The Student Room Group

private tutor for french

I'm wanting to take french A-level alongside the 3 sciences and maths. I was originally going to change chemistry to french. I can't because I'm the only one who wants to take french.

I can't choose a different 6th form as I start this September.

I was thinking of getting a private tutor and asking my school to allow me to sit the exam.

So for A-level french, any idea how much a private tutor would cost?
I will probably ring around to some places but I just want some thoughts and opinions first.
do you need a tutor - a tutor to teach you the entire thing is going to be expensive - roughly £20 an hour.

would you be able to self teach then get a tutor just to do some final revision with?
Reply 2
eulerwaswrong
do you need a tutor - a tutor to teach you the entire thing is going to be expensive - roughly £20 an hour.

would you be able to self teach then get a tutor just to do some final revision with?

French is hard to self teach because I wouldn't know what vocab I'd need to learn. Plus, a speaking exam is involved so I would really need to be taught the stuff :confused:
Reply 3
If your school has put french as an option for A level then they do have to provide a teacher even if there is only one student, but yes, private tutors are pricey, i had one because our school gave us a pitiful amount of lessons, cost me £20 per hour. It was well worth having a tutor though.
Reply 4
bodybutter
If your school has put french as an option for A level then they do have to provide a teacher even if there is only one student, but yes, private tutors are pricey, i had one because our school gave us a pitiful amount of lessons, cost me £20 per hour. It was well worth having a tutor though.

Our school won't allow us to take a subject unless there's enough people taking it........

I really want to take french but it looks as though I'm at a dead end really.
Reply 5
Could you maybe find someone you know who has done A-level or higher french that could help you? And then get a tutor or speak to the french teacher at your college to make sure you've got everything right before the exams.
Reply 6
Our school won't allow us to take a subject unless there's enough people taking it........

Our school ran french with only one student, I think you should push your school until you get them to provide a teacher, french is a really enjoyable A level, and llike you said for the speaking exam you will need extra help and a teacher to conduct the exam... keep pestering your school until you get your way!
Reply 7
hey im looking into something a bit like this. had any luck??

Latest