The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
how do people survive on minimum wage - its ok if u dont have to pay bills and that but if youve got kids and youre a single parent etc...boy
Mrs_Sylar
are you working full time though

Nope... about 20-25 hours a week. :smile:
Reply 62
squid
No, I don't do that. I use skills, I don't sit here filling in ****ty internet surveys, I work for money. People who do ****ty surveys for money are a disgrace.

lol calm down dear
its a commercial :woo:
Reply 63
^^^Looool
your best hope is getting a job through someone you know - otherwise just keep looking

I made a few hundred online in a few weeks doing things I shouldn't have done, but moneys money :wink:
Reply 65
I have a job at sainsbury's, i've been there a year now and i love it!

I got it just after finishing my GCSEs and I think what helped a lot was the fact that I sent it in with a job application letter, I set out why I wanted a job (to earn money so I could afford to go to university!) and it was my chance to explain that I was trustworthy, hard-working and responsible, as there's not much room for such statements on a CV.

I hope you find a job soon!:biggrin:
My friends got a job at a call centre for gas and electricity and he earns £400 a week It's sooo not fair. We've both finished our Gcse's but why have i not got a job and he has i've looked everywhere. :angry:
Reply 67
jojo1991
I set out why I wanted a job (to earn money so I could afford to go to university!)
I hope you find a job soon!:biggrin:

ingenious

even if thats true for you - its a good way to get a job
Mrs_Sylar
omg what could be possibly wrong with my cv -

No one can tell you unless you post it up for review. :rolleyes:
Reply 69
haha yeah it was true! I earn £224 every 4 weeks (£4.67 an hour) and keep £80 for myself, the rest goes into a high interest bank account.

I'm finding it increasingly hard to keep to my £80 though, so i'm doing loads of overtime this summer which is amazingly easy to do if you work somewhere like a supermarket because they always need people!
Reply 70
crouchmagic
your best hope is getting a job through someone you know - otherwise just keep looking

I made a few hundred online in a few weeks doing things I shouldn't have done, but moneys money :wink:

If you have a relative who could get you something, that is the way to go. My friend got a "job" shreading paper with his uncles company. He worked 2 days (not even full days) and got over £200.

Oh, and crouchmagic... however you got that money online, PM me. I dont care how you got it so long as its not gay prostituation, Ill do it.*

*but if the price is right...
Reply 71
squid
http://affiliatefuture.com
http://cj.com
http://paidonresults.net

Sign up, get idiots to complete the tasks for say, £2 each, then you can make upwards of £20 from each one.

Some of the things give you £36, so pay someone £5 to do it, and you make £31 :smile: It works really well, but in my opinion it's a complete waste of time, instead of using your time doing that, learn a language or how to design and build sites for loads more + It's creative and not monotonous.

Ive looked into website building but I doubt I have the time/motivation/skill to make a decent one. Ill have a look at those links...
im also turning 16 in 2 weeks, i also live in london, i've also handed in many cv and applied to many jobs, i've also had no replies since - your not alone :smile:
Reply 73
gunners r us
im also turning 16 in 2 weeks, i also live in london, i've also handed in many cv and applied to many jobs, i've also had no replies since - your not alone :smile:

apply for mcdonalds you'll probably get accepted there. i wouldnt have minded working there but with my lifelong bad luck i got rejected :wink:
squid
http://affiliatefuture.com
http://cj.com
http://paidonresults.net

Sign up, get idiots to complete the tasks for say, £2 each, then you can make upwards of £20 from each one.

Some of the things give you £36, so pay someone £5 to do it, and you make £31 :smile: It works really well, but in my opinion it's a complete waste of time, instead of using your time doing that, learn a language or how to design and build sites for loads more + It's creative and not monotonous.

I am really good at designing websites (not being big headed, just people have told me I am :smile:)

How would I go about advertising to make these?
Do you need to be qualified in it?
Any help. Thanks :biggrin:
squid
Show some examples please :smile:

Anyway, no, just simply sign up and get people to use your links. There's many ways you can do it, build a website with incentives, build a simple explanation site or just ask friends.

If you're really actually good at designing, want to go into partnership? I have a server and I know php well enough to build a system for it, we could set up a nice site and make loads ;D

There all on computer & I am on laptop :frown:... will p.m you them when I have my computer :biggrin:. I like your idea :biggrin: ... Do you make them? :smile:
Reply 76
OP, I feel your pain! My bf's 18 but hasn't got much experience and he's finding it so hard to find a job, he's had 1 interview and applied to like 15+ places, I swear. We live in Bristol, it's a pretty big city I guess, and still no luck :frown: I don't know where to go next with him.. it's so hard. I'm working at the job centre too lol! I mean I do job searches every day but most jobs seem to be for labourers and stuff. And he's going to uni in September, so anywhere he got a job at would be for about a month.. ugh :frown: squid- thanks for the links (I know I didn't ask but they seem useful lol), might have to PM you later tho
Reply 77
Have you found a job yet?!?!
Mrs_Sylar
i dont understand ive finished my compulsary education and on the macdonalds website i put my age in this age checker and they said i was ok cos im 15 and 11 months
mcdonalds is hardly rocket science so this was the point where i thought - wow, i really am the most unluckiest person ever

once i wanted an ice cream with a cone and i asked how much it was and the guy working there didnt know and i had to check myself - i mean COME ON - i think i'm more than qualified to work in mc donalds

DW about it I applied aswell in about 5 of them and got turned down .. along with zillions of other shops and things lol !
Freud
In retail they want someone who is quiet, unambitious, helpful, yet content with being on a till for 4 hours stretches.

In my experience in retail, thats not neccesarily true, many people ive seen are chatty and some ambitious, most people in retail in my area are part time uni or college students.

To the OP, I dont think there is going to be a problem with your CV however I believe there is going to be a problem in the way you follow those CV's up. Before we switched to online recruitment at work we must of had 10+ people every weekend handing in CV's, it is not actually that helpful, you need to get an application form and fill that in, if the business you want to work for doesnt have application forms phone the store or go in and ask to speak to a manager regarding recruitment, it makes a much better impression than dumping CV's on a person near enough your age because tbh many dont give a damn whether it reaches the management or not.

You have to realise that not everyone has a right to a job so you have to be serious and do some legwork (even if its just a part time job), chase up those CV's with phone calls or emails, find out the name of the person in charge of recruitment, people who do this are the ones who get employed not the ones who CV blanket.

Also, the reason you may not have got a job quite yet could simply be because of your age, someone mentioned the age discrimination laws, which is quite true you cant be told uve been unsuccessful because of your age however if it makes employing you more expensive (they would have to pay extra insurance for U16's) then they can just make up another excuse not to employ you, sorry but im being completly honest you, as that is the best way to help you find work.

Latest

Trending

Trending