September which should turnover about £500 a month and I'm always doing wholesale deals in clothing and jewelerry and also have a couple of festival/gigs ticketing services.

I was looking for advice on whether to apply for the top investment banks or be more realistic and aim for standard banks.

Does anyone know much about commodity trading houses for internships?
Jamie Duggan
Just been reading the thread... Looks like standards are slightly higher than i anticipated. Ive just finished first year doing straight economics at Uni of Sheffield. Got a 2:2. A levels are ABB.

Will my 2:2 in first year prevent me getting an internship?

The rest of my CV should look pretty boss, I'm starting up a business this September which should turnover about £500 a month and I'm always doing wholesale deals in clothing and jewelerry and also have a couple of festival/gigs ticketing services.

I was looking for advice on whether to apply for the top investment banks or be more realistic and aim for standard banks.

Does anyone know much about commodity trading houses for internships?

you probably won't stand a chance, no offense. You pretty much have to go to top 4/6 uni's to get in. I don't either, but life is unfair and you just have to deal with it. :smile:
Jibzy

Disagree, a friend started grad job and many people did not have internships from unis such as newcastle etc etc. Degrees such as pyschology, geography not from target unis etc.

Still possible albeit alot harder.
Reply 126
UglyDuckling

Im not in the best position to advise. i shud be taking advise from u (as a final year student)

ask people like Drogue!
Oh .. my advice? Never go travelling during the holidays. I've been travelling all over Europe for the past Winter, Easter and Summer holidays.. and I'm regretting it now!!

And also, I have to admit that getting into Oxbridge/LSE is indeed, as a matter of fact, IMPORTANT in securing a job (speaking from past experience)!! Not that I'm blaming my university, but I don't find myself studying a Physics degree at Durham University is any helpful. Let's just hope less application will be received from those university.
Reply 128
UglyDuckling
Oh .. my advice? Never go travelling during the holidays. I've been travelling all over Europe for the past Winter, Easter and Summer holidays.. and I'm regretting it now!!

And also, I have to admit that getting into Oxbridge/LSE is indeed, as a matter of fact, IMPORTANT in securing a job (speaking from past experience)!! Not that I'm blaming my university, but I don't find myself studying a Physics degree at Durham University is any helpful. Let's just hope less application will be received from those university.

Durham is a top 10 school. i dont think it matters much if its no the "top 6 click" in the eyes of "SOME" IB's. if you want an FO role badly and are willing to go tthe distance, being at durham shudnt hold u back in anyway???

even if the intake from uni's like durham is little, i guess u could still be part of that "little" group taken??
Thanks for the advise about not travelling btw lol:wink:
Jibzy
Durham is a top 10 school. i dont think it matters much if its no the "top 6 click" in the eyes of "SOME" IB's. if you want an FO role badly and are willing to go tthe distance, being at durham shudnt hold u back in anyway???

even if the intake from uni's like durham is little, i guess u could still be part of that "little" group taken??
Thanks for the advise about not travelling btw lol:wink:

durham will get you past the online cut-off, but the onus will be on you to impress them during the interviews in order to persuade them to give you a place over the oxbridge/lse yolk.
prospectivEEconomist
you probably won't stand a chance, no offense. You pretty much have to go to top 4/6 uni's to get in. I don't either, but life is unfair and you just have to deal with it. :smile:

yeah safe thought just as much.

I want to get into broking ideally. Or investment banking. Is it worth applying for banks that aren't at the top of the pile. do they still take on interns in IB divisions?

thanks
yep. you can also try big4 corp fin.

also, brokering isn't considered to be as prestigious as IB, so brokerage houses might have lower expectations.
Reply 132
UglyDuckling

I thought Durham was supposed to have a good physics department, top 5 maybe?
uthinkilltellu

also, brokering isn't considered to be as prestigious as IB, so brokerage houses might have lower expectations.

I swear big 4 corp fin need AAB at A levels..
Christo
I thought Durham was supposed to have a good physics department, top 5 maybe?

Physics at Durham is brilliant. Top 3.
Is it as difficult for tech positions?

I did undergrad at Westminster (got a 1st), didn't do A-levels (did a BTED ND, which I kinda regret but also really enjoyed..) and will be going to LSE to do an MSc (ADMIS) next year (grad 2010).

I have work experience at the MOD as an IT Analyst/Developer and will be completing a year (before LSE entry) at Cisco (again IT/Business Analyst) before the end of the year.

Any idea? I'm pretty sure tech positions are slightly easier to get into, but not entirely sure if I have a chance of a decent position.
uthinkilltellu

big4 corp fin?

could you list a few brokerage houses please?
... also how important do you all think going to these spring week things are in first year?
Reply 137
Hi just wondering what chance of getting into IB i would have with a degree in Chemical Engineering from Imperial, UCl or Nottingham. Thanks
fonzievision
Physics at Durham is brilliant. Top 3.

Indeed. But I doubt any company has a list of departmental ranking.
Jamie Duggan
big4 corp fin?

could you list a few brokerage houses please?
... also how important do you all think going to these spring week things are in first year?

corporate finance in PWC, KPMG, et al.

the only brokerage houses i've heard of are voltrex, icap and killik, don't know if they are good or not.

Zerodos
Hi just wondering what chance of getting into IB i would have with a degree in Chemical Engineering from Imperial, UCl or Nottingham. Thanks

very good - and in that order.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending