The Student Room Group

i'm 16 (in 2 weeks) - i need a job - can't get one

i dont understand my friends have jobs
i've looked everywhere - ive been online and in shops and applied/asked in at least FIFTY shops
i live in london as well so i thought it'd be easy
i doubt its my age cos they never ask for it and i look older than 16 too
it's hacking me off
i need money and soon
i even applied to mcdonalds twice and i got rejected - twice. biggest p*** take ever
i don't have any experience but at the end of the day you gotta start somewhere so i'm surprised not even ONE shop has offered me a job
my cv's good...considering i dont have my GCSEs yet

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? it's really getting me down - like really; to the point of the early stages of depression

HELP ANYONE HELP!

p.s. its a part time job i need cos im going to college late auguast/september but i dont mind working weekends after the summer

i also put my predicted grades in my cv which are mainly As and include an A* for MATHS i mean come on what more would any employer want?!

also i've finished compulsary education so i should technically be eligible for a job

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow, McDonald's turned you down? You are certainly doing something wrong. Prehaps it's because you're not actually 16 yet? Similarly it may be because technically you actually have no GCSEs at the moment.

I wouldnt worry about it too much, you're still young and going to college so that should be your main focus. If you're really struggeling, look into getting EMA.
Reply 2
Ive always been told that most places wont recruit until your 16 and nine months...
Reply 3
trefusis128
Ive always been told that most places wont recruit until your 16 and nine months...

Utter rubbish. Legally they cannot ask for your age other then to confirm you are over 16 (or 18 for some jobs).
Reply 4
The swines Lied! Im gonna write me an angry letter and then fail to post it...
Reply 5
trefusis128
The swines Lied! Im gonna write me an angry letter and then fail to post it...

If someone refuses to hire you because of your age then you can take your case to an employment tribunal and sue. It's age discrimination and illegal.
Reply 6
i dont understand ive finished my compulsary education and on the macdonalds website i put my age in this age checker and they said i was ok cos im 15 and 11 months
mcdonalds is hardly rocket science so this was the point where i thought - wow, i really am the most unluckiest person ever

once i wanted an ice cream with a cone and i asked how much it was and the guy working there didnt know and i had to check myself - i mean COME ON - i think i'm more than qualified to work in mc donalds
Reply 7
I didnt mean I'd been turned away from a job because of my age, just "word on the street" if you will. Tbh I've yet to try finding employment :biggrin:
Reply 8
Mrs_Sylar
i dont understand ive finished my compulsary education and on the macdonalds website i put my age in this age checker and they said i was ok cos im 15 and 11 months
mcdonalds is hardly rocket science so this was the point where i thought - wow, i really am the most unluckiest person ever

As I said, there must be other factors. Have you created a professional looking CV? Are you realistic with your job searching? Have you got to any of the interview stages or were they all declined at the initial application?
Reply 9
work online...there are plenty of ways to make money online :smile:
Lithium

real, proper money? or twenty pence a month for 10dozen questionnaires?
Reply 11
Lithium

Ive yet to find anything reliable other then the 'textperts' type positions which are near impossible to get into.
Reply 12
online applications have been declined - either because of my inexperience or some other kind of bull
my cv has been proof read and updated with the help from my mum my form tutor and my sister who's a doctor and tbh she knows her stuff and said it was v.good
i haven't even got to the interview stage yet - people just take my cv and put it under the desk (most probably to discard it later)
and ive searched in the top london high street stores with no luck like clothes stores and stuff...maybe it is discrimination who knows
Reply 13
Hmm, could be because you're looking for a temporary position. I know of many students who struggled to find only evening/weekend work.

Keep looking in all the typical student type hiring places: Supermarkets, restaurants and shops.
Reply 14
trefusis128
real, proper money? or twenty pence a month for 10dozen questionnaires?

Affiliate marketing has done me well...quite well actually, i ain't a millionaire, but it makes me some extra money :smile:

Google it, you'll see for yourself. it takes some time, but it's an easy, cheap way to make some money...it really depends on what your take on it is though :smile:

best of luck :smile:
Reply 15
Reue
Ive yet to find anything reliable other then the 'textperts' type positions which are near impossible to get into.

Affiliate marketing, see my post above :smile: just Google away :wink:
Because. your still at school, you currently under the age of being insured on virtualy everybodies insurence and this is probably the worst time of year to get a job, as there are sooo many people just a year older than you going for the jobs that you can do.

Anyway.. try call centres (awful work but its money) and catering companies who often need pepole to wait functions.

But i would just like to say, im sure there are over people in this forum who would say, having a job whilst doing your GCSE's is a pain in the arse because youve got such a variety and length of stuff to study for.
Getting a job is very difficult at the moment as it is. You probably are at a disadvantage because of your age and no GCSEs yet but I handed CVs in everywhere and heard no replies either...and I'm 19 with decent A level subjects and grades as well as GCSEs! I finally got a job at Sainsbury's which i got offered yesterday but stupid hours as that's all that is available here at the moment. I got it through the job centre website. If you try the Jobcentre website and in the search function choose the option to view vacancies posted in the last 24 hours and phone them up they may invite you for an interview over the phone. I wasn't even asked my age until I was at the interviews themselves. I have only done that twice, got two interviews, and got one of the jobs all in under a week. Maybe I was just lucky for once but it's worth a try. Otherwise perhaps look for jobs again about mid September once the holidays have finished. Good luck :smile:
Reply 18
thanks for everyone's help - i'm gonna resume looking tomoz and if i have no luck by next week i swear i will die!!!!!!!!!!! (of boredom and of being skint!!)

p.s. i have finished my education though roogbagnall and tbh i should be employed because they wont have to give me proper minimum wage yet so those tesco/sainsburys tycoons or what-e will have more cash to pocket to spend on massive houses in Hawaii :frown:
Reply 19
don't take this wrong way but perhaps your ugly or that you don't make a good appearance. have you considered that?

Latest

Trending

Trending